Did World War 2 screw society up?

Bigger studies than the one she mentions? That must be one huge study.
Anyway, what is wrong with the world is these two guys.

Bigger studies than the one she mentions? That must be one huge study.
Anyway, what is wrong with the world is these two guys.

Yeah, i think all the studies up till now had less than 100 homosexual couples in them and generally they arent broad enough to make any conclusions. Out of about 100k same sex families in the US. That said what i looked at in the larger study is severely flawed too(the Regenerus study).

http://www.usc.edu/uscnews/stories/6908.html
o Teenage boys raised by lesbians are more sexually restrained, less aggressive and more nurturing then boys raised in heterosexual families.
o Adolescent and young adult girls raised by lesbian mothers appear to be more sexually adventurous and less chaste. Sons of lesbians display the opposite – boys are choosier in their relationships and tend to have sex at a later age than boys raised by heterosexuals.
o It is more common for both lesbian moms to be employed, to earn similar incomes and to cut back on their hours of paid work in order to nurture young children. Some research indicates that egalitarian parenting contributes to child well-being, Stacey said.
o Same-sex couples proved better at managing disagreements and anger than did comparable heterosexual married couples. Research suggests that parental conflict may be one of the most significant sources of difficulty for children, Stacey said.

I guess it's worth mentioning that the crime rates in the USA are now lower than they have *ever* been. Mass murders still remain extremely rare.

Children with special needs are most certainly taken better care these days. If you think otherwise, then you have no idea how shitty it used to be for them. Not to mention that child labor, which often wasn't very different from slavery, was still very common in USA in the 20's, before it started to disappear in the 30's.

Yeah, housing prices are higher (It's called "inflation", check it out). People on average also have much more money, and can buy much better houses with much better facilities, than they could in the 30's.

But yeah, now women are allowed to go to work. The horror, the horror.

I guess it's worth mentioning that the crime rates in the USA are now lower than they have *ever* been. Mass murders still remain extremely rare.

True but mass murderers has increased 5 fold. I still think that is a troubling thing.

Children with special needs are most certainly taken better care these days. If you think otherwise, then you have no idea how shitty it used to be for them. Not to mention that child labor, which often wasn't very different from slavery, was still very common in USA in the 20's, before it started to disappear in the 30's.

You are correct. I think since 1993 the policing is stronger since it is much easier to catch criminals with dna evidence.

Yeah, housing prices are higher (It's called "inflation", check it out). People on average also have much more money, and can buy much better houses with much better facilities, than they could in the 30's.

I dont think its true that housing prices are just due to inflation. From 1954 to 1994 inflation was 443.49%. From 1914 to 1964 it was 169%.
http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Calculators/Cumulative_Inflation_Calculator.aspx

But yeah, now women are allowed to go to work. The horror, the horror.
I dont have a problem with the fact that women are allowed to work, just the fact that if a woman (or man for that matter) wanted to look after a problem child they cannot.

Everything happening today is what happens to every successful society, happened many times the rennaissance being the most obvious. Everything becomes more "free" and people become more entitled and work less and don't want to bother getting married or raising children, there's lots of immigration and urbanization, and eventually it all falls apart and only people like Cleveland Mark Blakemore make it through the detritus.

In World War 2 women had to work because the men had to go to war. After the war, women continued to work and men started working again. The outcome?:

1. Higher housing prices because households had more money.
2. No more stay at home moms.
3. Children with special needs dont have mothers looking after them.
4. Mass murderers are on the rise.

We are powerless to stop this.

Stay at home moms were still pretty common into the 80's. My mom was one (I was born in '75). Today it seems pretty rare though (my wife is chomping at the bit to go back to work despite only being a stay at home mom for 2 years).

I'm not sure there is a strong correlation between higher housing prices and double incomes. Maybe in some areas, but along with double incomes came a lot of other expenses that really offset the greater income:
1) child care
2) more eating out
3) second cars
4) increased clothes expenditures (need a business set of clothes for both spouses now)
etc.

Add in that we pay for things now that we didn't used (cable TV, cell phones, internet, etc.) and I'm not sure there is that much more left over to boost housing prices.

If anything housing prices have been more driven by the combination of:
1) demographics changes (in the US everyone moving from the rust belt and east coast to California, Texas and Florida)
2) Historically low interest rates on mortgages for nearly 20 years
3) Expansion of little to nothing down programs to making housing more accessible.

Cheap money has almost a 1 to 1 correlation with price increases (housing and otherwise).

True but mass murderers has increased 5 fold. I still think that is a troubling thing.

Where do you see that? As a percentage of the population, its still extremely low.

I wonder if crime such as this has actually increased tho or if the ability to report and track it has gotten better. Has it always been there and we just didn't know about the level of it in the past? How many people got away with it with no cameras, DNA or computers to track it all in the past?

There is no doubt that the ability to report it has gotten far better. If you look historically, there have always been a lot of these types of crimes, but they didn't have the ability to get plastered all over the news instantly coast to coast.

Take child abductions/killings. As the father of a 2yo girl, seeing them constantly on CNN makes me absolutely paranoid, but statistically, its no worse now than when my parents let me roam all over the neighborhood by myself 30 years ago.

There is no doubt that the ability to report it has gotten far better. If you look historically, there have always been a lot of these types of crimes, but they didn't have the ability to get plastered all over the news instantly coast to coast.

Take child abductions/killings. As the father of a 2yo girl, seeing them constantly on CNN makes me absolutely paranoid, but statistically, its no worse now than when my parents let me roam all over the neighborhood by myself 30 years ago.

Um, mass murderers are different to serial killers. If a person kills that many people at one time even in the past it would get reported… wouldnt it?

As for where i got the 5x number.

According to the 2010 FBI crime data, since 1980, single victim killings have dropped by more than 40 percent. While that's very good news, there's a new sobering trend: Mass murders are on the rise. This New York Times article researched the frequency of mass murders. It found during the 20th century there were about one to two mass murders per decade until 1980. Then for no apparent reason they spiked, with nine during the 1980s and 11 in the 1990s. Since the year 2000 there have been at least 26, including the massacre in Aurora, Colorado.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201207/mass-murders-are-the-rise

I thought i posted it before? I guess not.

Drunken Post incoming:

WW2 trimmed our society (the european at least).

The Ability for a nation to go to war is: a surplus of young males (ok, a lot of missing young males can be balanced out by adequate rich elder males^^).

WW2 was a giant meat grinder for young males (as was - to a lesser extant - WW1). In Combination with contraception it forced the european leaders to carefully think about going to war - at the risk to destroy the economic power of their nation. A few Air-Strikes at some Desert-Nation ? No Problem. Every european nation is able to do that. House-to-house-Fighting ? Now thats a different beast...

Um, mass murderers are different to serial killers. If a person kills that many people at one time even in the past it would get reported… wouldnt it?

As for where i got the 5x number.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201207/mass-murders-are-the-rise

I thought i posted it before? I guess not.

The problem is that the statistics aren't clear. It's it simply that there are more people and hence there are more mass murderers, or is it that the frequency really is increasing. And if it is, what is Ute cause.

It's definitely reported more though. In the past there would be a couple of news articles,,a couple of tv news segments, etc. Note it's 24/7 love coverage coming at you from Twitter, Facebook, CNN, tv, websites, email, etc.

The problem is that the statistics aren't clear. It's it simply that there are more people and hence there are more mass murderers, or is it that the frequency really is increasing. And if it is, what is Ute cause.

It's definitely reported more though. In the past there would be a couple of news articles,,a couple of tv news segments, etc. Note it's 24/7 love coverage coming at you from Twitter, Facebook, CNN, tv, websites, email, etc.

USA's population in 1980 has been 215 million and 2013 315 million. AND in the period comparing 1980's to 2000-2013 has been 10 fold not 5 fold like my previous assertion but that could be an anomaly.

AS for reporting, what relevance is that? As long as the crime has been recorded y the police that's what matters. Are you trying to say that mass murderers are seemingly glorified today? Interesting.

USA's population in 1980 has been 215 million and 2013 315 million. AND in the period comparing 1980's to 2000-2013 has been 10 fold not 5 fold like my previous assertion but that could be an anomaly.

AS for reporting, what relevance is that? As long as the crime has been recorded y the police that's what matters. Are you trying to say that mass murderers are seemingly glorified today? Interesting.

I'm saying that people are far more aware of it

That is true. But what relation does that have to do records kept by the police?

The point is that while the numbers may have increased, the perception is that they have increased astronomically, when they have not

Back
Top Bottom