BioWare - Working On An Unreleased Original IP

A game set in an alternate 18th century earth that has magic and early steampunk elements. The game would would be played in multiple locations throughout the world. This would be a unique and varied setting and there could be different gameplay depending on the area of the world you are in.

Hell I'm always pro-new IP. Just hope it's an original one this time.

This is a joke right??;)

I think there is alot of lore they can use in the dragon age universe...it is certainly laid out well. To say it is unoriginal is the same as saying any fantasy is unoriginal...I think they have left lots of room for expansion on it, any dnd world for that matter is made up of alot of lore all tied together(even the ones you make yourself.) The dwarves were well thought out, yes they are dwarves but they added their own twist(and whats wrong with that?) No matter what they did with dragon age I think it would get the reaction it gets from some of you just for the sake of playing your roles.

Anyways, the new IP.....who knows...I'm thinking the only area they haven't really gone is the post apocalyptic/vampires etc....

No Jade Empire, no SW, please.
I still dream about a huge RPG based on Frank Herbert's Dune. That would be just perfect.

One was made many years ago and I thought it was crap. Dune2 I heard was better, but I didn't buy it after my original experience.

Funny thing about dune was that it is the game that sparked command and conquer.

The Dune game you are thinking of was an adventure/strategy game and not an rpg. I don't know who says it was crap but for me it was a great game that was very unique and there hasn't been a game like it since then. At first it is just like any other adventure game in first person perspective from that time but quickly you found out it wasn't really the same. You played as Paul and at first went around gaining alliances with the people around there so you can gather spice to meet the quota assigned by the emperor. It changes into a strategy/adventure game later on when you are fighting the Harkonen.

PS. Dune 2 didn't just spark Command and Conquer since it created the rts genre as a whole.

On their official website they have listed an unannounced game for a while.

In Development:
* New Next Gen Game

I have seen a few Bioware devs make references to working on an unannounced game. It is strange timing for this to become a news story on a few gaming sites.

It may have been postponed/cancelled earlier this year. And its team members moved to ME2 and DA:0. It could have been in early production with just a very small team of writers and designers.

(Unless they had a second unannounced game)

This is a joke right??;)

I think there is alot of lore they can use in the dragon age universe…it is certainly laid out well. To say it is unoriginal is the same as saying any fantasy is unoriginal…I think they have left lots of room for expansion on it, any dnd world for that matter is made up of alot of lore all tied together(even the ones you make yourself.) The dwarves were well thought out, yes they are dwarves but they added their own twist(and whats wrong with that?) No matter what they did with dragon age I think it would get the reaction it gets from some of you just for the sake of playing your roles…
I finally started playing DAO just so I can comment on it, and I am in the camp of head-scratchers who wonder why an "original IP" in such long production looks so completely Tolkienesque. I mean, even the visuals just remind me so hard of everything that's come before.

Yes, a fantasy world can be original, and no, DAO's is not. Think of the FF series, and how it completely invents a new look and lore with every iteration. I don't want to play them, but those games (which aren't even labelled as original IPs) seem have WAY more differences between them than DAO's world and either Tolkien or whatever the heck the DnD world is called.

I mean, jeez. You don't HAVE to have elves and dwarves and werewolves and dragons and ogres etc. And even f you do, they don't have to all hew SO closely to the archetypes: Dwarves don't HAVE to live underground and be smiths, Elves don't HAVE to be expert archers and live a brillion years.

I mean, it's fine, we all like that stuff but ORIGINAL it's not. Explain how it could be any LESS original and not actually be IN Middle Earth or (wikipedia go!) Forgotten Realms/Faerun?

Maybe their next original IP will be a post-apocalyptic wasteland version of America with lots of guns and black humor. That would be cool.

I finally started playing DAO just so I can comment on it, and I am in the camp of head-scratchers who wonder why an "original IP" in such long production looks so completely Tolkienesque. I mean, even the visuals just remind me so hard of everything that's come before.

Yes, a fantasy world can be original, and no, DAO's is not. Think of the FF series, and how it completely invents a new look and lore with every iteration. I don't want to play them, but those games (which aren't even labelled as original IPs) seem have WAY more differences between them than DAO's world and either Tolkien or whatever the heck the DnD world is called.

I mean, jeez. You don't HAVE to have elves and dwarves and werewolves and dragons and ogres etc. And even f you do, they don't have to all hew SO closely to the archetypes: Dwarves don't HAVE to live underground and be smiths, Elves don't HAVE to be expert archers and live a brillion years.

I mean, it's fine, we all like that stuff but ORIGINAL it's not. Explain how it could be any LESS original and not actually be IN Middle Earth or (wikipedia go!) Forgotten Realms/Faerun?

Maybe their next original IP will be a post-apocalyptic wasteland version of America with lots of guns and black humor. That would be cool.

The only thing it has is the look of the lord of the rings...nothing else.

I looked up Herzog Zwei and from what I read about how the game works I don't know if I would consider it in the same genre as modern RTS games. You don't have direct control of your troops and can only give basic orders when they are deployed which means everything after deployment is autonomous. In RTS games you (usually) have direct control at will of every troop you control.

The only thing it has is the look of the lord of the rings…nothing else.

Really? You must have been playing a different version of DA than the rest of us, then. There are so many rip-offs in this game one loses count: the darkspawn look exactly like orcs (except the ogres) from Peter Jackson's films (the "epic" battle scene at Ostagar even more so; fancy seeing you there, Helm's Deep/Minas Tirith), the "ser" is straight out of George RR Martin, Orzammar looks identical to WoW's Ironforge, and even the Fade looks like a poor man's Planescape.

Expecting originality from Bioware is like expecting a retarded baboon to recite Shakespeare and perform advanced calculus. I'm not sure why they even pay their writers (or grant them wages higher than a McDonald's grunt). You can probably get a team of teenagers who've grown up on D&D to come up with something more or less the same, and I bet they'd even do it for free. It might even contain more originality than the tripefest that's DA's setting. Man, Bioware's writers are basically con artists.

well look who crawled out of his coffin to come spread his usual cheer and good tidings!

Yeah, it's all pretty much the same dwarves/elves/dragons, whatever. Thing is, so what - most people are fine w/ that. I'm fine w/ that. "That's why", as Yahtzee would say, "Blizzard is buying their 14th yacht".

Yes, yes, you enjoy inferior rehashed tripe, I understand. A million maggots on excrement can't be wrong and all. Excuse me for not wanting to join in the orgiastic feasting on said excrement. You'll grow into a beautiful fly, I'm sure, ready to spawn another batch of larvae to thrive on the next pile of turd.

Well, youre as big a fly feasting away like the rest of us ANYWAY if you bought the game, knowing what you instrinsically know about Bioware there, Einstein.

I looked up Herzog Zwei and from what I read about how the game works I don't know if I would consider it in the same genre as modern RTS games. You don't have direct control of your troops and can only give basic orders when they are deployed which means everything after deployment is autonomous. In RTS games you (usually) have direct control at will of every troop you control.

I used to have Herzog Zwei for the Sega Genesis, it was definitely an RTS game, although very unrefined compared to modern RTS games.

Well, youre as big a fly feasting away like the rest of us ANYWAY if you bought the game, knowing what you instrinsically know about Bioware there, Einstein.

What makes you think I bought the game, maggot?

Oh wow, this must be your bad boy look! I'm impressed!

Regardless of how you aquired the game, bad boy Essaliad, youre still just an angry little elitist sourpuss that is funny to watch, as you once again try and sound smart as you once again piss and moan about some tolkienesqe fantasy game, called as such by everyone from the rooftops from it's very genesis, for being a tolkienesque fantasy game.

Are you not literate, dear maggot? "Elitist sourpuss"? How, well, kindergarten of you.

The only thing it has is the look of the lord of the rings…nothing else.

This is what I replied to, remember?

Rail and scream louder because, after all, anything negative said about the greatest RPG ever is a mortal and personal insult to you. I'm sure Gaider and Weekes will care and shower you with adoration. Perhaps they'll even let you have a taste of their bodily fluids.

Why the emotional crap? We all think differently of the game, and so what?

I think it's one of the best in recent times - but not quite the throwback to the golden years I thought it was, at first. But it's a damn fine game from where I'm sitting, and expecting something original from a fantasy CRPG is not what I go about doing - and since originality in terms of setting is WAY down on my list, it's not like it's a problem for me :)

Back
Top Bottom