Fallout 4 - "Turned Me Into A Hoarder"

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Pixel Dynamo's Chan Khee Hoon became a hoarder, thanks to Fallout 4. She tells her sad tale here.

My love affair with junk starts here.

A conniving, smooth-talking scoundrel. A battle-weary marksman. A one-punch man skilled in unarmed attacks. These are the kind of characters I expect to become when I first embark on my Fallout 4 journey—but not an incorrigible hoarder of junk.

After the terrible nuclear explosion that wiped out most of humanity 200 years ago, post-apocalyptic Boston is brimming with junk of all sorts – coffee cups, silver spoons, cigarettes, rolls of duct tapes and even teddy bears. This is nothing new for the series, but unlike the totally unremarkable trinkets that litter the wasteland in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas this junk can be further broken down into useful raw components such as ceramics, silver, cloth, and adhesive, which in turn can be used to craft anything from weapons to buildings. It is astounding how the end of the world has provided us with so many resources to rebuild our lives with.

With that out of the way, I hope you can understand how my collection of 89 dinner spoons was absolutely essential for the construction of a power generator that can produce electricity to power my entire settlement. And yes, I am very sure I needed that plastic spoon too, Codsworth.

I have no idea if this is one of Fallout 4’s biggest flaws – the fact that something as inconsequential as picking up rubbish has consumed me so much that it has interfered with my enjoyment of the game – or if that is evident of how well-designed the game is. Think about it: how many games offer the same degree of freedom as Fallout 4? Not once have I been so absorbed in a game world before, and I’ve played Skyrim. And that is a game that allows me to catch butterflies.

For the first time in a very long while, the skies in a Fallout game are of a bright blue hue, filled with white wispy clouds that slowly waft over the desolate skyline of long-abandoned buildings. Get out of bed early, and you might even catch a glimpse of the morning sun peeking behind a distant hill. I wouldn’t know, though. I am still too busy staring down at the dark grimy ground, looking out for any spare parts I might have missed. Worry worry worry, woe is me.
More information.

More information.

Fallout 4 - Turned me into a low-standard hipster

I became an hoarder when I played Morrowind, I haven't stopped since.

Fallout 4 - Turned me into a low-standard hipster

And I thought that turn on your side happened two decades ago...
:p

Fallout 4 is the worst addition to the series and one of the reasons is exactly that hoarding - minecraft crowd hook.
Add the MMOish ,uninspired type quests,the attrocious dialogue system in a (supposedly) rpg game and voila!
You have a game made for the masses with artificially extented game length due to the nature of the quests.
I don't consider myself amongst the "elite" as opposed to the "masses" i mentioned,but it is evident how much the bussiness side of things has contributed to Fallout 4's design.
Very sad that this IP has fallen to the hands of Bethesda.
CD Project,for instance is a much smaller company and Witcher 3 puts Fallout 4 to shame,in comparison.

Luj and Japol are twin brothers. Rune's going to love this. :p

Fallout 4 made make quit gaming... almost....

I think it depends on the personality myself. I have never really been a hoarder and I don't do a lot of it in any game including FO4. I actually tend to dislike clutter and junk in my inventory and sell or drop it (in any game). But then I am not a big crafter either.

I enjoy some - I have a couple of settlements but they just have the basics - food, water, beds, shelter, defense. Sanctuary I built up a little more and made a cool pad for my main character and Dogmeat (he has his own bed thanks to a mod) to hang out in. Nice lighting and use it to try out new clothes, stare at the perk tree trying to decide what path to take, and hang out.

But I don't worry about building them all up or running around doing all the AI quests. I do one or two but then ignore them. From an RP perspective I assume it is a call out to all MM and someone else takes it up.

Quests came out really great in FO4. Really enjoyed many of them. Covenant, Strong, Silver Shadow, and more. Also enjoy the characters and story behind them. Thought Beth did a great job on improving both quests, story, writing, and companions. Much better than FO3 if not as good as FNV. Also love exploring in this game. Not to mention the adrenaline and heart rate effect of playing at night and having ghouls and raiders jump out at you. Find it to be a very fun game with a mix of relaxing entertainment (exploring, settlements, planing builds, quests) with excitement from the combat.

Funny I never finished W3 but am on my second play through of FO4. Guess it just depends on opinion and taste on what a persons play style is.

That being said I would like to see Obsidian do another FO as I think they did a better job.

That we can agree on - FO 4.5 done by Obsidian would be lovely indeed. They would have to get the guy behind FO4's vertical level design though; that facet alone salvages the game for me.

I only scrounge for ammo, caps, and parts I need for weapon or armor mods. I have about 5 weapons for various scenarios; long distance sniping, up close sneaking, and two combat shotguns for clearing a room. They're all maxed out.
I sell the spare ammo, chems, and unique weapons and armor pieces that I have no use for.
Never been a power armor user. I only use it in the Glowing Sea area.
Me and my sweetie, Piper, are exploring all over.

You really don't have to pick up everything you see. In fact, I avoid it. Unless an item is something unique or something that I really need, I don't pick it up. At least so far. 56 hours of FO4 have not made me a hoarder. Maybe that will set in later, but I tend to get bored by any game after 120-130 hours, that's about my limit. Always a new game to play.

I think this is why I've never finished a single DLC. Most of the time I don't even start them and only have them if they were free. I got all of the DLCs when I bought Fallout NV. Around 120 hours in the main quest, never touched the DLCs.

I hoard in every RPG ever. News at 11...

Its not at all surprising people hoard in the virtual world either. Did you know, when most people die approximately 90% of their "stuff" they've hoarded and treasured through their life is either thrown away or immediately sold/given to charity.

To call it hoarding would be to indicate that there is a problem. I do not admit to having a problem, no no not at all.

Dear Chan,
Wow the power of Fallout 4. It just forcibly changed your personality. I guess yours wasnt so strong to begin with. Must be fallouts fault.
/end sarcasm.

Ps. I know its satirical but I really get tired of the world blaming everything on something else :)

Also I collect everything that isnt nailed down. I just dont blame it on Fallout. I finish rpgs with 300 potions I need "just in case".

Back
Top Bottom