Obsidian Buys Fallout From Bethesda

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Duck and Cover has finally been rewarded for its loyalty to the Fallout franchise and to true roleplaying. They've scored this spectacular exclusive:
Obsidian Entertainment Acquires Fallout Series, Hire Original Developers

March 31, 2010 (Irvine, CA) -- Obsidian Entertainment® announced today that it has acquired exclusive ownership of the Fallout®series -- beginning with the release of the highly anticipated Fallout: New Vegas® role-playing game. Obsidian purchased the rights to the Fallout® franchise from Bethesda Softworks in a deal that awards Obsidian exclusive worldwide rights to the Fallout® franchise on the PC, home consoles, handhelds, and other media.[...]
Visit Duck and Cover for the full PR.
I've heard rumors there was a minor typo in the date which has been corrected in the meantime.
More information.

Well played! :)

The part I like best is "Feargus'" fluffy statement:
“We’re extremely excited about this development and what it means both for Obsidian and for Fallout fans around the world,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “Fallout is one the great RPG franchises. Millions of Fallout games have been sold worldwide, and fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian’s proven expertise in this genre, building on our industry experience and the tremendous success we have enjoyed with our previous games and experience with the series, will enable us to create the next chapter of Fallout that is truly worthy of the franchise.”

But isn't there a typo in the PR headline? ;)

I just hope (it's just a tiny little hope) that they'll hire Mark Morgan to do the music again. That alone would grant me buying a few copies.

I heard that NMA had signed a deal with Bethsoft to co-develop the next Fallout game from Bethsoft, titled Fallout: Wish you were here.

That's kind of messed up, but I guess it's fair play given the .cx domain's time zone.

Awesome news!!! It is back where it belongs.

No way! This has to be a joke!

Pretty tricky you are Gorath! :devilish:

That....that....that's just not right. You don't do that, I would have been bad enough tomorrow but jumping the gun and posting on the 31st is just wrong.

They initially posted it with an April 1st date, but then they considered it too obvious.

Cruel thing to do.

I was actually quite happy for a moment..

Ouch..You fooled me..ah it was too good to be true.

For about half a second I was happy. Now I want to kill myself in disappointment.

Almost as funny as the Grimoire releasedate.

Hahaha I just enjoy reading the bitter threads...

Back
Top Bottom