Does anyone have an opinion on these games?

Going with Wizardry 6 was a good choice :).
The character system is meaty and the combat is a good contender for the best iteration in a blob besides W7-8.
Despite the samey environmental visuals, the game manages to be rather atmospheric/immersive thanks to plentiful text descriptions and the story elements are pretty solid and at times unique too.
Moreover, puzzle-wise, besides the traditional lever/button stuff, there´s unusually prominent emphasis on more typical adventure game elements (using items at right places, sometimes combining items in inventory or telling an NPC the right thing).
In this regard I think it´s also the best balanced game in the W6-8 bunch - W7 goes sometimes overboard with difficulty/obscurity and in W8 the puzzle elements are relatively sparse.
Being able to continue with the same party in the two sequels is a cherry on the top :).

Wiz 1-5 are grindy. Wiz 6 and 7 are not, IIRC, but are very very long. Very enjoyable (to me).

Devil Whiskey once you get going you don't really have any grind; the frequent encounters mean that you'll advance rapidly. It can be difficult to start, but once you get going, it's a little too easy. Even after the last balancing patches. Maybe some of the mods changed it though, I never tried any of them. Good for a Bard's Tale fan, and a fairly fun old school dungeon romp, but not very challenging.

Wizardry 7 is nice and very large, tough fights and puzzles.
I recently bought Legend of Grimrock but had an instant craving for Stonekeep which I did 20 years ago so I am playing that again. But I have to say, it still looks rather nice (currently in the Sharga Mines). WAHOOKA!

I don't remember Stonekeep dropping in quality after a couple of levels. That said, I don't even remember if I completed it. I do remember getting to some sewers or something with a Witch? Also, something about some dwarves.

It's been a LONG time :)

But I definitely remember it as pretty good all the way I played.

Stonekeep… superb start, fantastic intro movie… first two floors wow so much fun… after that it unfortunately goes straight to the dump :( Talk about quality decrease!

Good, I wasn't misremember it then. I saw the earlier "must get, classic!" remarks and thought I was remembering a different game. I remember the latter parts being very tedious and a horrible end.

Don't buy. It's not worth a dime. I don't mean dated looks and sounds, but everything inside that game simply stinks. It was probably Sierra's attempt to milk more money from BaK fans with dumbed down cheap crap. Sorry.

I've already bought that one... twice :p (One time in a collection that came with Birthright, Outpost 2, Rama & it, and another time in the BaK pack from GOG) Never really got into this one either, mainly due to the combat system.

Huh, I loved Betrayal at Krondor, and would recomend it to anyone. This is the first place I've heard people say nice things about Return to Krondor though, most fans of the original considered it a huge disapointment at the time, and it was rushed out the door in an unfinished state. But I do remember that it did have some good parts, especially early on so I guess your mileage may vary.

The first game in any given series that changes "too much" tends to become the series black sheep, so I suspect that that was what happened here as well.

I agree. Although I enjoyed more than just the first two floors, I quit about 2/3 of the way through.
So it is one of those "play until it starts to get boring but don't worry about actually beating it" kind of games?

Does someone play Gameforge games? Which one is the best?
I take it that you are talking about Geneforge? In that case, why not start with the first one? I've only played the first and second game in the series, but they were both really good.

Also, thanks everyone for your input. I went with Wizardry 6, and thus far I'm quite enjoying it. Its maps seem to be a bit more complex than those in Eye of the Beholder, which is making map-drawing a tad bit harder, but it seems like a game with a lot of potential.

I think the common understanding with all the Jeff Vogel games is that you should just play the latest and take it from there.

I mean Gameforge. It's game developer (Metin 2, Ikariam, Ogame) ;)

I mean Gameforge. It's game developer (Metin 2, Ikariam, Ogame) ;)

Confusing isn't it? For some reason RPG developers find it hard to resist putting the word "forge" in their titles. It is sort of like the RPG equivalent of calling yourself Smith; and the connection should be obvious.

"Gamesmith". Hm, sounds cool. :biggrin:

A Farewell to Dragons-'

A poor mans DragonAge that had promise. Be warned the ai is terrible. Based on a Russsian novel series. The books are better.

Borderzone-

Bought it for $5 not bad but nothing great. Graphics are like the original Gothic.

Dawn of Magic-

There are two titles in the series. Both games had promise but end up being boring click fest with no direction. The good part is your character changes his looks based on how you play.

Konung 2 & 3 (also, do you need to have played 1?)

Sorta like a lower budget fallout but set in a slavic/russsian stetting. You don't have to play them in order. If I remember there are four games now.

Planet Alcatraz-

Not bad but remember the translation is very terrible. I'm not kidding the Russians who translated it failed. You play as an imperial spy on a prison planet.

Spells of Gold-

A generic old fantasy rpg. You trade goods on different worlds and uncover a sinister plot. Not bad but nothing great.

Soulbringer-

Another Diablo clone enough said. Not bad but nothing revolutionary.

That's all I played can't help you with the rest.:)

Last edited:
I still fail to see any similarity with Diablo. Seriously.

I still fail to see any similarity with Diablo. Seriously.

Well to each there own. The game received lackluster reviews and was not a great seller for Interplay.

Would it make you feel better if I said it was a poor mans Baldur's Gate with some Diablo elements.;)

A poor man's Baldur's Gate with some Diablo elements sounds like my kind of game...

A poor man's Baldur's Gate with some Diablo elements sounds like my kind of game…

I wouldn't recommenced it, but you should try it yourself. You should know by now my taste differs from yours on some games already.:)

Back
Top Bottom