Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Patch

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Overhaul has released a meaty patch for Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition. Full notes are here, which are a bit long to post, so here's a partial snip:
Crash Fixes:
* Fixed crash when changing areas
* Fixed crash when clicking outside of the map

Features:
* New movie for resting in dungeon and inn
* Adjusted introduction video due to customer feedback and Coriander's threats of violence (You may have thought that complaining about the Nietzsche quote was pointless...)
* Various UI screens touched up

Bug Fixes:
* Thieves and bards XP cap has been modified
* Monks and clerics XP cap has been modified (Black Pits)
* Quest/Journal log fixes
* Damage Modifier display has been retooled
* Taerom no longer drops Ankheg Shells
* Fixed issues with Dorn's dialogue and alignment
* Fixed issues with Neera's dialogue
* Neera's encounter with Edwin has been touched up
* Minsc joining issues have been resolved
* Switching to default soundset works [...]
The iPad update is still waiting on approval.
More information.

* New movie for resting in dungeon and inn
* Adjusted introduction video due to customer feedback and Coriander's threats of violence (You may have thought that complaining about the Nietzsche quote was pointless…)

I'm pleased that they are listening and responding to feedback like this, not just doing bugfixes. It was a little annoying that they had removed the original movies and failed to replace all the content lost with new material.

Yeah the team are really trying on this. I had a game breaking bug about five hours in, sent the dmp. file to them and had a personal response within the day. This the third or fourth patch they've released as well. They should have picked up on some of this stuff before launch, but you genuinely get the impression they're putting the hours in to sort it out. And yeah its great they're looking at feedback as well as bugs.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. Interestingly I have found the new NPCs annoying and have not taken them into my party. Neera's dialogue is awful, so she will never find a place with me. I really bought this as a means of playing through BG again on a modern system without having to mess around with all the mods, some of which I could never get to work or would get graphic glitches.

I had forgotten how different single player RPGs were from MMOs given my only other significant amount of gaming for the last few years has been WoW. When I needed to return to town to resurrect Montaron (who is near useless at first level) I caught myself looking for a means to teleport directly back to Nashkel :)

My only other gameplay complaint is that Overhaul has inserted some magic items that were not in the original game and seem to be overpowered.

I found the new characters annoying as well. I travelled with Neera for a bit, but I found her dialogue a bit intrusive (for example, when she's injured she asks for someone to cast "Bigby's band aid"... as a joke its a bit twee and out of place). I didn't bother with the others after that, I'm just going with original characters. Enjoying it so far. I'd prefer it if there was an option to turn the new content off (characters, weapons etc) and just use the bug fixes, engine improvements and widescreen support, but for the most part you can just ignore them.

My only other gameplay complaint is that Overhaul has inserted some magic items that were not in the original game and seem to be overpowered.

Oh? Which ones? I can't recall coming across any.

Also, Dorn and Rasaad are much better than Neera. Sadly, Rasaad is useless because Monks are rubbish at low levels.

Oh? Which ones? I can't recall coming across any.

Also, Dorn and Rasaad are much better than Neera. Sadly, Rasaad is useless because Monks are rubbish at low levels.

When I wrote that I thought I had found 2, but I may have been mistaken. The two in mind were: Ring of Holiness (which is legit and not an addition— my mistake), and the Stupifier— a +1 mace that has a chance to stun. I was using Planet Baldur's Gate's item database for reference and can't find the latter.

So I may have spoken too soon. However, did they maybe insert name and flavor text on more common items: e.g. the Ring of Protection I think is called like the Ring of Princes or something. I don't recall that from the original, though changing the text is not the same as adding new items.

Regardless, even if they did add items that weren't from unreleased content I am still enjoying this. Now if only they would restore the Credits movie to its original techno Tiax rules glory, I will be happy.

I should also say added items aren't all bad. I just got the scroll case from the wizard in Beregost. Nice space saver.

Also, what's with all the haters on the BGEE forums? So many go on about how disappointed they are in the level of 'enhancement'. I thought the developers were very clear and so far the game meets my expectations-- though it is not a perfect product by any means.

Maybe I am missing something here. How do we get the patch?

I just start the game and I get a "apply update" button beside the play one.

I find Neera's dialogue funny, but I can see it getting old. The "only take me to a licenses healer!" when she dies cracks me up.

I've got Dorn and Neera in my party (Ajantis, Imoen, Viceronia, and my pc is a Sorcerer). It's been fun so far. Like that they put the new quote back in, but for some reason I still can't get the movies to play without stuttering and static. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

Back
Top Bottom