Krater - Post-Apoc RPG Announced

I could be interested in this game, but the focus on multiplayer worries me.
It makes me think that this is probably going to be an hack 'n slash more than a RPG.

Also, can't really say I remember one single RPG with an interesting multiplayer mode.
I'm not a single player zealot and I love multi as much when part of the proper kind of games, but RPGs to me are THE single player genre, with virtually no exception.

Hi,

We have excluded the PvP for just taht reason to be able to focus on the campaign. RPGs in co-op is fun as well. You can use the same team/roster in single player and co-op if you play online.

Hey Martin, I certainly don't want to seem like I know what's best for your game (I don't ;)), but I would like to recommend adding an active pause. A lot of players really like to be meticulous with these types of games (think Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, or Icewind Dale) and the lack of an active-pause can be difficult to overlook. For me personally, I have passed on several overhead, real-time RTS/RPG type of games because I hate not being able to pause the game, survey the battlefield, and plan my next moves; the frantic pace of later battles is too much of a headache to manage in pure real-time. Implementing an active-pause feature for single-player games only might be a good solution for the multiplayer issue. Just a thought! :)

Anyway, I like what you guys are trying to accomplish with your game, and I wish you the best of luck on your project!

Thanks for the feedback. Seems I have a new topic for tomorrows morning meeting! :)

Hmm...Looking good,looking good (by looking at the screenshots)
Reminds me of "Shadow Grounds" I loved that one.
Also reminds me of "Space Siege",a bit.

Hi,
The main reason for doing it in real time is multiplayer.

The combat in the game will be more similar to Baldurs gate or even playing a World of Warcraft group in an instance, where you faces a few enemies at a time and decides how you will aproach them. Thus a slower pace. You will decide when to engage and each group of enemies will be more of a puzzle. So you might want to disable one before pulling the group.

You control 3 characters in your party. You pick them from a roster that you are continously evolving. You can find new characters, recruit them or even craft them. More on that later.

/Martin

Thanks for the reply, multipayer with turnbased is tricky. You might want to consider including turn based for singleplayer though. Much like how Arcanum gave you the choice of TB or RT. ;)

What kind of game world is it? Open world or more linear?

Will there be C&C?

A lot of focus on story/exploration or on combat?

I totally agree on the active pause in single player would be totally be worth the time. I loved BG real time but really liked being able to pause as well to plan moves. Real time is great for when the battles do not need to be very tactical and lets you get through them quick but pause is great for everything else. Implied in that is that the game has a need for tactics for at least some battles.

Also online is great and many people will play it that way but a lot of people are just as happy playing single player as they cannot play for long periods of time or coordinate schedules. And at least at this site you will find a lot of us just like that.

active pause is a must for single player tactical experiences

Very cool, sorting of hoping for more of the RPG gameplay but defiantly worth checking out.

Hello Martin,

Put my vote in for active pause as well. Since it's optional, those who don't want to use it in multiplayer coop don't have to and you keep us single-player types happy as well. I too have passed on titles that might have been promising because of the lack of active pause. Good luck with the game!

We had a ton of fun playing Baldur's Gate and NWN multiplayer.
Yeah, well, I didn't. I tried it but to it was clear how the game wasn't suited for multiplayer and other players beside the main one were just ballast (and I loved both Baldur's Gate games crazily in single player).

Anyway, not an issue (well, I hope). As far as the single player content is decent enough I'm going to enjoy it.

Active pause is only "necessary" if you can't establish strong parameters for character behaviour. The problem with having active pause in a game that's designed around a different flow (if it's supposed to be multiplayer oriented) - is that it's hard to balance encounters when players have a lot more time to micromanage in singleplayer than in multiplayer.

That would mean, essentially, having to design for two playstyles rather than just one.

Not that I know anything about this game or its design, so it's just theoretical.

One more vote for active pause. I can't handle games when I control a party with no active pause. Too frustrating.

I like this name. It somehow fits very good : It creates an imho very good feeling for what this game is supposed to be about.

In German language "Krater" means "crater", but I guess that's in most european languages the case. ;)

Active pause. Count me in. The party should work like a single solid unit and not like a bunch of mindless characters. The best way is to give out orders to each party member(or set up the character behavior like melee,ranged,support). And look for a most efficient (deadly), tactic to bring down the enemy.

And here is a thought. It would be nice to use the surroundings in the party's advantage. I was thinking for example: setting spills of oil on the ground on fire to make a barrier for the party and to do damage to enemy, the classic explosive barrels, electro shock the enemy and possible stun effect (think Bioshock)-(better chance for those who less resistant to electric attacks), since it is a post-apocalyptic environment, shoot at building walls so they fall on the enemy.
Something like this :) Of course I don't want to interfere in your work. And probably nobody would like this idea. I'm just saying that I would like to see something like this in a post-apocalyptic RPG.

Yep, Krater is Crater in Swedish too.

I like the look of this game, so I've got my hopes up.

Well, if they can make a really good "wingman style" Ai, e.g. in the form of lots of keyboard bindable combat shouts (as e.g. in Counter Strike) for coop that also work on the AI, that would be great too. However I would consider that very hard. For SP at least I would therefore also prefer a pausable system. What has become rare, but I really liked it in KOTOR, was the ability to create a list of actions the group NPC would then go through. I thought that was more interesting than the "programmable" AI in later games, e.g. DA:O. What none of the Bioware games got right was including decent positioning options, e.g. "go here and hold" "stay behind my back" "form a line and hold" "form wedge and break through enemy line" etc.

Hello Martin,

Put my vote in for active pause as well. Since it's optional, those who don't want to use it in multiplayer coop don't have to and you keep us single-player types happy as well. I too have passed on titles that might have been promising because of the lack of active pause. Good luck with the game!

Ok,

Seems like an over whelming support here for active pause. You are very welcome to make this opinion heard at the game's forum as well (www.kratergame.com). We will have different polls about these kind of subjects.

And thanks for the feedback here. Very welcome!
/Martin

Active pause is only "necessary" if you can't establish strong parameters for character behaviour. The problem with having active pause in a game that's designed around a different flow (if it's supposed to be multiplayer oriented) - is that it's hard to balance encounters when players have a lot more time to micromanage in singleplayer than in multiplayer.

That would mean, essentially, having to design for two playstyles rather than just one.

Not that I know anything about this game or its design, so it's just theoretical.

A very valid point. The risk is that the game might be too easy with active pause of course in order to be playable without active pause but then again, it might be ok for those who want to use it if it is only for the single player.

/Martin

www.kratergame.com

One thing that might not have been clear yet is that the meta game is quite important. You collect a squad and can decide which team members you want to use in a mission. You can also choose what equipment they should wear. The idea is to allow the players to be able to tinker with the teams and the setups. Some missions will be easier if you have an unusual setup while others might be much harder.

Looks interesting. Definitely worth keeping track of.

By the way, what's the game structure like (chapters, mission, open world, something in between etc)?

Back
Top Bottom