NWN2 - Baldur's Gate II: Reloaded Mod

blatantninja,
Nice, so it requires BG to be installed (i guess they didnt just steal the music / voices)?

What are your thoughts about the combat, is it better than in the old BG?

Fluent,
In BG2 EE you don't need to click the bodies to loot, i've always find that to be a total drag in BG series since there's a lot of that..

No, it doesn't require the originals, the necessary files are included in it.

As for the combat, I found it harder than the original. Not sure if its better or worse, just different since the interface is so different.

NWN 1 & 2 were fun games, but the NWN2 engine is garbage. Bad performance, ugly graphics, and they managed to break movement in the last patch they ever released. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it for anything. I'd have preferred NWN1. Ah well. I like the original BG engines just fine anyway.

Fluent,
In BG2 EE you don't need to click the bodies to loot, i've always find that to be a total drag in BG series since there's a lot of that..

Hmm, I didn't use this feature at all. I click every body because I want to see what the person has before taking it. It's not so bad if you highlight all the bodies on the ground so you can see what you're doing better...

I wrote more about it in the original post here announcing when it was released, but here are my basic thoughts:

1) Its amazingly well done. They really did an excellent job of putting EVERYTHING into it from the original. They did not seem to do any of the restored content or anything, its a faithful recreation of the original plus TotSC

2) I found the combat difficult (I am not a good tactical player by any means). I actually modified the party size (you have to modify a file) to allow me to have 8 party members instead of 6. That helped with the combat and just made it more enjoyable to myself.

3) Certain things in NWN2 don't work very well in this setting.
The main one is 'hidden items.' The two that come to mind are the ring outside the Friendly Arm Inn and the Ankegg Armor outside Naskell
In the original, you have to do some pixel hunting (or with EE, just hit the tab key), but you can find them pretty easy. In BGR, you have to have someone using the search function, which makes them REALLY slow. I believe certain race or classes are always in search, but otherwise, if you are using your thief (Imoen for me), if you don't have her going super slow in search mode, you'd never know these items are there. There is nothing to indicate that they might be in the area.

4) The areas feel smaller than the original areas. I don't know if that is by intent or a limitation of the engine. I prefer it though, as it would take forever to clear an area if they were bigger. It think it works well.

5) I only encountered one bug (I have not finished the game though), involving the mage in the circus outside Naskell. I couldn't get him to attack me, even after I didn't let him kill the witch. So I attacked him and EVERYONE in the area became hostile. I already had everything I needed from that area, but now I can't go back there to buy anything or sell loot.

Overall, really a fantastic experience and highly recommended for anyone that enjoys NWN2.

NWN 1 & 2 were fun games, but the NWN2 engine is garbage. Bad performance, ugly graphics, and they managed to break movement in the last patch they ever released. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it for anything. I'd have preferred NWN1. Ah well. I like the original BG engines just fine anyway.

I didn't start playing NWN2 probably until 2009. The only time I ever experienced any bad performance was when I got into Neverwinter, had all the settings on high and had 6 or 7 people in my party (I had modded it to allow a larger party). That was on my older machine though. Last time I played it (Video card from 2011, but can't remember exactly which one), I had no issues with that.

What movement was broken? I'm fully patched and had no issues that I have seen playing BGR.

No argument here about the performance; it could have been much better. But there are mods you can take that will improve the graphical experience. See, for example, Xaltars wonderful NWN2 Facelift Pack.

Hmm, I didn't use this feature at all. I click every body because I want to see what the person has before taking it. It's not so bad if you highlight all the bodies on the ground so you can see what you're doing better…

You still see all the items and you still click on what you want. You just don't need to click each and every body to loot them one by one, it really helps in battles with many bodies.

You still see all the items and you still click on what you want. You just don't need to click each and every body to loot them one by one, it really helps in battles with many bodies.

How does that work? Is there something to click to open a screen or something? I have BG2EE, but haven't played it beyond getting out of the initial dungeon.

I hope they do a torment EE with high resolution graphics soon. I'm waiting for it to do my first play through.

A shame they lost the source art of BG

Given that they didn't have the original art assets for BG, I doubt they will have them for Ps:T either.

Shht. I'm daydreaming (-: I have looked into the resolution mods but they don't seem to be ideal

How does that work? Is there something to click to open a screen or something? I have BG2EE, but haven't played it beyond getting out of the initial dungeon.

yeah there's a red button you can click. It's basically like a container with all items from the corpses.

edit:

09i3n.jpg

I didn't start playing NWN2 probably until 2009. The only time I ever experienced any bad performance was when I got into Neverwinter, had all the settings on high and had 6 or 7 people in my party (I had modded it to allow a larger party). That was on my older machine though. Last time I played it (Video card from 2011, but can't remember exactly which one), I had no issues with that.

What movement was broken? I'm fully patched and had no issues that I have seen playing BGR.

I had two technical issues with NWN2.

First the loading times are very bad, and you are treated to a loading screen whenever you enter a building. This makes small maps with multiple houses very annoying.

The second issue was a bug. Sometimes characters "teleport" back while walking.

Yes, the so-called "rubberbanding" can kill you during combat. But it was rare enough that I didn't throw out the baby with the bath water.

yeah there's a red button you can click. It's basically like a container with all items from the corpses.

edit:

09i3n.jpg

Thanks!

And you've actually played them, right? ;)

Nope, I just was expecting more than what I saw when I went to buy them. I thought they would have modernized the game; considering the amount of time from the start of development to release. Instead, it was basically the same game with some minor cosmetics and resolution changes. I kinda expected more, especially since they were charging over $20 for it. Crazy.

Nope, I just was expecting more than what I saw when I went to buy them. I thought they would have modernized the game; considering the amount of time from the start of development to release. Instead, it was basically the same game with some minor cosmetics and resolution changes. I kinda expected more, especially since they were charging over $20 for it. Crazy.

No, it's not crazy. $20 is quite fair for fans of the game that wanted those features. I'm not sure what you mean by "modernize" the game. It's not a remake, and it obviously wouldn't be only $20 if it was.

$20 is basically the price of one meal or a cab ride, etc., nowadays. Unless you're still living in the 90's.

Back
Top Bottom