After Reset - Funding Unsuccessful

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The kickstarter for After Reset has failed to get funded. The developer Black Cloud Studios has a new update with more information.

Our Kickstarter is almost done, and rather than waste your time merely discussing how thankful we are for your support, I’ll simply say that all of us at Black Cloud Studios have been inspired by your love and support throughout the campaign.

Some might view this campaign as a failure, but even though we didn’t collect the $900k needed to complete the development of our game - we did attract more than 1300 classic RPG fans to our cause, and we received two proposals from serious international studios. Sure, one door has closed - but others have opened up to replace it. The game will still be made, but (sadly) it will take much longer this way. We’ll still continue to forward our major website updates, and press releases, to Kickstarter even after the campaign finishes.

So, what comes next? And what does it mean to you, the backer?

Simply put, our plan B at this point is to offer direct backing on our website, adding a few unique features for those who supported us this way (mostly based on community feedback). Backers who pledge over $20 will receive access to our current tech build (available for download by the end of the week), and backers over $35 will also receive exclusive access to a private forum only for 'co-founders,’ where you’ll have the opportunity to participate in polls, developer discussions, and more.

We’re also giving away a few planned ADD-ONs to everyone who directly backs (e.g. feat to learn like Field Weapons Feat which will give you ability to use such rare weapons like the YK42B Pulse Rifle from Fallout 2). Additionally, we’re offering a special thank you for everyone who backed us on Kickstarter for $100 or more, for when you make a direct pledge (and include your KS account name for verification with our analytics):

• Every KS backer of $100 and more will receive the "WAILING WALL" FEATURE for free.
• $275 or more will receive "NAME A WEAPON" FEATURE for free.
• And $525 or more will receive "PERSONAL CHARACTER APPEARANCE" FEATURE for free as well.

You can find out more about these rewards under the ‘Digital Add-ons’ section, below. Naturally, we hope you’ll be generous when it comes to direct backing, but every penny counts - and we know that it’s asking a lot to switch to direct backing, but if we can raise $40-50k and complete the prologue, we’ll be able to show it off on Steam Early Access by Summer of 2014 (since we’re already green lit), and we’re confident that this will give us the momentum we need to secure additional funding. The prologue will include character creation, general game mechanics and stats, and 4-5 areas to explore. This should equate to roughly 1 - 2 hours of actual gameplay, and will require 6-8 months of development to complete (with funding).
More information.

I backed this game but I think a bit part of the reason it failed is that while they touted it as "like the Fallout 3 we wanted / never got", they revealed that the combat system would be real-time (presumably RT with pause)... Now I'm OK with real-time with pause, looking forward to Pillars of Eternity after all, but I will always consider it the next best thing to turn-based RPGs. And I would think a lot of fans of Fallout 1 & 2 would have been far more excited for a turn-based spiritual successor.

Of course, there was no way an unknown studio was going to get $900K right before X-mas. Hope their direct crowdfunding works out for them.

It seems great, but there is simply kickstarter fatique - I think most people backed many oldschool RPGs and are now simply waiting for results before delving into further kickstarting. I know I am.

Still I hope it does get made, somehow.

It seems great, but there is simply kickstarter fatique - I think most people backed many oldschool RPGs and are now simply waiting for results before delving into further kickstarting. I know I am.

Still I hope it does get made, somehow.

I think you're right. Once more of the kickstarted games come out (Wasteland 2, Broken Age, Banner Saga), their success (or lack their of) will influence people's decisions on kickstarting future games.

That being said, After Reset looked like a great idea but its a lot of money to be asked for from relative unknowns.

I don't think failing of this campaign was related with Kickstarter fatique. From the heydays of crowdfunding to this day in order to amass 900k $ either you have a famous IP or a famous company or you must be famous person or a build of the game with a strong presentation.

Developers of this game know they can't reach their goal from the beginning. Whole purpose of this Kickstarter was marketing, to interest people to your game. It's obvious. Actually many small company began to use this method to increase their fanbase. Kickstarter, your new cheap marketing media. :)

Developers of this game know they can't reach their goal from the beginning. Whole purpose of this Kickstarter was marketing, to interest people to your game. It's obvious. Actually many small company began to use this method to increase their fanbase. Kickstarter, your new cheap marketing media. :)

Well I can't fault them as it's easy, and it's free marketing.;) I'm looking forward to the short prologue. Hopefully it allows the developer to make the final game.

As for $900,000 that's about right for a game this size, and I agree with you. The problem is there not inXile or Obsidian. Not every developer can get 4 million on empty promises, and big name talent.

Back
Top Bottom