The RPG Podcast - What Is The True Definition of a Role-Playing Game?

Definition of a crpg - nothing easier than that:

A crpg is a computer game in which a player

1) can control 1 or more characters
2) gets experience by questing (exploring and combat)
3) by getting more experience you can level up your characters (skills, talents,…)
4) you can interact with the world, NPCs, factions
5) you can equip your characters with items you find, loot, shop for
6) a story is told - your actions and choices have consequences

Definition of a crpg - nothing easier than that:

A crpg is a computer game in which a player

3) by getting more experience you can level up your characters (skills, talents,…)

So, you consider X-Com an RPG?

JA2 qualifies for most people, I'd say. I don't know if X-Com is considered to be an RPG by a lot of people though.

Personally, I think your definition is too exclusive - but that ties into my original point :)

What makes an RPG to me is the following. I did this quickly so I may be forgetting some stuff.

Advancement - Level advancement, skill advancement, feats, talents, any sort of character advancement system.

Loot - Inventory management. Lots of stuff to pick up, tinker with and ponder over.

Exploration - Some form of exploration. Hidden chests, hidden areas, things to see off the beaten path, etc.

Questing - Some form of questing system that sends you on various tasks.

I realize many games have these features, but the games that have all these features would be RPGs in my eyes.

I wouldn't consider Xcom an RPG. It has some advancement and loot mechanics, but there is no exploration. I would call it a strategy game with some RPG elements.

Far Cry 3 is an RPG, in my opinion.

Well xcom doesn't have NPCs to interact with, which is a significant roleplaying omission.

It does - as you interact with researchers and some of the people you rescue.

Limited interaction, sure, but interaction.

I don't remember any sort of interaction with any NPCs. Not sure what you are referring too.

You have a researcher that asks you what to research and tells you and shows you details about what you've researched. You also encounter NPCs on missions that talk to you and which you have to bring back to your ship.

Not remembering any sort of researcher, just a menu. Also don't remember any NPCs on missions. Are you referring to the original or remake? I am thinking of the original.

There are always borderline cases like Xcom, Nemesis: A Wizardry Adventure, System Shock 2.

But all games that fulfill

are crpgs.

mathematical:

1) … 6) => crpg

the reverse direction crpg => 1) … 6) doesn't apply always so we have no equivalence relation 1) … 6) <=> crpg

:)

Not remembering any sort of researcher, just a menu. Also don't remember any NPCs on missions. Are you referring to the original or remake? I am thinking of the original.

I'm referring to the recent version of X-Com, as I don't remember the details of the original very well.

Well said. Some of those properties can be strong enough in a game that it is still classified an RPG but only has a proper subset of all 6. Grimrock for example, really has no story with choice and consequences, yet few would be silly enough to claim it is not an RPG, namely because of its strong classic party building, inventory, and leveling systems.

Well that explains it. I wouldn't call the old XCOM an rpg, but it's VERY close to being one.

To me, both could qualify - but I don't think of them as RPGs.

In my own personal opinion - a "true" RPG needs to emphasize character creation/development as much - or more - than any other aspect of the game.

I would agree with that, and weight character building in this formula very high. I also think some sort of roleplaying choice and consequences should be weighted highly, but not enough on its own.

Back
Top Bottom