Getting ready to play System Shock 2

thartanian

Watchdog
I've heard stories about this game, so I've decided to check it out. I've played the 1st level a few times, but I'm experimenting with different templates. Can any of you guys recommend a good template that would make my experience hard and interesting? How's the Psi tree? My first try I went normal weapons. It's fun, and I like how you have to conserve ammo, but I was wondering if the Psi tree is more fun and cool? Also invested in hacking, which has been useful. But I see that hacking is also a spell in the psi tree. What do you guys recommend? I don't want my experience to be a shoot em up.

The hacking line is the least 'shoot em up'. I found the Psi to be a challenge. Good as the game is, I prefer the original!!

Should I play part 1 first? Is the storyline connected? I wanna do the System Shock experience right.

You could play SS1 first if you like but it won't lessen your enjoyment of SS2 if you don't. Either way, they're both great games. I never played the first SS until just last year.

I have one piece of advice for you if you play a hacker, you can hack turrets and then they work for you.

While you don't NEED to play SS1 to enjoy the sequel, there are references and easter egg type things which you would not fully appreciate if you're not familiar with the original, which works very well in Dosbox.

There was also a stand-alone XP-compatible release done by someone that works well ... if you already have the SS game you should get this and feel no guilt :)

SS2 is one of the greats and works well as a stand alone game. While I'm sure there are things that, as Mr. Corwin points out, are references and easter eggs acknowledging the original SS, they aren't glaring. I never played the original game and never felt like was missing anything vital. These elements were marvelously transparent if you didn't know the reference already.

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
Back
Top Bottom