The Hobbit Movie - Being Done By Jackson

Huh? He said,
meaning that is what he has encountered in his own experiences, I wasn't aware he needed a poll to justify that.

Oh, so you say now that you can post sth like this: Most people think Jews are the scum of the earth. A rather dangerous assumption is it to not having to justify your own experiences.

What's all this squabbling about? Get a grip, people.

Did he a poll for it? Nope, so I can hardly accept this statement as a fact.

Heh, heh...pure speculation on my part. My "most people" statement was a glanced at, quick poll without even counting, scan through the posts previous to my own. Whether or not it's accurate, scientific, or even sane, I make no claim.

Heh, heh...pure speculation on my part. My "most people" statement was a glanced at, quick poll without even counting, scan through the posts previous to my own. Whether or not it's accurate, scientific, or even sane, I make no claim.

Indeed, and that was what I liked to point out to JDR13. That 'most' statement isn't a without any doubt accurate one, more of a 'I think it's an accurate' one. The reason why I gave the example with Jews and racism is that this was imo an example of how fast an assumption can get it's own live.

You mean this one?

I don't believe Art Garfunkel had anything to do with it though.

No. I guess I'm thinking of this one. But you're right about it not being Art. I think I got it confused with "Bright Eyes" from Watership Down, which is Art, and is really syrupy and is another low point in one of my favorite animated movies. :S

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Ralph Bakshi classic

The Ralph Bakshi film was a daring attempt to do something different, and using a great story for that. I respect Bakshi's film.

I guess I don't care for Jackson's films for the same reason. They're a gutless copy from the book, with predictable and mediocre cinematography and no vision at all. Great for the fans of Lord of the Rings, but as a film it is a failure, just another easily forgot blockbuster in a time when so many are being pushed out.

It's funny because some people here are criticizing the film for where it broke with the books, but I think that's only noticeable because it clearly attempts to stick to the books. Because it tries and fails it becomes a flaw, if it never tried it would've never been able to fail, and it would have been a grander film for it, even if none of the Lord of the Rings fans would've been happy (I would have, though I'm a fan of the books, I think it's an asinine attempt to try and translate the same strengths books have into films, it's disrespectful towards both media involved)

Watership Down is the same but different. A great book (my favourite of all time) translated into film with little changed, yet Watership Down clearly has its "ownness" enough to be distinct of the book, and to be a great film.

LotR? Meh, take it or leave it. They're a translation, they're not art.

It's funny because some people here are criticizing the film for where it broke with the books, but I think that's only noticeable because it clearly attempts to stick to the books.

Personally, I only criticized the films for specific breaks because they meant a lot to me, i.e. Faramir. I'm not criticizing the films overall for the breaks, but for the tone of the films and where it broke with the spirit and lore of the books.

It's probably hard for me coming at the films "new", since I've read them through many times before Jackson's movies. My own feeling and the feeling I get from others that have come to LotR by way of the films, is that they were "cool", but did not give any sense of the story and the mythology. The breaks with the books were all the more glaring to me since they were like an extra prod to remind me that Jackson could care less about the story Tolkien was trying to tell.

I approached the movies knowing that it was going to be an interpretation and that there would be breaks with the books, so I'm not a "fan boy" in my criticism of the films. After watching all three, I came away more with the feeling that Aragorn was the super hero, Gandalf the wise and all knowing sage, Gimli a buffoon, Merry and Pippin even bigger morons, and Frodo was a whiny weakling. I did not get the sense of the overall accomplishment of ALL the characters towards the defeat of Sauron, nor all the sacrifices they made.

I agree Eliaures, it's ridiculous to criticize the movies for sticking to the books when they really didn't stick to them anywhere near 100% anyways.

I mean how much can you change before it starts to become something else entirely?

I liked the Lotr movies a lot. but I have to admit, the extened versions are way better than the cut versions.
I have never read the books yet, but will do it sometimes, so i can't judge about that.
Have to read the hobbit, after my girlfriend is done with it, but i believe it will be a good movie just like lotr was too me. Lotr was much better than the last 3 star wars movies to me (the old ones were better)

Episode 1 was bad, Episode 2 was almost unwatchable, and Episode 3 was OK. None of them came within sniffing distance of Eps. IV-VI. Lucas shouldn't have been so egomaniacal (I know, I know, a silly thing to say) as to think he should do all/most of the writing for the prequels. The best written of them all was clearly Episode V. He should have asked those guys to work with him on I-III.

No. I guess I'm thinking of this one. But you're right about it not being Art. I think I got it confused with "Bright Eyes" from Watership Down, which is Art, and is really syrupy and is another low point in one of my favorite animated movies. :S

Oh yeah, the original Hobbit animated movie, I remember it fondly.

Say, do you ever watch South Park? They had an episode a while back that spoofed the Hobbit and it's title song, it was absolutely hilarious!
Check it out-
Lemmiwinks

Back
Top Bottom