Sword Coast Legends - Extended E3 Press Demo

I am with Dart on this one. They are not showing anything. We still don't know if there will be subclasses which is a basic character class feature in 5e.

Dartagnan said:
Two months before release they're not ready to show a single thing about the systems and mechanics? Sure

The question is why? Do you think they haven't actually been making a D&D game? Also, don't forget games do get delayed.

Dartagnan said:
I want to see the character creation process, a character sheet, loot details and so on.

If you were following Diablo3 development you'd have noticed that they balanced all the monsters and items just two weeks before the game went gold. What type of things did Blizzard PR show us? They never gave us the raw damage numbers - only a general idea how a select few things worked. There was no character creation at all. The numbers are rebalanced all the time.

A games classes perks need to be set in relation to the monsters and everything else. This all sort of slowly comes together at the same time. One monster seems a little weak, give it a bit more STR. Oh, wait. Now the fighter class is getting killed too easily while the wizard is having too easy a time. Lets give fighter more HP to soak the extra damage from the STR while not having him kill the monster any faser. Obviously this is a made up scenario but you get the picture. I wouldn't expect hard class numbers pre-release at all. Just more boring storyline character crap.

SCL is 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons so you could pretty much start there if you really wanted to learn more about the mechanics. Become familiar with 5E, make comparisons to tabletop and sound like you know what you're talking about instead of sitting back complaining that they're not selling it to you well enough whilst having nothing to say that you'd want to hear yourself!

Archangel said:
I am with Dart on this one. They are not showing anything. We still don't know if there will be subclasses which is a basic character class feature in 5e.

Oh, damn! I'm not sure an RPG can still be good without subclasses!! :p What IS a subclass. What lines of text could you add to a mere item to add this same functionality to a PC? If a mechanic is good and lends to the game it can easily be incorporated into the game in another way.

The question is why? Do you think they haven't actually been making a D&D game? Also, don't forget games do get delayed.

Pool of Radiance 2 was a D&D game, so I guess this will be one as well - almost no matter what.

If you were following Diablo3 development you'd have noticed that they balanced all the monsters and items just two weeks before the game went gold. What type of things did Blizzard PR show us? They never gave us the raw damage numbers - only a general idea how a select few things worked. There was no character creation at all. The numbers are rebalanced all the time.

I'm not interested in raw damage numbers. If I was I'd have asked about them. I'm interested in details about the D&D implementation, and for that I'd need a character creation process, a character sheet - and other similar things.

I don't know what Blizzard has to do with any of this. I generally don't worry about Blizzard, as they tend to know what they're doing. They represent a proven developer.

That said, I would have worried a lot if I had been shown details of Diablo 3 mechanics this close to release - as they're not very good.

A games classes perks need to be set in relation to the monsters and everything else. This all sort of slowly comes together at the same time. One monster seems a little weak, give it a bit more STR. Oh, wait. Now the fighter class is getting killed too easily while the wizard is having too easy a time. Lets give fighter more HP to soak the extra damage from the STR while not having him kill the monster any faser. Obviously this is a made up scenario but you get the picture. I wouldn't expect hard class numbers pre-release at all. Just more boring storyline character crap.

None of that would tell me anything about the details of implementation. It's like you're not listening at all. I don't care about numbers - I care about how much of the D&D system I can expect to see in the game.

SCL is 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons so you could pretty much start there if you really wanted to learn more about the mechanics. Become familiar with 5E, make comparisons to tabletop and sound like you know what you're talking about instead of sitting back complaining that they're not selling it to you well enough whilst having nothing to say that you'd want to hear yourself!

I don't want to learn about 5th Edition mechanics, I want to learn about how SCL has implemented them.

It's not really rocket science.

I'm not complaining about anything. They don't owe me anything.

I'm observing what they're showing us, and I'm pointing out why there's cause for concern - if you care about the longer term. That's because I think having a rich and complex character system was key to the long term success of NWN. I don't think just making endless modules will be much fun, if I'm going to be playing a character that takes no investment - and I'll be bored very quickly with a simplistic system.

But that's just me.

That's because I haven't already decided to like everything about it, based on an irrational emotional investment.

Believe me, I want to get a new NWN more than anything. I absolutely loved NWN, and I still play it.

This, however, smells of something else.

It smells much more like the recent Neverwinter MMO in a local cooperative format. If you want to know how NOT to implement D&D, that's the game you want to check out.

Pool of Radiance 2 was a D&D game, so I guess this will be one as well - almost no matter what.
Ok, sure, D&D games can be poorly made.

Nspace deciding to start making their own games is one of the first things I commented on. They've been around 20 years and done work for countless big names. They have the director from DA:O. They all play 5E tabletop.

The fact I said then which I liked most was something like "they could have gone for a money making survival horror free2play zombie building game and not for such a niche demographic but they went with something they were passionate about and could enjoy making."

They have Wizards of the Coast on board too. Do you really think WOTC will let them butcher the game? I got the impression that everything was bounced off WOTC before it goes into the game.

I'm not interested in raw damage numbers. If I was I'd have asked about them. I'm interested in details about the D&D implementation, and for that I'd need a character creation process, a character sheet - and other similar things.
I'm super interested in character creation too. In NWN2 that was all I did because the campaign put me to sleep for some reason.

I can offer a couple of very vague and unreliable points I've picked up somewhere but can't remember….

♦Something about fighters choosing to become an arcane fighter class which gives them a mage spell to add significantly to attack rolls. Not sure what label this gets. Paragon path? Subclass? /shrug
♦ Something about races subraces, such as Drow, being chosen through background selection
I don't know what Blizzard has to do with any of this. I generally don't worry about Blizzard, as they tend to know what they're doing. They represent a proven developer.

That said, I would have worried a lot if I had been shown details of Diablo 3 mechanics this close to release - as they're not very good.
I just know its a recent game we both played from the biggest, richest developer around which launched in poor shape but eventually got to where it wanted to be though listening to the community and observing what people were doing. (and nerfing it.) Even NWN didn't get really good until all the expansions were out.

I don't want to learn about 5th Edition mechanics, I want to learn about how SCL has implemented them.
But how will you know if they're implemented correctly?
It's not really rocket science.
Yeah, but…. Forget it :p
I'm not complaining about anything. They don't owe me anything.
But you are though. You're in the complaints and doubts section acting jaded. The optimistic hope people can talk about things they hope make it. "wouldnt it be cool if this, imagine if that was in!"

I think you mean to say "I don't owe them anything"
I'm observing what they're showing us, and I'm pointing out why there's cause for concern - if you care about the longer term. That's because I think having a rich and complex character system was key to the long term success of NWN. I don't think just making endless modules will be much fun, if I'm going to be playing a character that takes no investment - and I'll be bored very quickly with a simplistic system.
If it doesn't have a good class system I'll be very surprised. Along with that "arcane fighter" (not correct name) point from before, we have the standard races. Human, Dwarf, Elf, Half-elf and something. Along with the standard classes Fighter, Mage, Cleric, Thief and also Ranger, Paladin. (ed: NOT "guardian fighter", "control mage", as with Neverwinter Online.)

Ability scores(STR,DEX) will be assigned with a point buy system. (saving throws are now made against your ability scores themselves, saving throw variables are not used. A little something to think about. Could spell the end of dump stats as it did in Pillars where my 14str fighter absolutely destroyed it and carried the whole party.)
That's because I haven't already decided to like everything about it, based on an irrational emotional investment.
You've decided you don't like everything about it based off an irrational emotional investment!! Say one thing that looks good about it, I dare you!

Believe me, I want to get a new NWN more than anything. I absolutely loved NWN, and I still play it.

This, however, smells of something else.

It smells much more like the recent Neverwinter MMO in a local cooperative format. If you want to know how NOT to implement D&D, that's the game you want to check out.

How can it ever be your new NWN if you won't let it be your new NWN?

It looks absolutely nothing like Neverwinter Online. Where did you get that from?

Last edited:
They have Wizards of the Coast on board too. Do you really think WOTC will let them butcher the game? I got the impression that everything was bounced off WOTC before it goes into the game.

Are you saying everything WotC has supported has been great, or?

You probably have a greater admiration for them as a company than I do. They were behind 4th Edition, no?

I just know its a recent game we both played from the biggest, richest developer around which launched in poor shape but eventually got to where it wanted to be though listening to the community and observing what people were doing. (and nerfing it.) Even NWN didn't get really good until all the expansions were out.

I don't think it ever got where it was very good in terms of mechanics, but it certainly improved along the way.

But how will you know if they're implemented correctly?

I don't really care. I care about an interesting and rich system. I don't fret about the details.

Yut you are though. You're in the complaints and doubts section acting jaded. The optimistic hope people can talk about things they hope make it. "wouldnt it be cool if this, imagine if that was in!"

I don't really know what you think you're doing here. Are you telling me I'm something I'm not - and perhaps you're hoping to convince me?

Do you know anything about me? ;)

I think you mean to say "I don't owe them anything"

I certainly don't, but that's not what I'm saying.

If it doesn't have a good class system I'll be very surprised. Along with that "arcane fighter" (not correct name) point from before, we have the standard races. Human, Dwarf, Elf, Half-elf and something. Along with the standard classes Fighter, Mage, Cleric, Thief and also Ranger, Paladin. (ed: NOT "guardian fighter", "control mage", as with Neverwinter Online.)

Of course you'll be surprised, as you've already decided it's a great game from people who're super enthusiastic about the whole thing.

You've decided you don't like everything about it based off an irrational emotional investment!! Say one thing that looks good about it, I dare you!

No, I haven't decided anything for sure. I'm reacting to what I'm seeing.

It's pretty simple. I love D&D and I love NWN.

If this game looked and sounded like a proper modern version of those things, I'd be as happy about it as you are.

But I'm cursed with the ability to stay neutral and objective - counter to what my heart wants.

That's obviously not a problem you suffer from. You're much like Fluent in that way ;)

How can it ever be your new NWN if you won't let it be your new NWN?

How can you avoid a strawman if you won't let it go?

It looks absolutely nothing like Neverwinter Online. Where did you get that from?

In terms of how shallow it seems at this point, coupled with how it releases without so many important classes.

Also, Neverwinter Online seems to be relying on the Foundry as some kind of major selling point.

I consider the Foundry an excellent demonstration of how a great and flexible editor can't escape the boundaries of the mechanics and systems involved.

Again, endless user created content can never really go beyond the gameplay arsenal in place.

Meaning, you really have to provide a sufficiently rich system if you expect your game to last for a long time like that.

Last edited:
The scientific and civilized facts-

The developers are focusing on the consoles. The game clearly has a console UI, and the developers admitted the game has a console UI and plays best with a controller.

The developers, thinking their audience are all console monkey-savages, retarded, or millennials (similar to being retarded but will hopeful be cured with time and responsibility) stated they were going to have a list for an inventory before they decided to develop for consoles. If this is true, just think about it.

Keep thinking.

Actually think, like you are a real person and capable of original thought.

Okay. What the fuck? What fucking kind of monkey-savage crpg is being developed for the pc and has a list for an inventory? Zork in 1982? I’ve seen a ton of fucking ASCII games that had a real GUI inventory and not a list. Can anyone think of a game that was developed for the pc that had a list for an inventory (and come out after 1987)? You cannot. Since science was invented no pc rpg has ever had a list for an inventory. The only plausible reasons for having a list for an inventory is you are releasing the game on the console because controllers are awful and can’t handle a real GUI inventory…………..or………………I don’t know. I’ve got nothing. There is no plausible or.

It would be less surprising to anyone of normal intelligence if they said that they decided to create a custom class called MamiNegroNappyHeadedSaggyTitsNaziFucker before the decided to develop for the console. That is also somehow more plausible too.

Here is the developer quote-
Originally posted by ForkliftKiller:
Hold on there, I'll address what I can here. No need to get crazy.

3. Console Influence. You know, I can't think of anything in the game that would appear to be made for consoles. The one main thing argued about is the inventory being a list vs a grid. What are you seeing besides this? Personally I like a grid inventory, but we opted for the list. Not that anybody believes us but we made that decision well outside of the decision to release on consoles. This game was built for PC's from the get go and designed as such. We really had no clue if there'd be a console version up until a bit before we announced the console version. What you may be seeing is the overall evolution of the genre started in the old IE games with some more modern amenities.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/325600/discussions/0/594821545174308461/

Evolution of the genre. That always makes me laugh to read that. A console UI and list for an inventory is an evolution of the genre. That really is hilarious. I like this guy. That really is funny. I think he may just be fucking with us and is a comic genius.

Okay, back on topic. We all know what games designed for consoles means. Stupid. Chock full o’ stupid. Mindless monkey gameplay for monkeys, helmet needers, children, savages, and the stupids.

In terms of how shallow it seems at this point, coupled with how it releases without so many important classes.

Sword Coast Legends devs have mentioned they limited the class/race scope because of their small team size. Also, when they started to work on the game they probably didn't even have the final list of classes/features (5th edition released one year ago, July 2014).

Out of 5e editions we have already seen things like
- martial archetype (Battlemaster Fighter, Necromancer Wizard, Assassin Rogue appear to be companions archetype, there was also a Cleric casting Chain Lighting in a video which is only possible if the Tempest Domain archetype is in). I doubt the player will be stuck with a Necromancer Wizard, so I expect more than one per class.
- racial traits, mentioned by both devs and journalists when talking about their hands-on character at E3.
- subraces, there are three dwarven companions, each one with its own subrace (someone must really like Dwarves at N-Space).
- DC for bashing, lockpicking, spotting hidden things
- Saving throws for traps/spells
- dual wielding along with various armor and weapon types
- the E3 trailer showed 5th edition appropriate AC, HP and weapon damage on top of it.

The only thing that we can wonder is if they put in the rule of switching an ability score increase for a feat at level up (only way to get a feat in 5e, note those feats have nothing in common with 3rd edition feats) and multiclassing (kinda redundant with some archetypes though).

The most none-5th edition feature is the cooldown, but that might just be their implementation of short/long rest.

Sword Coast Legends devs have mentioned they limited the class/race scope because of their small team size. Also, when they started to work on the game they probably didn't even have the final list of classes/features (5th edition released one year ago, July 2014).

Yeah, and that's very fair and understandable. Problem is that a true NWN successor doesn't really belong in the hands of a small team that's incapable of implementing these basics.

But we'll see.

Out of 5e editions we have already seen things like
- martial archetype (Battlemaster Fighter, Necromancer Wizard, Assassin Rogue appear to be companions archetype, there was also a Cleric casting Chain Lighting in a video which is only possible if the Tempest Domain archetype is in). I doubt the player will be stuck with a Necromancer Wizard, so I expect more than one per class.
- racial traits, mentioned by both devs and journalists when talking about their hands-on character at E3.
- subraces, there are three dwarven companions, each one with its own subrace (someone must really like Dwarves at N-Space).
- DC for bashing, lockpicking, spotting hidden things
- Saving throws for traps/spells
- dual wielding along with various armor and weapon types
- the E3 trailer showed 5th edition appropriate AC, HP and weapon damage on top of it.

That sounds pretty good.

How does 5E work when it comes to multiclassing?

The only thing that we can wonder is if they put in the rule of switching an ability score increase for a feat at level up (only way to get a feat in 5e, note those feats have nothing in common with 3rd edition feats) and multiclassing (kinda redundant with some archetypes though).

I can't agree about multiclassing being redundant with archetypes. Pretty much the best feature of 3 and 3.5 was the flexibility of the multiclass system. Anything less will feel like locking down class roles, which is not what I prefer.

The most none-5th edition feature is the cooldown, but that might just be their implementation of short/long rest.

I happen to despise cooldowns, so that's not good.

How does 5E work when it comes to multiclassing?
I can't agree about multiclassing being redundant with archetypes.

Multiclassing is somewhat similar to 3E (sprinkled with older editions):
- you gain class attribute increase per class level (because this is now a class feature, not overall progression like in 3E)
- spells per day is based on total spellcaster levels and not each classes independently. The table is shared, so a 5 level cleric/5 level wizard will use a single level 10 spell per day table.
- first class choice is dominant for proficiency (weapons, armor, abilities and skills), you will only get a subset for your subsequent classes choices.
- there are ability score prerequisites for classes (no alignment limitation though)

They haven't mentioned it, so I'm going to consider it out at this point.

As for the redundant comment, it's more that some of the archetypes are basically doing what multiclassing would do (of course pending them being in the game). For example, if you want a cleric/fighter you are probably better with the War Domain archetype which comes with all the cleric features plus extra attacks and heavy armor proficiency (which the fighter would provide).

Multiclassing is somewhat similar to 3E (sprinkled with older editions):
- you gain class attribute increase per class level (because this is now a class feature, not overall progression like in 3E)
- spells per day is based on total spellcaster levels and not each classes independently. The table is shared, so a 5 level cleric/5 level wizard will use a single level 10 spell per day table.
- first class choice is dominant for proficiency (weapons, armor, abilities and skills), you will only get a subset for your subsequent classes choices.
- there are ability score prerequisites for classes (no alignment limitation though)

They haven't mentioned it, so I'm going to consider it out at this point.

As for the redundant comment, it's more that some of the archetypes are basically doing what multiclassing would do (of course pending them being in the game). For example, if you want a cleric/fighter you are probably better with the War Domain archetype which comes with all the cleric features plus extra attacks and heavy armor proficiency (which the fighter would provide).

My point is that I hate having a predefined role, which is exactly why I don't enjoy archetypes. I've never created a multiclass character without feeling like I'm in control - and I like flexible builds.

So, it's a huge mistake to leave out multiclassing in my opinion.

I understand that other people enjoy having a specific purpose - and they enjoy just sticking with that.

I'm the opposite. I love experimenting and coming up with weird builds, and it's not necessarily about power.

For instance, I love thinking outside the box and doing something that's not traditionally part of a class role.

But we'll see about this game.

Actually think, like you are a real person and capable of original thought.

Okay. What the fuck? What fucking kind of monkey-savage crpg is being developed for the pc and has a list for an inventory? Zork in 1982? I’ve seen a ton of fucking ASCII games that had a real GUI inventory and not a list. Can anyone think of a game that was developed for the pc that had a list for an inventory (and come out after 1987)? You cannot.
Skyrim?

I bet you're one of those people who has their Explorer windows set to "Large Icons" where mine is set to "Details".

You can have a lot of information visible with a list so you don't have to mouseover everything to see its details.

If I was having trouble managing a massive directory of files I'm not going to switch to Icons, I'm going to sort by Name, Date, etc…(or load up xtree gold xD) Can do the same with weapons, scrolls, potions.

What kinda monkey console whatever can't work with a list? :p
Here is the developer quote-
Originally posted by ForkliftKiller:
Hold on there, I'll address what I can here. No need to get crazy.

3. Console Influence. You know, I can't think of anything in the game that would appear to be made for consoles. The one main thing argued about is the inventory being a list vs a grid. What are you seeing besides this? Personally I like a grid inventory, but we opted for the list. Not that anybody believes us but we made that decision well outside of the decision to release on consoles. This game was built for PC's from the get go and designed as such. We really had no clue if there'd be a console version up until a bit before we announced the console version. What you may be seeing is the overall evolution of the genre started in the old IE games with some more modern amenities.
You included a developer quote that goes against what you were saying?

PC first. It was always PC first because the whole deal was Digital Extremes great success self publishing Warframe on steam and them being their new publisher instead of taking the usual port work from industry giants.

Anyway, consoles are now using x86 CPUs and I have a controller for my PC so the lines are getting more blurred.
Okay, back on topic. We all know what games designed for consoles means. Stupid. Chock full o’ stupid. Mindless monkey gameplay for monkeys, helmet needers, children, savages, and the stupids.

Dude, pretty much every big game these days has a multiplatform release. Publishers just won't pick you up if you refuse to do console. PC only games are MMORPG, MOBA or from little indie devs. Everything has been a console game for years. Just be thankful everything isn't a moblie game. ;)

Great post, btw.

dartagnan said:
I happen to despise cooldowns, so that's not good.
Why?

You don't care to read the 5E rules because you want to see if their implementation works and yet you already despise it without even having to try it.

dartagnan said:
But I'm cursed with the ability to stay neutral and objective - counter to what my heart wants.
Doesn't sound very neutral and objective to me... But whats this about what your heart wants? Let your heart speak for a while, I want to hear what he has to say.

dartagnan said:
I don't really know what you think you're doing here. Are you telling me I'm something I'm not - and perhaps you're hoping to convince me?

Do you know anything about me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0

Skyrim?

I bet you're one of those people who has their Explorer windows set to "Large Icons" where mine is set to "Details".

You can have a lot of information visible with a list so you don't have to mouseover everything to see its details.

If I was having trouble managing a massive directory of files I'm not going to switch to Icons, I'm going to sort by Name, Date, etc…(or load up xtree gold xD) Can do the same with weapons, scrolls, potions.

What kinda monkey console whatever can't work with a list? :p

You included a developer quote that goes against what you were saying?

PC first. It was always PC first because the whole deal was Digital Extremes great success self publishing Warframe on steam and them being their new publisher instead of taking the usual port work from industry giants.

Anyway, consoles are now using x86 CPUs and I have a controller for my PC so the lines are getting more blurred.

Dude, pretty much every big game these days has a multiplatform release. Publishers just won't pick you up if you refuse to do console. PC only games are MMORPG, MOBA or from little indie devs. Everything has been a console game for years. Just be thankful everything isn't a moblie game. ;)

Are you fucking serious? How many crpgs have you played? You must be like 15, right? I played Daggerfall, the last Elder Scrolls game designed for the PC, when it was new. Skyrim was developed for the PC? You obviously have never played a real crpg with a crpg UI if you think what Skyrim had was developed for the PC.

I have no problem dealing with lists in life, since humans are born with intrinsic knowledge of such low tech, ancient archaic-savage-monkey nonsense. I can also pick up a stick, and say, “Uga Buga!” I could kill an animal and wrap its pelt around my loins. I could make a spear and throw it at people who come near my house. But I do not. Why, you ask? It is simple. I am civilized. There are very simple rules you adhere to as a civilized man of science and equality, such as keep out of other people’s orifices unless expressly invited to insert something into it, anyone who uses a controller on a pc is so uncivilized and deviant from normal, civilized thought the should be killed when found just like pedophiles. Killed by a public execution delivered by Adrian Barbobots with buzz saw hands and laser beam eyes that where built with science, the future, equaility, and space age polymers.

Being a man of science and civilization I have a reasonable expectation of PC rpgs having a PC rpg interface made with science and technology newer than fire and spears. That rules out lists. Even bowling, an ancient and stupid game, is too advanced to use lists to keep score. My kids made Christmas lists for Santa at three. I want my games to use technology that can’t be grasped and used by three year olds.

I don’t want to start my computer by rubbing two sticks together, I don’t want to light torches to have light after nightfall, when I watch TV I don’t want to see a chase film from 1907, and when I go to the store I don’t want to take a horse and buggy. Civilization. All are welcome, but leave your savage-monkey shit at the door.

No rpg game made for the PC ever had a list for an inventory since science was invented. That is a fact.

And that quote from the developer completely contradicts itself, which is why I posted it, because it is so insanely crazy. Either this game is being made by the stupidest monkey idiots ever who really think a list for an inventory instead of a real crpg GUI inventory is “an evolution of genre,” or they are devious, lying bastards who think all their potential customers are the fucking biggest morons alive.

You cannot evolve into a list. There is nothing more basic. There was nothing and then there was a list. Then a billion trillion gazillion eons later man invented technology and science and computers that could render pixels and polygons in such a way as to make lists only suitable for the fucking savage-monkey-window lickers. Licking windows in their helmets, shaking socks, making weird noises, using a controller.
Games designed for controllers are console games. Console game players are fucking idiots. They cannot handle thinking and complexity and a game with some richness and meat on its bones. That is why games made for consoles with PC ports, such as this game, strip all complexity out. Stats confuse the monkeys, a lot of equipment slots confuse the monkeys, a character progression system with choices, nevermind meaningful choices, confuse the monkeys. We want the monkeys all pumped up and hyped and throwing their shit at other monkeys and passersby with hype articles and previews.

Since you are only 15 there is still time for you to grow up and be a civilized adult who loves science, equality, space rockets, and civilization. You can do it! We are all cheering for you!

I hate waiting for no reason.

You don't care to read the 5E rules because you want to see if their implementation works and yet you already despise it without even having to try it.

Wrong. Let's try reading and not being emotional about it, shall we?

Doesn't sound very neutral and objective to me… But whats this about what your heart wants? Let your heart speak for a while, I want to hear what he has to say.

I just told you. My heart wants a true NWN successor, not a shallow or half-assed game. I'm hoping to be wrong about SCL, but at this point - I remain very sceptical.

That's what neutral and objective people tend to do.

My kids made Christmas lists for Santa at three. I want my games to use technology that can’t be grasped and used by three year olds.

Holy crap, you just took hyperbolic madness to the next level.

I think the main point was how primitive and simple lists are? This is an argument for their efficacy. Why would you want a complex and convoluted system rather than one so simple a three year old could use it?

@DArtagnan
RE:cooldowns
I hate waiting for no reason.
You really can't work out a reason to have a cooldown on a move?
I just told you. My heart wants a true NWN successor, not a shallow or half-assed game. I'm hoping to be wrong about SCL, but at this point - I remain very sceptical.

That's what neutral and objective people tend to do.

I like your "glass half full" perspective of your "glass half empty" stance on the matter.

Holy crap, you just took hyperbolic madness to the next level.

I think the main point was how primitive and simple lists are? This is an argument for their efficacy. Why would you want a complex and convoluted system rather than one so simple a three year old could use it?

If lists are so great for rpgs then why do only console rpgs use them? Because they suck and are stupid and there are much better choices, that’s why. Civilization.

Your use of efficacy actually proves my point; which I absolutely love. Efficacy is the ability to produce the desired result. The desired result of using a list in an rpg is so controller using monkey people can be stupid with less hassle than a real GUI inventory would cause them. Fuck the keyboard and mouse users, as well as science and civilization and equal rights for woman.

Unless the efficacy you are talking about is having an inventory without the hassle and expense of having a GUI civilized crpg inventory.

Or it could be by efficacy you mean drive civilized people fucking nuts with a console controller savage UI that requires me to hit 70 buttons to accomplish something I could have done in two seconds with a civilized real crpg GUI. When I want to change to the better pants I just got in a real crpg I hit the I key and right click the picture of the pants. We’ll use Fallout 3 as an example of the fucking efficacy you are talking about. I get new pants I want to put on. I hit the I key and it does nothing. What the fuck? Oh, yeah, I have to bring up my big watch and its one of the f keys and I can’t rebind it to civilized because fuck us PC gamers. Which f key? Who knows? Not me because there is no way or reason to memorize this because I need my brain for important scientific knowledge to advance civilization. I bring up the stupid shit, figure out what stupid list is for the inventory, and then the “right” inventory the pants will be in. Oh, no. There is 700 articles of stupid shit I have to scroll through to find the pants I want make the dot fill in and hope that means I am wearing the new pants. I forgot what my old ones where and looked like to see if whats on now looks different. Oh well, fuck it, doesn’t matter, it’s a console game, I could take my pants off and it would really make a difference. I guess I should check the map to check and see where I have to go next quickly since I have to quit soon because it took 10 minutes to change my pants. Hit the M key. Fuck. Jesus mother of Mary Christ All Mighty, what the fuck. I just want to look at the fucking map. And then I tip the monitor over and drag my balls all over it to show this game what happens to savages when they fuck with a civilized man of science.

In all cases you would be correct and I agree with you

But since you seemed to use the word efficacy as to mean something so simple and intuitive even a stupid-ass idiot three year old can grasp the concept and use it proficiently, I would agree with that statement.

Clicker Hero encapsulates your idea of rpg efficacy.

I also would apply your meaning of efficacy to what happens to rpgs that get designed for consoles. It is called consollitis. I like complexity, even when it is convoluted. I should say especially when it is convoluted. That is the defining characteristic of what makes a good rpg a good rpg in my opinion. All my favorite rpgs are convoluted. I think the illuminati or whoever is running this circus should impose their will on all game developers that every single rpg has to be more complex than necessary.

I honestly cannot think of a reason why someone would visit a site for rpg games, the poster child genre of convoluted. Do you know what an rpg is without convolution? Every other genre but rpg. To have a hit game you don’t need stats, you don’t need character progression or levels or experience or npcs or quests or equipment, equipment upgrades, interaction, roleplaying, character creation, etc. But the more rpg a game is or has in it, the more convoluted it is, and the better it is (for people who like games with a little richness and meat).

SPACE EXPLORATION! TECHNOLOGY! HAIRPIE! EQUALITY! COMPUTERS! THE FUTURE! CIVILIZATION! MARS ROVER! PLUTO IS NOT A PLANET! CONTROLLERS ARE FOR MONKEY SAVAGES! RAPE IS BAD! UNDERWEAR WITH TERRIFIC BALL SUPPORT! INVENTING GOOD THINGS! SCIENCE! SCIENCE! AND EVEN MORE SCIENCE WINNING!

If lists are so great for rpgs then why do only console rpgs use them? Because they suck and are stupid and there are much better choices, that’s why. Civilization.
Ok, so, lists suck?
Your use of efficacy actually proves my point; which I absolutely love. Efficacy is the ability to produce the desired result. The desired result of using a list in an rpg is so controller using monkey people can be stupid with less hassle than a real GUI inventory would cause them. Fuck the keyboard and mouse users, as well as science and civilization and equal rights for woman.
Aww, efficacy is more than just possibility its about doing the job well.

So these primitive monkey people have low intelligence and therefore require a simple way to achieve the same results that an intelligent person can achieve with this complex methods. One would assume the more intelligent species would have no trouble using the method designed for the monkey folk.
Or it could be by efficacy you mean drive civilized people fucking nuts with a console controller savage UI that requires me to hit 70 buttons to accomplish something I could have done in two seconds with a civilized real crpg GUI.
Wait a second, this UI sounds awfully complex with its 70 buttons. No one could expect monkey folk savages to remember 70 buttons. So where are we now? Are lists too simple or too complex?
In all cases you would be correct and I agree with you
errrrr...
But since you seemed to use the word efficacy as to mean something so simple and intuitive even a stupid-ass idiot three year old can grasp the concept and use it proficiently, I would agree with that statement.
Woah, slow down there, buddy, you're the one quoting an incorrect definition.
Clicker Hero encapsulates your idea of rpg efficacy.
So we're definitely back to simple again and that 70 buttons thing is in the trash.
I also would apply your meaning of efficacy to what happens to rpgs that get designed for consoles. It is called consollitis. I like complexity, even when it is convoluted. I should say especially when it is convoluted. That is the defining characteristic of what makes a good rpg a good rpg in my opinion. All my favorite rpgs are convoluted. I think the illuminati or whoever is running this circus should impose their will on all game developers that every single rpg has to be more complex than necessary.
You want deep systems you can think about but also don't want a huge learning barrier or shit control scheme to slog through to get to the deep systems. There's no point replacing the button to move forward from a single up-arrow to a convoluted combination of keystrokes. There is a point using an inventory system that works best for everyone. PC users can use the mouse and scroll with the mousewheel down a "single column grid" with the most pertinent information always onscreen.

Grid inventories can turn into a complete mess, too. If you've been questing and all your bags are full its a pain in the ass to sort through which are quest items and which are junk and crafting materials, etc, etc. You start to require these type of inventories to come with auto-sort features to make up for how bad they are to manage.
SPACE EXPLORATION! TECHNOLOGY! HAIRPIE! EQUALITY! COMPUTERS! THE FUTURE! CIVILIZATION! MARS ROVER! PLUTO IS NOT A PLANET! CONTROLLERS ARE FOR MONKEY SAVAGES! RAPE IS BAD! UNDERWEAR WITH TERRIFIC BALL SUPPORT! INVENTING GOOD THINGS! SCIENCE! SCIENCE! AND EVEN MORE SCIENCE WINNING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKIoEr2ZXD8

Ok, so, lists suck?

Aww, efficacy is more than just possibility its about doing the job well.

So these primitive monkey people have low intelligence and therefore require a simple way to achieve the same results that an intelligent person can achieve with this complex methods. One would assume the more intelligent species would have no trouble using the method designed for the monkey folk.

Wait a second, this UI sounds awfully complex with its 70 buttons. No one could expect monkey folk savages to remember 70 buttons. So where are we now? Are lists too simple or too complex?

errrrr…

Woah, slow down there, buddy, you're the one quoting an incorrect definition.

So we're definitely back to simple again and that 70 buttons thing is in the trash.

You want deep systems you can think about but also don't want a huge learning barrier or shit control scheme to slog through to get to the deep systems. There's no point replacing the button to move forward from a single up-arrow to a convoluted combination of keystrokes. There is a point using an inventory system that works best for everyone. PC users can use the mouse and scroll with the mousewheel down a "single column grid" with the most pertinent information always onscreen.

Grid inventories can turn into a complete mess, too. If you've been questing and all your bags are full its a pain in the ass to sort through which are quest items and which are junk and crafting materials, etc, etc. You start to require these type of inventories to come with auto-sort features to make up for how bad they are to manage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKIoEr2ZXD8

Efficacy is producing the desired result. Effectiveness. It has nothing to do with doing it well. That is what adverbs are for. There is no argument here. The word id defined. The definition wins. Period.

But, when it comes to lists, you do not need adverbs because of its basicness. If you have one item, and then add another item under it, not only is it doing its job. It is doing its job well.

A console UI with a list for an inventory does one thing well in a rpg video game – it makes the controller experience smoother. Lists are very effective at providing a smoother controller experience.

Lists for an inventory are shit for people using keyboard and mouse, the input devices of the PC.

You can spend all your time trying to look smart (while being incorrect every single time) without actually addressing anything competently, or you could actually try and explain why no rpg developed for the computer has lists for an inventory. Why do only console rpgs have lists for an inventory? And a good chunk of them even have a civilized GUI inventory. Why can’t a submit I report at work or college with lists as visual aids instead of graphs, charts, and other forms of more effective visual aids? Maybe lists, instead of charts and graphs are more effective for people who read brail, in which case brail is to graphs and charts what list UI is to controller users.

Until the time that you actually tell us why a list for an inventory is good for PC users who use keyboard and mouse , you can have fun being wrong in console fantasy land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjEqVlcgJyE

Back
Top Bottom