ADOM - Wants to be Greenlit

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The creator of ADOM contacted us that his game was not in our database, despite it being available for 20 years already. So here is a newsbit on the game just to compensate for that.

ADOM wants to be Greenlit on Steam, so if you think that is a good idea, go ahead and vote it up. If you need some recommendations, here are a few from the creator:

The successful ADOM Indiegogo campaign in 2012 ($90,169 donated) allowed us to greatly expand the game as well as to offer new play modes allowing the player to choose between playing pure ASCII, tile based graphics (our current focus) or even 3D. Thus ADOM successfully thrives in the 21st century, despite being initially launched in 1994.

After going through Greenlight and being launched on Steam ADOM will be the single most challenging and detailed roguelike game on the Steam platform - all thanks to almost 20 years of open development. Team ADOM intends to build upon this for many years to come: The Steam integration e.g. will enhance the ADOM community experience with both standard gameplay features like shared highscores and achievements as well as with new special features exchanging ghosts between players, cooperative modes for fighting Chaos and more.
Or you could try it out yourself.

More information.

The graphics look really nice. Very similar to Antharion.

What is still missing though is a decent looking interface.

Fantastic how this awesome game has grown! Tiles were very much needed. I would go for animated characters!

I've been playing this sporadically since the late nineties. Amazing variety of races, classes and strategies. Strong theme for a roguelike. Great feeling when you first win legitimately(with permadeath), and then you realize there are other, harder endings to go for.

Well as a result of this thread, I've been playing through a game of ADOM recently since I wanted something different and Watchdogs wasn't doing it for me. Its kinda fun and the new graphics are great improvement. If it was still crappy ASCII art or the slightly better but not really extended ascii then I wouldn't have even tried.

I'm not clear why I would want to spend $20 on it though as the current free version seems quite complete. The only reason I can think of is just as thanks but since I've never really played it I've not gotten that kind of value from it. Quests are kinda shallow (though I understand they do get better) but I'm guessing still not on the level of a Spiderweb game by a fair margin.

Well many roguelike games don't have much in the way of quests, because quests can get really repetitive when your playing through a game 100 times. Adom has better quests then many roguelikes, but it also has some of the most serious problems with repetition.

Back
Top Bottom