Alpha Protocol - Similar But Different From ‘Mass Effect’

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Little interview on MTV about the little diffences.
For one, “Alpha Protocol”’s dialogue tree, dubbed by Obsidian as the “Dialogue Stance System,” has timed responses. As players take on the role of super spy Michael Thorton, they will have control of Thorton’s reactions and interactions with other characters via the dialogue system. While there are a few options to choose from, including nice and aggressive responses, the player must choose quickly and carefully. Decide too slowly and your character will revert to saying something that suits the previous stance you selected. Also, non-player characters will not always react in the same way. Rucinski told me that conversations are “cinematic presentations,” and players won’t always have the same conversations. Players will also have a detailed chat log to refer to.
More information.

Timed dialogs? What a terrible idea. My interest in this game goes from bad to worse.
And what about gamers with reading difficulties?

As "cinematic presentations", reading probably won't be a required skill. This type of thing didn't really work for Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy on the other side of the pond), but maybe it'll work here. I'm not against trying out new ideas. As much as sitting back and thinking your choices over can be great, developers are trying to make their games move move-like and dynamic. I like that, personally.

I liked the dialog system in Fahrenheit. I also liked the story and the presentation. I didn't like the silly button-sequence action sequences. It could also have used somewhat harder and more frequent puzzles; on-rails adventure games live and die on them, otherwise they just become movies where you get to click on some buttons from time to time -- which is, unfortunately, what happened to that game.

I like this idea. The old dialogue tree could certainly use a new twist. Done right, this could be really fun and engaging.

Back
Top Bottom