King's Bounty: Advice please!

Crossworlds is actually Armored Princess "enhanced".
But as GG said, The Legend is the one to start with.

If you were "only ever to play one KB game", I'd say pick the third one. It's KB:Warriors of North as it contains a few new spectacular music scores.

However Warriors of the North are loooooong and a bit more difficult (when you play as a "mage" or "warrior"). The legend had the best story and was quite epic plus it was not overly complicated. But beware - if you liked HoMM series then there is a high chance that you will be addicted to these games - as it was my case... But anyway it's great fun to play these games, even on higher difficulty levels.

I still need to play Crossroads, and Warriors of the North. Will inevitably get them the next time they are offered for less than a happy meal.

I think it's a mixed bag, although starting with Legends is never a bad thing.

Legend had a better story and overall campaign progression. The pacing was very good and so was the difficulty ramp up.

AP on the other hand has much better overall game mechanics. The units, the class abilities, the spells, all of these things are much better designed with many more viable options. The only exception was the dragon who just wasn't as cool as the rage box. But the story and pacing aren't as good, and the difficulty goes from really hard in the beginning to easy at the end.

I think it's a mixed bag, although starting with Legends is never a bad thing.

Legend had a better story and overall campaign progression. The pacing was very good and so was the difficulty ramp up.

AP on the other hand has much better overall game mechanics. The units, the class abilities, the spells, all of these things are much better designed with many more viable options. The only exception was the dragon who just wasn't as cool as the rage box. But the story and pacing aren't as good, and the difficulty goes from really hard in the beginning to easy at the end.

this. perfect summary.

the difficulty goes from really hard in the beginning to easy at the end.

That is true. At the beginning you do have to run around several islands, slowly picking off the easier enemies and finding stronger troops. I imagine a lot of people got turned off by that.

If you play one - you'll play the the rest of them, too. Thread closed.

Just sayin':

Attachments

• Kings-Bounty Kopie.jpg
    Kings-Bounty Kopie.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 55
We shall see. I played an hour or so of Legend. It hasn't sunk its teeth in yet, but there's plenty of time!

Ouch. I should have never have started playing these games - I'm now utterly addicted and not getting any work done!

Ouch. I should have never have started playing these games - I'm now utterly addicted and not getting any work done!
You were warned. ;)

Yeah we told you so…….. and there is a lot of them.. each one is very very long too :D

It is not enough to finish it once either, you should beat it on impossible difficulty with all different classes :D

Now, the more difficult question is between KB and HoMM. If someone walked up to us wanting to dabble in this sort of game, do we offer up King's Bounty or Heroes?

Aw man, don't tell me I should be playing the HoM&M games too?! I've always ignored them in the past because, well, they're not M&M games. (Silly, I know.)

King's Bounty is actually a re-make/update of the original King's Bounty game which became...wait for it...HoMM1.

As the franchise went on, the storyline was shared and intertwined between the M&M RPGs and HoMM. So, by HoMM2, that series actually was part of the M&M canon.

Yeah, I was aware of the original King's Bounty, but it wasn't a straight-up RPG, so my young self was rather scornful of it. I've mellowed with age, clearly. ;)

I had the Sega Genesis version of the original KB when I was a kid. Great game for its time..I played the hell out of it. :)

Aw man, don't tell me I should be playing the HoM&M games too?! I've always ignored them in the past because, well, they're not M&M games. (Silly, I know.)

The HoMM games are similar. The tactical battles are similar in that your hero has an army, and when there is a battle, a big tactical map comes up and each unit and your hero (and possibly an enemy hero) move in turns until a side is defeated. The main difference is outside. In KB, the outdoor game is real time unless you pause it. In HoMM it's turn based. Also in HoMM you control towns, and each town gives you money, army and bonuses, while in KB towns are just there for you to buy/sell stuff and talk to its ruler to do quests.

After you're done with the KB games, you can play the HoMM games. I would skip HoMM1 (too old and no real story). Play HoMM 2 then HoMM 3 which is almost universally considered the best of the series. I would skip HoMM 4 which is (by me) considered the very worst of the series. Then 5 and 6 I liked but some people didn't, so it's more of a personal thing.

Back
Top Bottom