Games like Fallout ,Icewind dale?

TheProduct

Watcher
I am new to pc gaming and even though i have a decent rig i am in love with fallout 1 and Icewind dale.. only 2 games i played on the pc since a friend highly recommended them, these older games are amazing and i find myself addicted to games from late 90's to early 2000's, any suggestions to this new pc gamer…thank you.

P.S- I could go in-depth into my love for these two games but i wnna keep it short and simple.

I think you should check out games like Eschalon Book I & II, and also Avadon. These are indie games, but definitely fun stuff in isometric, turn-based combat style.

On the off chance that you haven't tried the Baldur's Gate series you should give them a go. Planescape: Torment maybe, the setting is weird and combat isn't great, but can often be avoided, and the story is great. Divine Divinity could be worth a look too.

Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate 1+2, and relatively soon Wasteland 2.

Sadly there were very few games of that type ever made and the best of them were Baldurs Gate 1-2, Planescape Torment and Fallout 1-2. Temple of elemental evil is not half bad either.
If it is well written stories and interesting settings you are after however they kinda stopped doing those sometime in the last decade with a few rare exeptions (alltho they are comming back with a vengeance) so my recommendations are mostly 10 years or older.
In no particular order:
Deus Ex (every pc gamer should play this) ,Fallout New Vegas, Max Payne 1-2, The Witcher 1-2, System shock 2, Vampire Bloodlines, Gothic 1-2 (horrible grafix and the controls are hard to get used to but a cult classic for a reason), The Elder Scrolls Morrowind (oblivion and Skyrim are also enjoyable with the right mods), Halflife 1-2 (not much story just pure gameplay excellence), Dishonored and Risen.
Fallout 3 is definetly worth a try too even if it is somewhat lacking in the story department.

Last edited:
Thank you for the recommendations I have heard great things about planescape torment and i cant wait to play it.. all these games sound awesome.

They are to many here, the pinnacle of CRPG gaming. Enjoy!

All great recommendations above.

Also check out Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor if you like HUGE (but somewhat repetitive looking) dungeons to explore and tons of fun isometric party based turn-based combat.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have to assume by "like Fallout and Icewind Dale" that you mean the sorta top-down/isometric point-and-click storyline adventure? If so...

Fallout 1 + 2
Icewind Dale 1 + 2
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
Planescape: Torment

and of course, soon, Pillars of Eternity, made by the same designers from all the Infinity Engine games (Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, etc).

Besides the games that have been mention already, I would say you should check out Dragon age, it’s a bit newer, but it got that party base strategy style to it, along with a great story.

Also Neverwinter nights and Neverwinter nights 2, the first one is only worth it for the expansion stories and mods but the second is an pretty solid game all the way though.

I have to assume by "like Fallout and Icewind Dale" that you mean the sorta top-down/isometric point-and-click storyline adventure? If so…

Fallout 1 + 2
Icewind Dale 1 + 2
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2

and of course, soon, Pillars of Eternity, made by the same designers from all the Infinity Engine games (Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, etc).

Yes i do and i like deep stories but i also like combat heavy games too as long as they are well made and thank you all for replying.

I'd also vote for Jagged Alliance 2. Not technically RPG by most accounts but among the best tactical combat engines. You get to create your own mercs or just hire them and modding community is still very active 14 years after release.

I have to assume by "like Fallout and Icewind Dale" that you mean the sorta top-down/isometric point-and-click storyline adventure? If so…

Fallout 1 + 2
Icewind Dale 1 + 2
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2

For the record, former Obsidian (then Black Isle) did not make Baldur's Gate series... BG was developed by Bioware.

Also, Pillars of Eternity is not quite so soon yet... still got 6 months to go :(

They are to many here, the pinnacle of CRPG gaming. Enjoy!

All great recommendations above.

Also check out Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor if you like HUGE (but somewhat repetitive looking) dungeons to explore and tons of fun isometric party based turn-based combat.

Cheers!

I bought Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor second hand at a garage sale awhile back but never installed it, didn't really realize that it was turned-based combat. Now that I know it's time to give it a try.

I bought Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor second hand at a garage sale awhile back but never installed it, didn't really realize that it was turned-based combat. Now that I know it's time to give it a try.

Better off playing the good Pool of Radiance (88') and the rest of the AD&D Gold Box games. You can import parties from one game to the next. (and then Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday while you're at it)

If you dig that stuff, you have Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures and modules.

http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php

Also check out Knights of the Chalice.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/KOTC_Introduction.htm

It's turn-based with a countdown timer. Options allow you to set the timeout to infinity basically making it a turn-based game.

Cheers!

thank you all , I have never recently been invested in a game like fallout and icewind dale for years and i cant wait to try all these games.

A little warning about Planescape: Torment:
This game focuses on story, characters and writing. So don't expect much action.

Back
Top Bottom