What games are you playing now?

I've been playing The Shadow Sun on my Android tablet. I'm enjoying it quite a bit; a lot more than I thought I would considering I generally dislike "action RPGs"; especially considering how wonky playing a real-time game on a touch screen can be. However the controls are actually fairly comfortable. I don't think it measures up to some of the best cRPGs, but for a mobile RPG it's exceptionally good (though it still pales in comparison to Shadowrun: Dragonfall) and right now it only costs a buck (there's a few DLC packs you can buy, but from what I can tell they are truly optional / unnecessary. I actually decided to buy them just to support Ossian studios and get a couple extra sidequests). Apparently there are multiple ways to complete a lot of the quests.

However, I'm a bit irritated to find that a certain character seems to die no matter what you do (unless I've missed something)... So far I've played around as a rogue and warrior; Combat seems absurdly easy with a melee oriented character. I may restart with a mage soon.

I've played enough that I will highly recommend it, if anyone is actually looking for a good RPG on mobile. It could be the best buck you ever spent. Not sure if it would be playable on a smart phone; perhaps if you have great eyesight.

On PC I've been trying the demo for Rogue Legacy. I don't like it at all. Too many platforming elements for my tastes. I think I'll try getting back into to D:OS.

Yes, that death in TSS is unavoidable... And lost me my favorite companion

About 15 hours deep in my Gothic 2 playthrough, playing for the first time ever. Well, I played 13 hours of it at first, but then restarted to do my YouTube Let's Play of the game from the beginning. So total I've spent about 30 hours with it.

Really loving it, though. It's already become one of my favorite RPGs just by the world design and beauty of all the game systems. The choices & consequences are done extremely well and there is a large amount of freedom and choice to be had.

This game is probably closest to my "ideal RPG" that has the most intriguing design to suit my tastes. Great stuff!

About 15 hours deep in my Gothic 2 playthrough, playing for the first time ever. Well, I played 13 hours of it at first, but then restarted to do my YouTube Let's Play of the game from the beginning. So total I've spent about 30 hours with it.

Really loving it, though. It's already become one of my favorite RPGs just by the world design and beauty of all the game systems. The choices & consequences are done extremely well and there is a large amount of freedom and choice to be had.

This game is probably closest to my "ideal RPG" that has the most intriguing design to suit my tastes. Great stuff!

Yes, playing that for the first time is a great experience!

Yep, it sure is! I'm enjoying myself a ton. The first Gothic game is one of my favorites ever as well, and I just played that for the first time a few months ago. Truly masterful games these are.

I been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition for the last couple of weeks. And, yes, I've gone beyond the Hinterlands (barely). :)

While the area designs are quite lovely, and the exploration somewhat rewarding, I find the controls clunky. I always seem to be falling off cliffs and getting myself killed. There's no way to turn off run always, and move precisely. My party moves around like a a bunch of goofy crack heads, bumping into things. Also movement seems to get hitched up on the most minor of obstacles even when there's clearly room enough to move between or above them. Walking up a slightly rocky road is a goofy stupid exercise of constantly jumping. Bioware needs to reduce the collision detection radius.

I find it rather ridiculous that metals respawn. Growing plants are one thing, but geology?

Initiating conversation will happen automatically sometimes, and then terminates prematurely when the NPC walks away. Also, at times the dialogue wheel doesn't appear.

The tactical camera needs more than an X-Y control, but also a Z control for changing elevation. And there should be a key to switch control to the next NPC. My NPC order is always changing, since I'm experiencing with different party compositions.

The crafting and buying and selling menus aren't well integrated with the inventory menu. It's very tedious to go between the various item types in inventory for each of the companions and then have to exit and enter the buy and sell or craft menus. In particular the buy and sell menus don't have the category breakdowns like the inventory menu, making it more tedious to sell stuff than necessary.

The inventory is too small, and there is no storage chest. This is very annoying.

The menus for the journal are non-responsive. A double click on a region / category should open it up. Instead it registers as 2 single clicks. Also, very annoying.

The NPC interactions and banter are OK. The conversations with Vivienne can be funny, but most others come off as rather immature (I'm looking at you Sera) with Solas, Cassandra, and Vivienne being the exceptions.

The lore is a bit disappointing. It seems very generic. And the writing in books you find is really tired, and seemingly pointless filler. Tend to skim it. A sadly wasted opportunity by Bioware.

Basically, the game needs refinement and debugging for the PC controls and presentation. The current design is poor. It wrecks an otherwise mostly enjoyable experience.

I've gotten as far as starting the mage recruitment quest, so I'm sure there's a lot more to see. Level 9 and 45 power. I ran away from the first dragon in the Hinterlands with a scorched behind. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Playing Dishonored now, and indeed it is an honour to play this game. The atmosphere is well done so much so that you can actually feel the effects of the plague from the scattered bodies, the rats, the sewers, scattered garbage, flies, NPCs talking .. etc.

The art style is unique and elaborate. World and level design is just magnificant, and it is so well done and logical that it is relatively easy to remember places. There are many ways to achieving objectives. There are primary and secondary objectives in addition to other missions that you stumble upon when you explore.

Then you have the competent gameplay mechanics and powers that you have that makes you feel like a true assassin, and verticality is just breath taking.

I also like the level design which is modular so that you can return to it later.

What I most like about Dishonored is that 'I' control the pace of gameplay, and 'I' get to choose how to play in this beatifully realised world. The only other action/adventure games that I felt this freedom in were Deus Ex 1 and 2 (no surprise since Harvey Smith did the level design for the original Deus Exs and Dishonored).

Can't wait to dive back again. Once I finish, I will play on the hardest difficulty and turn off all screen markers.

Last edited:
Just a few…
Initiating conversation will happen automatically sometimes, and then terminates prematurely when the NPC walks away. Also, at times the dialogue wheel doesn't appear.
Press F to lock the dialogue so the wheel appears and NPC doesn't escape the "crime scene".
It's still a bad design.

The crafting and buying and selling menus…
…The inventory is too small, and there is no storage chest. This is very annoying.
Consoles design and bad consoleport for the first one.
For the second, you don't need a storage chest, just sell everything you don't use (except elements resistance belts useful vs dragons and after putting research items on the research table). Keep only runes of corruption (most trashmobs are vulnerable to these), runes of lightning or whatever electrical can't remember (debuffs) and runes with bonus vs dragons, sell others and don't make new ones until neeeded. This way you don't need to unlock +15 items inventory perks.

Basically, the game needs refinement and debugging for the PC controls and presentation. The current design is poor. It wrecks an otherwise mostly enjoyable experience.
100% agree with you.
And multiplayer? I didn't try it, but suspect you did… Maybe it's better?

Playing Dishonored now
It's one rare game I couldn't find any flaw inside.

Joxer, thanks for the press 'F' tip to lock a conversation. I try that out.

Aren't those rare rings that give 30% abilitiy boni also good?

Now that I'm back at Haven after recruiting the mages, perhaps I can get rid of extra gear. I always keep better higher level equipment that I can't equip yet. Also, have been saving up aquamarines and malachite and a badge for some future quests. Still short on inventory. Lots of items from Redcliffe castle had to be destroyed or left behind….

Yes rings are good, but why would you keep them all stored "for later"? Equip two with skills your sidekick is into. Sell the rest. For example, you won't use flame bonus ring on Vivienne, she's (if you didn't go mess her skill by yourself ;)) concentrated on ice spells.

I've got tons of extra not currently useful skill rings, not sure if I will respec or level into them. Hmmmm. This is why I need a storage chest! Where is the mod or dareIsay, DLC? Ugh…

PS. I this is why the Drakensangs are better games. Storage chests. RoT had four on the ship! Pure awesomeness... :)

Yup. Drakensang chests... One for the money, two for the show.

Well, not sure what people here will think about it... but playing FF XIII PC version. I have to say that I am surprised so far, the good surprise is that there is no random encounters anymore and the graphics, sounds and presentation is fantastic, way better than you'd imagine from a almost 5 years old game, from an art perspective I can't think of a any PC game that compares, even new ones.

Strangely enough they also introduced something called auto-battle, which means that so far there has not been any gameplay. However according to what I heard, this will change later on.

You saying there is a FF game with hostiles all visible and no grinding on unkillable trashmobs?
Just tell me I can save anywhere and I'll instabuy it.

Well, Joxer sorry to disappoint but.... you can't save anywhere. On the other hand, there is a retry option, and a lot of save stations.

Retry option means that you can retry right at the start of the latest battle so you never need to replay any part you already beat. But if you have a power outage... well... it won't help unless you have a UPS.

So I've been warned. :D

I do have UPS, but if GPU demands too much power (read: if I'm playing goddamned unoptimized games, usually unoptimized because of horrid engine like Unity games), UPS thinks it's laser printer on the other side and shuts down instantly to prevent it's own damage.

You say it's 5 year old game... Maybe it doesn't want much watts to run... Should I risk it?

from an art perspective I can't think of a any PC game that compares, even new ones.

Seriously? I have to check that out then. :evilgrin:
Buying today, jumping on it right after TLR. Or after Raven's Cry, dunno...

Poor Grimrock 2 just got postponed again. :(
Oh and Tomb Raider reboot... Why did I buy it a year ago? Just because? Oh, and Stalker trilogy? When? And, and...
Geez.

Ok, just be warned, there is a character called Vanille which has been voted as the most annoying character.... ever, her walking style is kind of getting on my nerves so far, but after having played a lot of J-RPG's my tolerance level is pretty high :)

LOL
You should see walking styles in Sims 4.
Horrible. ;)

EDIT:
Saw this on Steam:
Additional Notes:
*Maximum supported frame rate: 60fps
*A game controller using Xinput is recomended for this game. (If using a DirectInput based controller, please use the driver side key configuration to adjust settings as required )
Stopped the buying process.
Any mouse support mod?

Last edited:
I'm addicted to wasteland 2 and I like it more than dos ATM. Don't think I have to say more.

It's probably the setting and gunplay that does it.

Playing Fallout New Vegas now. I usually don't play this type of games (exploration focus), but I've had it forever in my queue and probably got it for cheapz.

So far, yeah, I don't really care for exploration games. Also, I may be doing something wrong, but it feels that having both real time and VATS combat feels very overpowered. I can snipe from a mile away in real time (in VATS it says the % chance to hit is like 2%, but real time with a scope it's more like 75%), and when the creature gets close, switch to shotgun and VATS, and double wham its head. I think the game should ask you at the start "do you want to play real time or VATS", but probably that's just me.

I'll try and finish the game, but yeah, not diggin' it.

Back
Top Bottom