Winter-Themed RPG's

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Icewind Dale 1 +2. Skyrim. When you think about it, it seems like there's gotta be loads of winter-themed RPG's. I'm not sure if it's the season or my mood (or maybe just not enough snow), but I've been scouring my collections, trying to find every winter-themed RPG I can. I'm coming up short. I want a bitterly cold game to cuddle up with. ^.^

Which RPG's do you play when you want winter cheer? Which ones can you think of that have either winter areas or a winter theme?

Winter Voices comes to mind, but as I haven't gotten round to playng it, I can't really say how wintery or RPG it is.

If Lord of the Rings Online is something that floats your boat there's 2 very beautifully crafted wintery areas.

"Breath of Winter" is an expansion for Spellforce 1. While it isn't a pure RPG but an RPG-RTS-Hybrid, it is really "cool"! :cool:

You can get it from GoG as a part of the Spellforce Platinum editition.

Last edited:
There are a few RPGs with snowy areas, such as Gothic 2 and M&M 6, but very few that exclusively take place in such regions. I live in Norway though, so I see snow often enough as it is. :)

Thanks, everyone! I had no idea about *any* of these (aside from big names like Game of Thrones)…or at least that these titles had some of the wintry content they did.

Now I'm gonna rush off and try to find some sales while they're still going on. :)

Thank you!

I vaguely recall a survival RPG set in a snowy setting. Otherwise I cant think of that many besides the titles mentioned (even if I suspect Maylander means Gothic 3). The first Realms of Arkania also had snowy regions that were a pain to travel through in winter.

Dungeon Siege 2 also fits into the "snowy areas" group that Maylander mentions.

If you want a fantasy series set in Winter, try Winter of the World trilogy by Michael Scott Rohan. Pretty good read.

Also, the Blade of Destiny remake is a winter setting. Fluent had an article about it with a more recent build of the game than the one I tackled. I never got out of the first town much, but it has been updated a ton since then. http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=227

If I remember right in the first Bard's Tale game the Evil Sorcerer Managar casted an eternal winter on to the city of Skara Brae.

Gothic 3 also has a big winter region in it.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Skyrim. With a few mods you can change the weather, and add real life dangers. Just remember to buy torches, protection, and winter gear.

Update- Disregard my post since you already know of Skyrim, but it is still the best one out of all the games listed. Gothic 3 would be my next suggestion, but Hidden X beat me to it.

Last edited:
Skyrim is named in the first sentence:)

The Bards Tale remake had a few winter areas now that I think about it.

I guess most rpg's have a snowy area or two.

Let me be different and say assassins creed 3 ;-) Atmosphere is important to me, and for some reasons wintery landscapes always do the trick.

Have to say, seeing a snowy area on a game for sale or hearing from friends that much of the action takes place in a cold environment can actually influence me purchasing games. I do love da snow!

HiddenX beat me to it with Bard's Tale, but I'll also add that Bard's Tale III featured one particular wintery plane entitled Gelidia.

"The ice storm whips up a terrible chill,
so hurry to Lanatir or be frozen still"… :)

Ultima Underworld II also has a fantastic cold/snow section where you can slide across the ice and dodge the ice-blocks thrown by trolls. :)

Given that the four elemental planes are a common cRPG trope, the usage of such imagery and concepts is relatively common. Most action role-playing games will have a section covered in snow. Sacred immediately comes to mind…

Back
Top Bottom