Unrest - An Unconventional RPG Set in Ancient India

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
As you know I'm always looking at new indie RPG's and kickstarters. This time I came across a game that might interest some members. The kickstarter is called Unrest, and is set in India.

Unrest is a story driven RPG set in ancient India in the midst of an uprising. Play as ordinary men and women struggling for safety, freedom, food for their children, and a chance at peace.

• Explore the drought and famine stricken streets of an ancient Indian city, where a fog of hunger and discontent shrouds the natural beauty of the land.
  • Use the detailed conversation system to instill fear, command respect and gain the trust and friendship of others. Understand your enemies and make them see your side of the story.
  • The narrative adapts to failure and death - instead of a game over screen, the plot continues and your fate becomes part of it. However, you can still save and load at any time if you want to.
  • Make tough and interesting decisions in the lives of people untouched by destiny. The traditional hero’s quest of prophecy, power, and revenge forms a backdrop to your own struggles.
  • Combat is brutal, decisive…and always avoidable. Bloodshed might be the easy way out in some situations, but has lasting consequences beyond those apparent on the surface.
  • Hand drawn 2D art and soundtrack based on ancient Indian music to help you immerse yourself in the world.
  • Full mod support lets you create your own worlds and adventures.
  • Unrest will be available DRM-Free on multiple digital stores, without any DLC or micro-transactions. We promise.
More information.

Play as ordinary men and women struggling for safety, freedom, food for their children, and a chance at peace.

WTF?

Hmm, seems rather laden with cliché....or maybe it's meant to be ironic? :p

Sadly the game seems to be about contemporary India rather than ancient India. Well, parts of it anyway.

Lol, I saw the name "Unrest" and thought someone was talking about my EQ2 server. When I read what it actually is about, I lost interest.

-Carn

I just realized what's wrong with the game shots: no shadows. There's a dark disk under the characters, but only faint shading of static objects and no darkness under the trees. It all looks very flat. But I guess that's why they want some help with the illustrations.

Love your euphemism "might interest some members". What that means, if I understand it correctly, is: "It's almost certainly gonna to be crap". So far, when I see this phrase, I totally concur with your evaluation.

I too just discovered this project. I'm in. I've been CRP-ing since the early 80's. Since then, 90% of my gaming fare is Tolkienesque. So I would be both glad and grateful to put in some time into a different locale. Good luck with the project boys.

I'm with Dajjer on this one. Though it may be a minority-view here, I'm always interested non-conventional settings. This might prove to be a nice RPG while illuminating on a cultural level as well.

I don't think this is my cup of tea - but props to them for trying something different. Always glad to see games made with unconventional settings.

I would rather play a more fantastical game based on Indian / Hindu myths and such. I guess this is more focused on societal issues / politics / intrigue.

I too just discovered this project. I'm in. I've been CRP-ing since the early 80's. Since then, 90% of my gaming fare is Tolkienesque. So I would be both glad and grateful to put in some time into a different locale. Good luck with the project boys.

Yeah, the setting seems interesting and different. I can't really see myself playing a game where I'm walking around talking to me neighbors and trying to be a community organizer, though. That's not to say the concept won't work. Maybe it will. Just not for me :)

I am always on the lookout for different settings and some ideas actually seem quite interesting to me. However, the art style doesn't work for me at all. :(

I am always on the lookout for different settings and some ideas actually seem quite interesting to me. However, the art style doesn't work for me at all. :(

After spending years and years with the Wizardrys, Bards Tales, Phantasy's and the early Might and Magics et al and I mean years . . . . . . .

Well, it's like this, while I love me some Skyrim graphics, climbing up a realistic snowy mountain, while realistic snow is falling all around me, and upon reaching the top , overseeing a majestic valley with some kind of godly choir to accompany my journey, along with being accompanied by my lovely lovely side kick Lydia and good ol' trusty dog . . . . gaming heaven. . . . . Yes sometimes I love gaming eye candy so much, I just might have a bad case of Gaming Diabetes 386 (GD3).

Still, the old days have not been forgotten and I can still get joy with simple game play. Maybe it's a by-product of GD3, but I just thank the heavens that games like Unrest look good to me.

I don't mind simple Graphics at all. I play old games and Indie games and even the occasional roguelike. It's something in the art style that turns me off here - the large cartoony characters and the bright but slightly washed out colors remind me of a childrens book.

I don't mind simple Graphics at all. I play old games and Indie games and even the occasional roguelike. It's something in the art style that turns me off here.
The developer said the art style is going to redone. It was one of the stretch goals. So it might get better who knows.

Play as ordinary men and women struggling for safety, freedom, food for their children, and a chance at peace.

WTF?

We call that "Bauergaming" with the meaning opf "Bauer" = "Farmer",
whereas its exact opposite is "Powergaming".
(The words "Bauer" and "power" are almost exactly pronounced in German language, only that the "b" is a bit softer than the "p".)

You don't play superheroes
you'll do the exact opposite : Ordinary men.

At least it's an attempt against ye olde cliché of "gotta save the world !"

Sounds kinda brilliant... original setting, lots of potential, emphasis on branching and player influence, realistic combat... only one, looming problem: bitten off more than he can chew? I mean it's just a case of too good to be true. If he's not skilled like Richard Garriott then it's sorta doomed. I might throw in some dollars tho. can't hurt, really.

Back
Top Bottom