My other hobbies

Another expensive and sometimes embarrassing hobby I have is target shooting. Living in IL makes it tough to find people and places that are accepting of such a hobby but nevertheless it’s still a blast, heh, oh boy. I'm a huge 1911 fan but partial to the .22lr cartridge since it's so damn cheap. I'm looking for a conversion kit for my blued Kimber Custom II to complete my very small collection. At the moment I own a Kimber Custom II .45 ACP, a beautifully customized Springfield 1911-A1 9mm stainless, and a scoped .22lr Ruger 77/22 - RP. I'm a sucker for bolt action rifles. I'm a great shot at 25 feet with a light trigger, but at 50 and beyond well... let’s just say I won't be winning any competitions anytime soon. The rifle is a tack-driver so a true measure of skill will take place at a range beyond 75 feet with really small targets; something which I have yet to do. I'm not into home defense or concealed carry debates since the guns I own are for recreation only. It's a lot of fun and I would recommend that everyone try it at least once in their life. It’s not for just hill-billies, gang bangers, cops, freaks, and murders. If used responsibly and respectfully the worst that will happen is a small burn from an ejected cartridge, something that happened to me only once and didn’t even hurt. Is anyone else here into target shooting? If so what do you have?

Another expensive and sometimes embarrassing hobby I have is target shooting.
How is that embarrassing? :) When you parade around with a rifle, people usually run away screaming in fear; when you parade around with a sword with huge tassles, people usually keel over laughing - now that's what I'd call embarrassing ;).

... Living in IL makes it tough to find people and places that are accepting of such a hobby but nevertheless it’s still a blast..
Coming from Evanston myself, I understand that living in the greater Chicago urbansprawl could definitely put the lid on backyard practise, but it isn't much different here in what is perceived as redneckland(Oklahoma).
You can't just go outside and shoot--unless, of course you live in the country, outside city zoning limits like we do;)

My husband was into competetive shooting in the army(Viet Nam) but doesn't have time for it now, plus he says his eyes are no longer what they were, but I'm hoping when he finally retires he will be able to take it up on some level.

My own hobbies are a little more peaceful--reading and gardening, indoor and outdoor, roses orchids, perenniels--if it's green I grow it--unless of course it has green skin, in which case I fireball it;)

Writing and electric guitar (Black metal style! )

Writer by day and writer by night. I guess it is a blessing to be paid for doing the thing I enjoy the most. Beyond that, I am just an "old"school RPG nut, who has been captivated by the genre since I sat down with my Blue Book D&D rulebook on Xmas morning, trying desperately to get my brain around this strange activity called "role-playing." ;)

Hello Lord Alex. We have some things in common. I know for a fact what blue book you're talking about : It's D&D's first edition Player's handbook, something around 1979 or so... I still have it somewhere and cherish it. It's in mint condition and that's the way I plan on keeping it. I have like 12 of them hard covered D&D 1st edition in a box.

Anyway, to keep on with the rest of the thread and by what we have in common is this : I'm an author, a novelist but not beeing paid for it. I am working on many novels, at least 5, for the time beeing. I have 8 in mind.

I'm slowly working on my 1st one and will put a lot of effort on having it published before I die... I say this because I am a PROCRASTINATOR. I think it's a disease... Some days I can do a lot and the next, I don't feel like doing anything (bipolar???)... I have a great fear of failure and have no confidence in myself... How sad. :'(

In that same line of thought, I am also a very woe filled individual and I think I have a borderline personnality... I sympathise with Amon777. I mean it. I have no ill intent in saying this. I swear. I take it one day at a time. I am greatly woe filled. I will not go in any details about this but I swear it's true. Every day I go through is though... Well, for me it is. I do not want my days to end nor do I want them to start...

On the other hand, I love Black metal music. I am not a Satanist. I do not believe in any supernatural powers but the only one that has brought life everywhere. On our planet and all around. I believe in no God but my mother. I love the sound of the voice, of black metal that is. The screaming is what attracks me to the music. Especially from Marduk's vocalist(Voice of Satan he calls himself). I love the double based drums. The hellish pace that it has and the guitar that couples it gives me goosebumps. . Marduk is a Sweedish band.
The singer's voice is beyond the grave. My favorite song ever is from that band. It's called : Beyond the grace of God. Taken from the 1996's album : Heaven shall burn when we are gathered.

Anyway, I think I've said enough.

See you on the net you guys! ;)

Last edited:
If I were to walk around with a rifle, or any other gun for that matter, in Chicago I would either be shot or arrested, do you know what they would do to a pretty guy like me in jail? That would be embarrassing. But on a serious note, a lot of people will think that a target enthusiast is some kind of crazy man that has an easier time talking to his guns than his peers. Illinois is a liberal state that frowns on gun ownership, luckily though, there are a few places one can go to send some lead down-range without much ado. How is gun control approached in the part of Germany you're from? For that matter, how about the places the other readers of this forum call home?

Hello Lord Alex. We have some things in common. I know for a fact what blue book you're talking about : It's D&D's first edition Player's handbook...

Aaaahhhh... those were the days. It was all so very simple then: just a pencil, some graph paper, a few dice, and your imagination. I can still in my mind's eye visualise when our party first marched bravely out of the Keep on the Borderlands. ;)

Anyway, to keep on with the rest of the thread and by what we have in common is this : I'm an author, a novelist but not beeing paid for it. I am working on many novels, at least 5, for the time beeing. I have 8 in mind.

Holy Smokes! That doesn't sound like procrastination to me. I think you suffer from the same thing I do which is: lots of ideas but the inability to "focus" on one idea long enough to see it through. This is very, very common with writers by the way. Almost every writer I know suffers from the same thing. However, on the bright side, good ideas are what set you apart from others on the streets. Coming up with a truly novel and interesting idea is a tough thing to do these days.... Turning that into a well-written novel is Step 2 and an entirely different animal unfortunately.

Good luck with your many projects! One will rise to the forefront sooner or later and when it takes hold, you'll have no problem seeing it through to completion.

Is anyone else here into target shooting? If so what do you have?

I've shot some skeet in the past, while practicing up for grouse and pheasant. I used to have a single-barrel .20 gauge Winchester (circa. 1930?) that I got from my Dad, who in turn got it from his older brother. The thing is so friggin' old that the stock is held on with tape and the targeting BB fell off, leaving a tiny hole at the end of the barrel. However, I've never EVER found a gun that shoots straighter. And when it fires, it makes a beautiful "crack" that is very distinct. It is currently in possession of my older brother, who keeps it around for sentimental value.

If I were to walk around with a rifle, or any other gun for that matter, in Chicago I would either be shot or arrested, do you know what they would do to a pretty guy like me in jail? That would be embarrassing.
I see :biggrin:. - Seriously, though, I know what you mean. Some hobbies are stigmatized, no matter how responsible the individual performing it.
How is gun control approached in the part of Germany you're from?
You need a license to carry firearms, and these are rather difficult to get depending on the type of weapon. You can unpack your rifle at the shooting range, but that's it, basically. Personally, I'm all for gun control IRL, yet I know there are responsible individuals out there who wouldn't prance around shooting passers-by even if they had the tools to do it ^_^. Admitted - I couldn't chop off heads with my tai chi jian even if I wanted to (and knowing my volatile personality I'm glad it's just for practice ;)).

@enodenroH: Lord Alex is right, losing focus is what happens to every writer under the sun time and time again. I feel it's part of the process of writing.

Lord Alex: Take that guy to a gun smith!! God only knows what else might be wrong with it; I wouldn’t shoot it until it gets a good once over. When it comes to long guns I too like the low tech route, there is something about a hinge or bolt action that's more fun than a high tech SPAZ that can clear its load in half a second. As far as competition goes, a gun that you are comfortable with and shoots well should be jealously held. In the realm of bird hunting though I think you would be better served with a semi-auto, either that or a really good eye. I like the family hand down aspect, make sure you make up a crazy story for the gun when you give it to your kids. Here’s one: Remember the time that you killed a bear just as it was about to maul a frightened lost hiker. You shot it once, but so great was its strength and bloodlust that it shook off the wound and turned on you. You were convinced that you time was near its end, but thanks to your determination and skill you were able to reload and get off another round just as the bear was leaping at you with its jaws agape. You wiped the sweat from your brow as the bear drew its last breath. It was a regrettable loss of life but it had to be done.

Jaz: I had a roommate back in my undergrad days that would practice Tai Chi in our living room with his father over the weekend. He was a skinny, lanky guy with a very deliberate gait; it was almost as if he was wrapped in a bubble that slowed and distorted the very fabric of time. Needless to say, it was quite an experience to saunter down to the kitchen every weekend and see this guy swinging a sword around with his father. Just imagine a skinny guy and his pot-bellied father discussing and training in an ancient and mysterious martial art. In addition to swordplay he really seemed to enjoy busting out his Tai Chi skills after a long night of drinking, from that I learned about the turning bear stance, quite effective. I have to admit though; he really took it seriously and seemed to know what he was doing. Funny thing I discovered from all of that was if one takes the name of a natural disaster or a ferocious animal, a movement related verb, and a potentially damaging body part they can come up with a name for a Tai Chi move. For instance: Spinning dragon kick, rising cyclone punch, or leaping tiger palm. Give it a shot.

Funny thing I discovered from all of that was if one takes the name of a natural disaster or a ferocious animal, a movement related verb, and a potentially damaging body part they can come up with a name for a Tai Chi move. For instance: Spinning dragon kick, rising cyclone punch, or leaping tiger palm. Give it a shot.
Rushing earthquake forehead! :biggrin:
True! Natural disasters, animals and gods are quite prevalent in the naming of moves and stances (my favorite sword stance is 'Immortal points the Way', for example). We also practice a Yang style 108 figures swordless form where moves are named 'White Crane Spreads its Wings', 'Carry Tiger to the Mountain' etc. ... while we call them 'iron a shirt' and 'ring the bell'.

Coming from you, that might be a compliment!! :)

I'm not jealous yet ^_^..

Rushing earthquake forehead! :biggrin:

Aka. Headbutt.

And I can just imagine 2 stoned guys, one trying to yell headbutt, the other Rushing earthquake forehead. Posh name gets a broken nose, lip and lower arch. Actually, I tried this on a guy once. :D

Hobbies? Murgle gurgle hmmm Can't say I actually do something on a daily basis, or that I'd want to. Diversity is the key :)

I've been thinking of taking up Tai Chi myself...studied Goju for year but my knees just couldn’t take it any more. Besides, another style is always nice to know.:biggrin:

Aka. Headbutt.
Yep, though I don't know of a Tai Chi headbutt yet (at least not in the two forms I'm practising) :).
Khass said:
And I can just imagine 2 stoned guys, one trying to yell headbutt, the other Rushing earthquake forehead.
Just that you don't yell the names of the moves, especially not in a fight...
Khass said:
Posh name gets a broken nose, lip and lower arch. Actually, I tried this on a guy once. :D
Ouch! I hope you won?
I've been thinking of taking up Tai Chi myself...studied Goju for year but my knees just couldn’t take it any more. Besides, another style is always nice to know.:biggrin:
And there are so many different basic styles of Tai Chi to begin with :). When I first heard it wasn't just shadowboxing but a real martial art I didn't want to believe it... until I saw my sword teacher fight his teacher (though hand-to-hand and not with swords). These guys were incredible.
As for Goju-ryu, I've never seen it performed live and in action (if you don't count Kabal in MK: Deception... in MK you may have tons of martial arts and styles, but most are rather shoddily executed), but hubby is a practitioner of Shotokan (like Sub-Zero in the same game). How do these styles compare IRL?

.Just that you don't yell the names of the moves, especially not in a fight

You have forever distorted my view on anime. How can you NOT yell names in fights?! That's the entire friggin point to learning martial arts!

Isn't it?

You have forever distorted my view on anime. How can you NOT yell names in fights?! That's the entire friggin point to learning martial arts!

Isn't it?

You remind me of a quote "Two brothers... One speaks no English, the other learned English from watching "The Wide World of Sports." So you tell me... Which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking Howard Cosell?"

;)

Back
Top Bottom