The Witcher - One of the Top 100 PC Best Sellers

magerette

Hedgewitch
The official site for CDProjekt's 2007 crpg, The Witcher reports it's sales figures for the game place it on the list of Top 100 Best Selling PC Games in History:
First of all, I would like to apologize to all of you, as we’re going to brag once again. Yes, yes – I know we promised not to do that again, but on the other hand the occasion is so important for us that we couldn’t avoid mentioning it. So what’s all the buzz about? Well, according to our latest sales data, The Witcher has sold more than 1,2 million copies around the world! “More numbers,” you might say, but let me finish ..Because of those numbers, The Witcher has jumped onto the list of the 100 bestselling PC games in history! Not bad, huh?

Nevertheless, bragging is not the most important thing here. What’s important is the fact that we would like to thank all of you - our fans. We did it once before with the anniversary movie, and we just can’t stop thanking you for making The Witcher a popular choice among PC games. You are the real proof that sometimes going upstream, no matter what people say, is worth taking a risk. Without you, none of this would be possible and none of our dreams would ever come true.
More information.

Would like to see where they base the "100 best selling games" number from, but nevertheless, a remarkable achievement!

Whatsoever.

1,200,000 million is a rock solid hit
- Many congratulations to that!:party:

Something dtp/Radon Labs can only dream of with their just around 100,000 sold units for Drakensang in Germany. That´s but a mere twelvth of the Witcher.
:juggle:

Ragon, the TDE Mage

Comparing german sales of a game to worldwide sells of another?

Well deserved for The Witcher! In this case, a little bragging should be forgiven :)

Regarding the sales comparison with Drakensang:

The Witcher was released worldwide end of Oktober 2007, while Drakensang was released in the German speaking part of Europe on August 1, 2008 and internationally just last month on February 24, 2009.

Considering these release dates, comparing the total sales figures is not very meaningful, but it would probably be interesting to compare the initial sales figures of The Witcher and Drakensang in the US when they become available.

No cookie, IMO: TW had more hype, after a fashion. At the very least, the English translation of The Last Wish was released in Feb 07, which may have generated some interest by the time the game came out in Oct 07 (Gollancz worked quite hard to pimp Sapkowski). There's also the (probably slight, but there) fringe benefit of using Bioware's engine, which may have gotten NWN players/Bioware fans interested. Before TLW was translated in English, it already got translated into Czech, French, Lithaunian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. Little things, but they add up.

By contrast, outside of Germany, as far as I know The Dark Eye isn't that well-known. The fact that the game lacks cinematic storytelling value, which is something RPG fans of today practically require thanks to Bioware and such ilk, is only going to be a disadvantage.

Comparing german sales of a game to worldwide sells of another?

I wonder how many copies TW sold initially in Poland. I imagine a lot, since I get the impression that Sapkowski is to the Polish fantasy genre what George R. R. Martin or Robert Jordan is to the English-speaking one.

Brag all they want. They made a great game. It deserves every bit of this success. Thanks CD Projekt Red and keep up the good work and commitment to your fans and products.

I would say Drakensang is next. First hit Germany by storm now us. Ummm Could they please send one...just one...to Asia there is a store owner frantacitly looking to get it for me ;)

Back
Top Bottom