RPGWatch Feature: Divine Divinity Retrospective

The class isn't so important, because it's an open skill game where you can build your character how you like. However, the class will determine your starting stats and therefore the general approach -- in the beginning, anyway.

Do you like a particular approach? I'm currently replaying as a mage but probably like Survivor (ranger slash rogue type character).

To answer my own question, you can actually leave town without doing the starter dungeon. If you don't mind wading through the high-level orcs roaming the countryside.

As for the music, there is another way to get it if you don't want to download the MP3s. The game stores the music in Ogg format. Someone created a utility to extract the Oggs, but the original site seems to have disappeared from the net, so I uploaded a copy of the utility: http://tesoga.com/utils/DDMusicExtractor.zip

You'll need to have the game installed for this to work.

Do you like a particular approach? I'm currently replaying as a mage but probably like Survivor (ranger slash rogue type character).

It depends on the game, some classes are just done better in certain games. Is it harder to deal with the larger mobs when playing as a ranger\rogue type in DD? Which of the 3 class specific talents would you say is the most useful?

Also, are weapons in DD all treated the same as far as the type of damage is concerned? For instance, are maces and hammers more effective against skeletons than swords and so on?

It depends on the game, some classes are just done better in certain games. Is it harder to deal with the larger mobs when playing as a ranger\rogue type in DD? Which of the 3 class specific talents would you say is the most useful?

Also, are weapons in DD all treated the same as far as the type of damage is concerned? For instance, are maces and hammers more effective against skeletons than swords and so on?

From what I remember there was not only blunt/slashing type damages, but the whole gamut of poison -> fire as well.

The more you slaughtered your opponents, you could see more stats on what they were vulnerable too and change your approach accordingly.

The speed of the weapon in use was also a big factor - I remember playing a big chunk with a low-damage, but very fast sword :)

It depends on the game, some classes are just done better in certain games.
Hmmm... I don't think that's the case in DivDiv. It really has a lot more to do with your skill selections than starting class. As to advice for which skills to avoid or which are one point wonders, I thinkg the Dots old DivDiv site had a good bit on that.

Is it harder to deal with the larger mobs when playing as a ranger\rogue type in DD?
I don't think so. But again, that has a lot to do with what skills you chose. You can make it hard on yourself. Or easy. Or somewhere inbetween.

Which of the 3 class specific talents would you say is the most useful?
The mage's special teleport/switch place thing is of dubious value. The warrior's whirl and the survivor's sneak are both good.

The least used skill - at least according to the forums - is the "fake death" skill.

I never used it.

However, maybe I should reinstall it, too ...

Brand new news : According to this thread, the next title is called: "Divinity 2 : Ego Drakonis" !

The source is the German mag called "PC Games", which Kitiara (originator of the thread above) received as a subscriber earlier.

She writes that the mag has an exclusive 4-pages preview including screenshots and a video !

Cool, but, uhm, are these guys really trying to win an award for worst videogame name ever?

I have no idea. The news is too fresh.

I thought they already won that award with the first game!! :)

Did the PC Games confirm that dtp is the publisher?

The name is indeed even worse than DivDiv.

Started up a game of DD last night and played for a few hours. My only complaint is that the game is tough on the eyes, not in a graphical sense, but literally. Playing in 1024x768, after a few hours my eyes were killing me trying to focus on so many small items against the detailed backgrounds.

Question: Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the skills Ranger Sight and Elven Sight?

I played a survivor character, relying mostly on bow weapons. It works really well, especially if you get the poison skills to create poison weapons -- being able to shoot arrows from afar and watch the bad guys drop dead at your feet from the poison on them was certainly satisfying!

Divine Divinity is also one of my favorite games. I did get bogged down at the end of the game, and still need to actually finish it, but everything I did was delightful. The thing that stands out for me is that it just has a lot of character: from the wonderful distinctive music, to many of the silly little quests you can stumble on, it doesn't feel like anything else.

This is one of the most asked questions in the Larian forum, actually.

I lost track of the numbers of posts regarding this, so I don't remember the answer.

Maybe this thread is able to help you : http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=46366#Post46366

Differences between classes - a comparison : http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7394&site_id=1#import

Thank you Alrik.

Not sure why they even included Ranger Sight in the game, it appears to be the exact same skill as Elven Sight except much less effective.

I have no idea. Maybe they wanted to put Elven Sight as an Elven-only skill in the first place ... I don't know.

There's quite some cut content in the game due to CDV not giving them time and/or money. Like the *original* "source" from the very beginning of the game ... (The one Mardaneus talks about.)
It's still there, but not acesssible under normal circumstances. Cut content, so to say.

Not sure why they even included Ranger Sight in the game, it appears to be the exact same skill as Elven Sight except much less effective.

My assumption was that it was key to both 'paths' and they wanted it easily accessible for those who were trying to be a more 'pure class'. At least that is how I tried to play. But even with my battlemage I often just did Freeze and whack them to death ...

Back
Top Bottom