Witcher 3 - Preview @ Gamespot

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamespot has posted a new preview/interview of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that talks about how the game handles sex , alchemy, and monster hunting.

Less ugly is CD Projekt Red's approach to the series' depiction of sex. Geralt is defined in the Witcher books as a good lover, and he'll have his fair share of sexual adventures in The Witcher 3, though Platkow-Gilewski says that all of these romances will be strongly connected to the story. "It will never happen just for the sake of having more sex in the games," he continues. "That's not our point. It's not a Pokemon way, like 'collect them all.'"

Given The Witcher 3's focus on open-world monster hunting, Platkow-Gilewski didn't rule out the possibility of a monster encounter becoming more intimate. "It happened in the past," he hints. "It depends what kind of monsters Geralt will have to face. But it's not a way of beating the monster." Regardless of how monstrous Geralt's mistresses may be, CD Projekt Red is keeping The Witcher 3's sex scenes free of interactivity, avoiding the use of quick-time events in them--and in the rest of the game entirely.

CD Projekt Red has also overhauled the series' alchemy system, although Geralt won't be brewing any love potions. Platkow-Gilewski says that alchemy in The Witcher 2 was "not rewarding," because you had to somehow know in advance the type of enemies you were about to face in order to imbibe the right cocktail of magical buffs. "Now, you will have a few charges of the effect of the potion," Platkow-Gilewski continues. "It's not like you're drinking and have a certain period where you have to act really fast. You can use the specific effect of this potion when it's needed." CD Projekt Red believes this makes investing in the alchemy skill tree more viable than before, whilst the other two skill trees--sword mastery and magic--will be filled out with more active abilities rather than passive skills.
More information.

Nice to see something else than graphics being discussed for a change (While I do appreciate these guys pushing the envelope and all that).

And yeah, Alchemy was a bit disappointing and overly streamlined in #2, definitely needed an overhaul...

I like what I see. This game is definitely in my top 3 of most anticipated for 2014. :)

EDIT: Erm, forgot it has been pushed to 2015. :(

Certainly felt like collect them all in TW1. I mean you had cards and all!

Arrgh!
All I wanted was to collect more cards and now it's not in the game - again! :pout:

Almost certainly :)

What is a good question though is : are they done with the IP/setting after this end to Geralt's story or are we going to get more RPGs in it possibly with different characters ?
(I have trouble seeing these guys do something else than a story and CnC driven rpg and that possibly alludes to at least a set of semi preset characters ? But who knows...)

I'd like to get that question asked on an interview some time at least...

Last edited:
Swords? What two swords? Who cares about swords?
I want a choice between more than two girls!

I'm confident that TW3 will be better. I still think TW2 is a great game though. Especially with all the improvements that have been patched into it since it was released.

CD Projekt Red prefers this approach to the easier crutch of filling its open world with collectibles or random item drops--aspects which Babiel views as a distraction. "If it's mindless, we don't like it," he says.

GODDAMMIT I LOVE THIS COMPANY.

UBISOFT, this is meant for YOU.

But, but, there's a silver sword… and a steel sword. Or you could use a hand axe and do 1/10th the damage. Choices, consequences!

Did you complain about lightsabers in KotoR as well? ;)

Games are different and cater to different tastes. The Witcher games are not about equipment, just as the TES games arent about writing.

You complaining about the Witcher seems to make about as much sense as me whining about WoW, a game I dont play in a genre that I dont care for.

I like games where you don't switch your gear again and again. For me that actually breaks immersion to a certain degree. I don't think an actual warrior or soldier would switch his sword whiches balance and grip he knows perfectly for a new shiny one, just because it does 5% more damage.

There were times I really liked collecting better and better gear (Diablo 1!), but for me these days are gone.

What I'm really looking forward to is Kingdom Come, where you have to select your weapon according to the enemy.

There are loot driven games where frequent gear switching is appropriate - but The Witcher is about a character fighting in specific ways for a specific reason.

If you don't like that, that's fine - but it's a bit weak to bitch and moan about it as if there's something wrong with it.

It's clearly an intended part of the design that even the most mentally challenged should be able to appreciate.

I just want Geralt to create a potion of youth and unscarring, then I'm good. Playing a geriatric feels too close to home :)

Back
Top Bottom