Another one may bit the dust. Or to buy or not to buy

P

pibbur

Fortunately my gadget from hell (aka cell phone) went to h...sorry...died peacefully the other day.

Yay!

Unfortunately the wife insists that I get another one.

!Yay

So. Maybe it's time. To take the next step. If I have to have one of those thingies, perhaps I should get one that is fun, gadgety, brightly colored. Even useful? Maybe I should get myself a smartphone.

And what would that be? (quoting Morrowind here, as I've started replaying it).

HTC?
Samsung?
iPhone?

I any of you have a device like that: Recommendations? (a bit more detailed than "Apple sucks", please). I won't *looking at GG* use it to play music.

If you don't have any specific needs any of the newer smartphones will work fine. Just be careful with the low end Androids.

All the "Brand XYZ sucks!" stuff is just, well, weird. I cannot figure out why people invest so much emotional baggage in a fricking phone that in 2 years they will probably throw away anyway.

Ask yourself, Pib: Are you REALLY in need of a smartphone - or do you just have a really uncomfortable fire in your pocket?

Not that such things shouldn't be dealt with - but if so, I suggest donating the money to the needy. Perhaps to some dog-shelter? I love dogs :)

As for smartphones - my opinion is that they're all superfluous crap, but they're also incredibly neat and serve as little cool gadgets with a ton of features you'll never need.

Personally, I can't deny they're amusing toys for a little while - and they do actually have some practical use (beyond the phone/texting/calendar/mail crap every other gadget can do) - but compared to actual needs or value, they're pretty imaginary. It seems to me it's something people tell themselves they need - and then start inventing reasons for it.

As for my actual experience, I can't deny that iPhones are very appealing in their design and functionality. I despise what Apple stands for, though, but then again - don't they all stand for the same thing?

So, of the few I've actually tried - I think an iPhone is the best choice. But I don't really follow the latest inventions :)

And what would that be? (quoting Morrowind here, as I've started replaying it).

HTC?
Samsung?

iPhone?

I any of you have a device like that: Recommendations? (a bit more detailed than "Apple sucks", please). I won't *looking at GG* use it to play music.

I am with DArtagnan here… money better given to charity…. but if you are not planning to do that……

Well, since you are from norway… I am going to assume you don't care about the cost at all. I would go for HTC Desire HD.

But since you are getting a smartphone…. well, why not use it for music… isn't it pointless to carry both your smartphone and ipod around? , if you think it doesn't have enough space even when you stream from spotify….. well that doesn't matter, you can put your music in dropbox or another such a service and also stream from there…. no need for your ipod anymore!

It also really depends what you're going to use it for…. a ZTE which is really cheap works perfectly well, for most tasks you'd ever want to do with your phone, such as navigating with the GPS, play movies, surf and such a things.

So, of the few I've actually tried - I think an iPhone is the best choice. But I don't really follow the latest inventions

O yeah, don't get an iFån ( iPhone ) you'll be locked into apples pockets, and even if you don't mind that ( since you got an ipod ) andorid 2.3 is just superior plus you get good apps for free instead of paying $1 for a stupid lamp or clock. Also you live in Norway… if the temprature is colder than 0 apple will claim you violated the guarantee and won't fix your phone. So to get an iFån is stupidity.

I used to think smartphones were superfluous, until I got one. :)

Being able to access the internet within seconds, regardless of your location, is a definite value by itself.

Of course it differs depending on the individual. If you're the type that is rarely away from home…then yeah you probably don't need one.

Internet is slow-ass unless you're on wi-fi :)

But I must admit I use my iPod primarily for the bed-surfing ;)

Am I really in need of a smartphone? Don't know yet. But since I'm buying a new cell phone anyhow, it seems sensible to take a look at these newish shiny ones.

I won't buy a smartphone unless I find the extra functionality useful. Coolness is not enough. But there are a couple of features I'd like in a handheld device, so I'm going to take a look at available software before I make up my mind.

As for music. I still want my whole 80 Gb music library with me, and there are still several things in there that's not available on Spotify. So the iPod stays. Besides, Dilbert is my idol. And Bugs Bunny.

EDIT: I don't plan on using it for surfing unless I'm on wi-fi.

EDIT 2: I do care about the cost. But screen size is also important - passing level 50 does things to your eyes. Maybe even the HTC HD screen is also too small, if so, no smartphone for me. Can the iPad be used as a cell phone?

Am I really in need of a smartphone? Don't know yet. But since I'm buying a new cell phone anyhow, it seems sensible to take a look at these newish shiny ones.

You're trying to seem sensible, but you know you have that burning pocket!

:p

I don't plan on using it for surfing unless I'm on wi-fi.

Well I can't speak for others, but mine is fairly fast. I have no idea what it's like in other countries though. I would think it's more dependant on the network than the device itself.

Well I can't speak for others, but mine is fairly fast. I have no idea what it's like in other countries though. I would think it's more dependant on the network than the device itself.

It's "3G" or whatever it's called. Not useless, but not something I find comfortable to use unless I'm in an area with great coverage.

Still, it's a neat thing to have - sort of like the Swiss knife of the 80s ;)

It's "3G" or whatever it's called. Not useless, but not something I find comfortable to use unless I'm in an area with great coverage.

Still, it's a neat thing to have - sort of like the Swiss knife of the 80s

Lol, that is because denmark is still a 100 years after in technology... with 4g we ge up to 100 mbits....... probably faster than most of you have at home :D

EDIT 2: I do care about the cost. But screen size is also important - passing level 50 does things to your eyes. Maybe even the HTC HD screen is also too small, if so, no smartphone for me. Can the iPad be used as a cell phone?

The iPad or galaxy tab or other touch-pads definitely suck as cellphones.... so.... in that case you're screwed.... no need to get a smartphone after all.... just get a nokia ordinary phone which can be used for... calling... the battery will last you a lifetime longer anyway........

Lol, that is because denmark is still a 100 years after in technology… with 4g we ge up to 100 mbits……. probably faster than most of you have at home :D

You have 100 mbit land-covering wireless networks?

That must be nice :)

I have a decent home connection though. It's shared, but effectively probably 40/40 or something like that.

Not sci-fi future swedish power - but it gets me where I need to go :)

The iPad or galaxy tab or other touch-pads definitely suck as cellphones…. so…. in that case you're screwed…. no need to get a smartphone after all…. just get a nokia ordinary phone which can be used for… calling… the battery will last you a lifetime longer anyway……..

That is the alternative. Either I find that a smartphone has for me (very) useful features/programs that I'm willing to pay for. Or I stay with a very simple Nokia like the one I had: No camera, no MMS and it'll only set me backi 350NOK, approximately 45.20EUR (who cares about the USD).

Depending on how much you can spent I would suggest either the Blackberry Torch or the iPhone. The iPhone is a bit too expensive but has everything you will need or not need.

What are the things you are looking for?

iPhone has an extensive library of apps while the Blackberry has less.
BB costs about 60% of iP and has most of the same basic functionality including a screen that's bigger than on the older BBs.

I see the iP as being more intuitive with hand movements and choosing what to do and clicking.
They both have GPS functionality, which I find extremely useful since I travel a lot, helped me find my way in Switzerland, Australia, UK, Germany.

If you are not going to use it as your music library, then I would say you should probably not even get any smartphone as the whole point is to have everything on one device. Before uni, I was carrying my old iPod, my phone, and a camera with me when I went to special places on holiday. This along with my house keys made my pockets very heavy.
First year of uni, I got a phone with a camera and so I didn't carry my camera with me anymore and it was the time when I used a camera the most in my life.

Now all I need to carry is my keys, wallet and phone, since my phone has almost everything on it. I wish I didn't have to carry my keys and that there was a code system at home.

I guess that the BB Torch is probably your best choice if you don't care much about music. It does have the capability for it, but with just 512MB inbuilt and 8GB included when you buy the device. It's a shiny toy and has a keyboard, so you don't have to get used to typing on the screen....
http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberrytorch/#!phone-specifications

If I didn't use my iPhone as an iPod and wasn't inclined to use the internet a lot, I would probably have gotten that one. But since I use the internet a lot, I like the iPhone.

The blackberries screen are a lot smaller than the Desire HD... but I guess it would fit pib bur quite well... blackberry people are considered stone age people :D

That is the alternative. Either I find that a smartphone has for me (very) useful features/programs that I'm willing to pay for. Or I stay with a very simple Nokia like the one I had: No camera, no MMS and it'll only set me backi 350NOK, approximately 45.20EUR (who cares about the USD).

Well, the problem is you still haven't told us what it is you want to use it for? aside from communicating with your wife......

The blackberries screen are a lot smaller than the Desire HD… but I guess it would fit pib bur quite well… blackberry people are considered stone age people :D

You haven't seen the Torch, I presume... The screen is much bigger compared to their old models.

Well, the problem is you still haven't told us what it is you want to use it for? aside from communicating with your wife……

Bump this ...

I really like my iPhone, but TBH I have never really compared it to other smartphones on the market (since I got it as a birthday present). If you like gadgets, its a dream come true. Probably (almost) nobody REALLY needs it, but it has many uses. I use it both for work (mail, agenda, task manager, contacts) and leisure (surfing, games, music). One of the best features is the GPS capability, along with the various apps that use it (maps, tracking, navigation).

One cool app which I won't buy: Morphwiz, a virtual instrument available for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. Dream theater keyboard player Jordan Rudess has been involved in developing the thing. Here's Rudess and John Petrucci, also from Dream Theater playing together.

Back
Top Bottom