Titan Quest

I've kind of stalled out on my playthrough. Too much repetition in the scenery, enemies, combat, and inventory management for my tastes. I've been tag teaming my 2 characters above, and made it to the beginning of Crete with my Diviner build, ready to switch back and finish Athens with my Dreamkiller. TQVault is invoked to store and trade goodies between characters beyond the capacity of the shared stash...

What's kept folks interested in continuing to play?

Maybe I should just pick one character to play to the end for now.

sounds like youre burning the candle at both ends! Overkill, dude… I'd focus on one, then play something else after that for a while

I got all the way to china, then stalled because i wanted to play other games. The glorious thing about action-rpgs is that you can put them down at any time, then fire it back up months possibly even a year or longer and be able to jump back in and be playing in no time. You got your hotkeys 123456, keep moving forward killing things. Drink potion when needed. That isnt always the case w/ deeper, truer RPGs. Ive uninstalled em before because i stalled too long, and coming back 6 months later Ive just totally lost my stride, dont know whats going on, the feeling's gone, and there's no use going on even w/ 25 hours under my belt in the game.

Exactly. That's probably a good standard on how rpg-ish something really is. If I've left an rpg for more than a week or two, I usually start completely over because I can't remember the quests, plot mechanics and what I was going to do with my characters.

With an action rpg, it's not so much a story or a progression, but a process. You can pick them up again very quickly even after a long break.

My advice is to finish the game with at least one character, because that opens the door to the better loot, and adds new bosses and some farming interest. (Once you get into Immortal Throne, it will have it's own little in-game vault for item storage between characters.) The fun for me is working up builds and skillsets, plus gear tweaking, and when it gets tiresome I stop for months til I'm in the mood for mindless slaying again. :)

I'll go with my Dreamkiller exclusively to the end. She's definitely more interesting to play, but probably not as powerful. Thanks for the advice. :)

The problem of Titan quest is to have a lot too many fillers. Those are mainly the dungeons but few. But if outdoor area have a fair mapping, are very nice visually and have a good diversity (something haven't the dungeons), there's also fillers through fights and area tend to be a bit linear and the exploration not really interesting. The drop intensity also setup a feeling of repetition.

This let mainly the main story, the quests and the classes. Not sure why but for me the main story is mildly interesting, this antiquity setup is a good idea but it didn't work for me. The quests give rhythmic to the game but are rarely interesting. The classes are definitely intriguing and with a detailed and diversified design but they don't generate really good fights.

So the second problem of this action game is to not have an action enough interesting. Make a long pause for it didn't work well for me because if the main story isn't very interesting it's a bit frustrating to come back to the game and have lost most of the story. And make short session of it doesn't work at all because of the lack of save and the fights not enough interesting.

That's where, for me, Torchlight and Din's Curse are hugely better. For Torchlight the fights are just a lot better and for Din's Curse it's a whole, the action is a lot better. For both they are perfect to make short sessions, and there's no problem to stop play them some time and come back later. I could even quote a third similar game, Dungeon Lords, much better than Titan Quest.

I thought I could play through the expansion area over the weekend, but it was too much. My Dreamkiller only made it to Hades palace. Before that she was getting womped and 2 hit killed by demons. So she splurged and spent about 55 of her saved attribute points on strength and dexterity. Being able to wear just about the heaviest armor makes a HUGE difference! :)

This obsession with saving almost every single permutation of yellow or higher item to TQVault is the REAL obsession. YIKES! ;)

Back
Top Bottom