EA Luring Kickstarter Games To Origin

EA won't be profiting for 90 days, and it would be moronic not to take advantage of such an offer. After that (or before) just don't buy from Origin if you don't want to, or don't register it there if that's on the table. It's not an exclusive deal, after all.

If you're going to complain about developers and games being destroyed by [publisher] you may as well tilt straight at the free market windmill, it is responsible for every single game and developer destroyed, after all. It's also responsible for a lot of games getting made as well, of course, just like publishers are.

1st off Ea is more of an acquisitions firm then a publisher and i was under the impression that the whole idea of crowd funding was to keep theese projects away from companies like EA in order to give the developers complete creative freedom aswell as allowing "the little guy" to get a shot at development.
To then turn around and hand the finished product to EA for a publishing deal just does not make sense to me.
I cant imagine alot of people exclusivly using origin as their digital distribution platform of choice so i doubt they will se a noticable increase in sales (this is a niche game after all).
Sure those initial 90 "free" days could generate some significant revenue but unless Origin drops the price wich would probably make the loss of a distribution fee irrelevant to the developers (this is EA after all) why would anyone buy it off Origin instead of say Gog or even Steam.
There are plenty of ways to distrubute your game without giving a cut to an acquisitions firm.
The current "indie boom" is a good thing for comsumers and developers alike and the only way it is going to stay that way is to ensure companies like EA do not get enough of a foothold to do their usual assimilate and destroy thing.

Last edited:
We're talking about distribution, not publishing. Distribution is a bundle of logistics services for which the provider receives a fee. Publishing is something different.
If a developer signs a contract which allows a digital distributor to set the price (outside of a small corridor), he is stupid.

Thank you for the correction :) Yes I was thinking of distribution and not publishing.
Ill blame it on writing that at 2am and call it a day i think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom