Original Sin - Post-funding Update #51

The game reminds me of the first Divinity game, but with colorful graphics, turn based combat, more spells/abilities, more social option, more world interaction and two protagonists who can hate each others if you want (makes for hilarious conversation when you start to argue with yourself, should be a blast in co-op though).

I also killed my warrior (Rodrick) twice: Spell safety no1, do not field test spells on party members.

I need to make a thief next (sneak, lockpicking, etc), to see how that works.

I just received an Alpha key through backing the game on the Codex, I passed it on but I assume that it means Watchers will be getting theirs as well soon.

I've started the alpha and have no real comments other than the lack of full rotation is a bit annoying (I know why they did this but it is still annoying). There are some basic game mechanics I ahven't grasp yet (like how to heal; though if it is like DD maybe I just need to find a bed?). I believe this is a true alpha (or maybe pre-alpha) which is to say I think they have a lot more than 2 months of work left. This is not meant to be critical of the game - I think it has a lot of potential but I also think it is not as far along as we would like to believe.

Eating a ham will heal something like 30ish HP. I assume you can eat some of the other stuff too but it seems others need to be crafted. I think Arhu also has a Heal spell skill book for sale for a mere 151 gold.

If anyone hasn't noticed it yet Alt highlights items on the ground. I've found it hugely helpful.

Still haven't figured out how to pickpocket or lockpick (assume I need a lockpick but haven't found one yet).

With the exception of the Black Cove cave I haven't had any stability issues in 6 hours. I'm having a blast.

I'm not certain if it's an initiative based combat system or not (maybe not implemented yet?). I'm pretty sure I found a magic item that said Initiative +1 but not 100% and thus far my group always moves first, then the enemy.

I've been really impressed by the loot drops but unsure if it's just been really good luck or some form of a smart loot system is being used. Every mini-boss type enemy I've killed so far has dropped items geared to my two characters (warrior & survivalist).

As they've said, they have a lot of balancing to do, combat so far is super easy.

For healing, you can use a heal potion (each character start with 2 in their inventory) or buy the Regenerate spellbook from one of the traders in town (I think it requires 2 in the way of the wizard). Their might also be regenerate spell scrolls that you can buy/loot, but I haven't stumbled upon them yet (loot is mostly random).

I'm sure there is a rest function, but I haven't tried a bed yet.

Anybody from the Watch got their alpha key from Myrthos? I haven't checked my email but I guess I'll go take a look. Father in law died last week and I've been caught up in all the details surrounding a funeral.

Well things sound pretty good, other than the Super easy combat, but I guess that is more or less a balancing thing and it is very possible that the balance in this build is skewed towards easy to keep people playing without getting stumped in addition to the frustration of technical issues (or at least one hopes…).

I would not be particularly shocked if this slipped a month or too later either (nor have a problem with it)…

Thanks for keeping us in the loop :)

@JonNik

There is a "issues" list posted by Larian and it says that the game isn't balanced.

It was also on my KS backer email :)

But still can't help not feeling a bit worried if someone says that the game is too easy. So I am hoping this is a strictly temporary thing...

Been playing it for a bit today, it looks like it could be fun but I'm not gonna spoil it by playing much further. So far I've collected shells, fought some crabs, set myself on fire and found a dead guy who thought he could fly =)

My computer is heating up quick while playing this though, maybe the lack of optimization or maybe I need a new computer.

I'm enjoying it and must say I haven't had any serious issues yet. I doubt I will play too far, or any future alpha's so as not to ruin the final experience, but having a small 'getting familiar' run has proven worthwhile.

Same here, I'm just messing around with spells, conversations....poking around in general rather than 'really' playing. But I really like what I've seen so far =)

I just received my alpha key from Myrthos (thanks! :) ). As I won't play alpha/beta or whatever, but instead wait for the final release, I'll give mine away. Just PM me. First come, first served.

I also received an alpha key from Myrthos this morning. I usually avoid alphas, but this is too intriguing for me not to try it. Downloading now…

I received the keys in two batches of 50 pieces. The first mail I sent out was stating to give the key back if you do not need it, but because of the second batch I already have more keys than backers, so please do not give me back any keys. I don't know what to do with them anymore :)

Are these just Alpha keys or does the Alpha automatically become the full version later? In that case giving away the key wouldn't be so clever. ;)

I received the keys in two batches of 50 pieces. The first mail I sent out was stating to give the key back if you do not need it, but because of the second batch I already have more keys than backers, so please do not give me back any keys. I don't know what to do with them anymore :)

Give them away to the participants of our GOTY Awards.

Back
Top Bottom