Christmas presents

Our economy is severly diminished due to the fact that I am now a student, so me and my cohabit have promised eachother to not waste too much money on christmas presents this year, at least not to eachother. On top I have asked for a christmas decorated clean apartment and maybe a pig in marzipan. I have already bought a few christmas presents for myself though, such as Fallout 3, Little Big Planet (PS3) and the Arkham Horror expansion "The Black Goat of the Woods" (boardgame).

The things I'd really like are out of our budget, so I'd expect a few Tintin comic books and possibly Fallout 3 or the G3 add-in from my gf. I'm also in the process of composing a list of 20-50 books and movies for my brother and parents to make random picks from (this maintains some surprise element while assuring that I dont get stuff I already have).

In my country, there's first something called Sinterklaas/Sint Niklaas -> Saint Nicolas or like it has become in English non-catholic parts: Santa Claus. We celebrate this on December 6. Christmas is also a time of getting and giving presents, but it's more a family time of celebrations. The presents are more central on December 6.

What do I get: Fallout 3 and a dvd from Monty Python

geez, an expansion of Arkham Horror?

20 years ago I played the original so a friend of mine brought his still wrapped copy to our huge university LAN party this Halloween.

They've completely changed it. It took the 8 of us 7 hours to finish it as we trudged through the rules. It created enough of a problem that we are having our first controversy: non LAN games may not be extremely long because they take players away. heh.

With all the additions made to Arkham Horror already to make it more complex and I can't imagine adding rules to it - except if they restore Dark's Carnival. I was upset that wasn't there. :(

I wonder where I can get a copy of the original?

--

As for Sinterklass (Catholics in NA believe in Santa, heh) have you ever seen Micacle on 34th Street where the little Dutch speaking girl doesn't want to sit on Santa's lap at Macy's because he's not really Sinterklaas? Its a great scene.

There have been some decent additions in the expansions.

Curse of the Dark Pharao adds egyptian relics to the game, the chance to encounter an old one when walking in the otherworlds and the chance of getting banned from entering some areas. It also boosts the allies deck quite a bit.
The best part of the Dunwich Horror expansion was the mental derangements and injuries, a rule once added feels so natural that it should have been in the first box.
King of Yellow mostly adds more cards and blights (allies turned bad) and a special "acts" gameplay element which might end the game prematurely if not prevented and cause the town to go nuts. It's also the first game to include heralds (see Kingsport Horror below).
Kingsport Horror had more impact on the game in opening up traveling gates that must be closed, but also adds a bunch of heralds and guardians that can increase or decrease the difficulty of the game.

The most recent expansion is supposed to add corruption to the game, so that characters gets corrupted by a cult and can even join them.

Last edited:
@ffbj--a Christmas classic. :)

I'm hoping for a digital camera if finances allow, but may have to make do with the new stove we just had to buy because the circa-1980 one we got with the house finally died. My husband fares worse, however--he'll probably just get socks and books. The grandchildren get the rest, and even that will be curtailed what with the economy--but we still have a lot of free things we'll all exchange--like love and company and jokes and all that kind of good stuff. ;)

We'll probably build a new media center since our old XBox will fall apart sooner or later. Sonny is better off, he'll get a Playmobil pirate island, motocross track, grocery store, pharao, knight's treasure, Portacabin... well, his interests are about as eclectic as mine (but it's okay as long as he wants Playmobil because it's all the same scale). ;)

I want a new car with the latest make and model, whichever brand it would be. Expensive, but I only wanna have it once in a while. I want a Fallout 3 as well.

What I'd like to get, personally, is a new DVd of Shaun The sheep :) and the collector's edition of A Vampyre Story. :)

The first one is actually feasible (by my sister), the second one is something I'd have to buy myself.

I want a PS3. Blame the new FF Versus XIII trailer. :biggrin:
Actually, I don't think I really need anything. Hm...

I'm trying to think what to buy for my parents and for my brother. Not much time left, I see. I better hurry...

I just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and see all of you here all of 2009. :)

I asked for Storm of Zehir, but that was it on the game front. I'm funneling most of my gifts and own discretionary cash towards building a HTPC.

i want a nice comfy pair of pajamas, supposedly my tigress is gonna try and make that happen. Gamewise, I'll take TR:Underworld.

And I want to keep getting a paycheck every week - let's hope that little tradition keeps up.

And I want to keep getting a paycheck every week - let's hope that little tradition keeps up.
Amen to that one, Sammy. The numerous people I owe money to would presumably prefer my continued employment. ;)

Back
Top Bottom