Risen The ending.. [spoiler!]

Arronax

Traveler
Yes, I know that this is the 'spoiler' part of the forum, but since reading this pretty much ruins the ending for people who haven't played through it, I thought I'd write a warning anyways :p

Let me start off by saying that Risen is a great game, I enjoyed it quite a lot. The monsters were somewhat of a challenge, the graphics were pretty, and the storyline was.. decent.

However.. it seems strange to me that the climax of the game, the final bossfight against a titan, is more like Mario fighting Bowser on supermario than anything else.
What the "#¤%&/ put them on the idea of making the FINALE of a game that has been mainly about learning how to fight mobs in a pretty unique way (well, as melee anyways, dunno about casters/ranged characters) into a PLATFORM challenge?!? And on top of that, a stupendously easy one (on normal at least.. the bossfight was so lame that I don't feel like replaying it on hard).

I'm a little bit disappointed to be honest =( I would much rather fight that titan in melee combat or something like that....Running around, collecting armor and a awesome mace (and 2h axe :x) feels a little bit wasted, knowing that the only reason for doing so is to look cool when jumping around on a stupid platform ._.
Once you've gotten the hang of it, it's so easy that it's actually hard to be hit by... pretty much any of the bosses attacks. =(
And the boss doesn't even have a friggen HP bar! I'm sure I could poke it with a carrot, and still win, as long as I poked it the right ammount of times (which coincidentally would be the exact same ammount as you'd have to hit it with the mace..) ^^

Bah! /rant

Still a great game, but the ending.... grrr.

I agree, but I also understand PBs point of view. Instead of having to tune the encounter for three completely different classes, they have now set certain rules that the player has to follow. I've completed it with all three classes, and the fight is always exactly the same - there's no magic even if you're a mage, there's only the same (very cool looking) plate armor and big warhammer.

But yes, I do hope for an add-on or something that has a more epic ending.

Just finished up and was equally disappointed with the boss fight. Basically all your class choices seem to be meaingless in the end - I didn't even realise I'd killed it (only took a few blows? Er…cutscene!? Ah, must be dead/dying!) I don't recall G2 or G3 opting for this cop-out - whatever class you chose had enough oomph that you could take on whatever boss you met at the end (although it could be harder if you made consistently bad skil choices is suppose). I also though the little "jump now to avoid blast" or "the glowing runes…" messages were kind of lame. This information could have been communicated in a game-immersive fashion by the former titan lord (lounging about outside - I mean he defeated it before, so he would know all its tricks) Of course, having specialsied in fire magic I would have had a rough time of it tryingto defeat it with my 'mighty' magic (yeah, I'm a pyromaniac ;-)

Anyway, other than this minor annoyance I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I hope that they sell enough games to make yet another title (perhaps in a larger environment than an island ;-) I was very happy with the performance - much better than G3 in my opinion. Glad to see some positive Xbox reviews coming in too.

I thought it was fun, but I was wondering why I was fighting Ganon from link to the past at the end.:p

Yeah, I too hate these "puzzle" fights - where you're certain to die a few times due to not knowing what's going on. It completely defeats the purpose of having built a powerful character, and given the rather pleasant combat system it's a shame they had to go this way. They could have made the Titan vulnerable to normal damage only when sitting down and then any kind of damage would have worked. Also, it really makes no sense to let players gather pieces of such an armor and then have it be absolutely meaningless in the end - because you're only getting to use it in a scripted fight like that and it doesn't seem to take your protection numbers into account. At least let us have a few hours of being mr. Titan armor/weapon bad ass ;)

Also, what's with the stupid hammer? I was carrying around Titanwing and was a sword dude! Since it was a Titan weapon, at least give me the choice of what to fight with.

Anyway, I realise the cutscene was done with the player having a hammer, but we've seen cutscenes ignoring weapon of choice before without it being a big deal.

Oh well, a sort of sour note to an otherwise great game. Though, actually, I consider ~40% of the game a relatively sour note - but the first 60% of it is so damn brilliant that it ends out as still a great game.

I was really looking forward to replaying it, at least once, but since I've seen more or less everything there is to see - apart from the faction quest differences, I don't really see the point. If only the world wasn't tied in so closely with the main storyline, and if only there were more interesting ways to develop your character and find more gear.

Last edited:
After the cut scene where you walk out, for everyone else did it go black then a voiceover with black screen, then credits? Seemed a bit odd. I thought the idea was you were to find "another way" to save the mainland?

I agree that CH 1 and 2 were very good, the rest *meh*.
I would have preferred to return to harbour town when the Don is back and have a whole load of new quests or something. In fact get rid of a lot of the monsters on the island and populate it with more small settlements. After a while fighting becomes tiresome and like a grind.

That was the ending, yes. Fighting the titans is probably an add-on or sequel..

But somehow you wash up on a beach on the mainland, with no Titan armour and with just a rag on your back, a stick, and have forgotten how to fight? :biggrin:

The ending to this game was clearly a copout. They slapped QTEs in there; probably because it's supposed to come out for 360 as well. And the black screen with voiceover stinks of running out of a budget or time and just recording a cheap voiceover and slapping it on an "artistic" and "atmospheric" black screen.

The ending to this game was clearly a copout. They slapped QTEs in there; probably because it's supposed to come out for 360 as well. And the black screen with voiceover stinks of running out of a budget or time and just recording a cheap voiceover and slapping it on an "artistic" and "atmospheric" black screen.

Fully agree on that one, the whole "Mankind has RISEN!" made me cringe a little bit inside :( expected some cool ending movie or something to give a proper closure, not some cheasy line taken from a hollywood movie :-/

Agree with general feeling here that the ending ruined an otherwise excellent game. The platform jumping, lack of boss status bar, inability to use most of the skills gathered throughout the game, all detracted greatly from the overall game. Up until the boss fight I was keen to start again as a different character. Now that single battle has left a sour taste and put me off the whole idea of starting over.

Yep, an ending should be a culmination of your character's growth and development throughout the game, not a 'let's forget you're a mage and play something totally different!!' PB get minus points from me for that.

Back
Top Bottom