Skyrim - Day 1 Patch, Werewolves, More

Every major release has these 0-day patches, more or less. Means nothing to me.

We all know that PC games don't work 100% until months after release. If they do, it's a miracle.

I don't remember any problems with The Witcher 2 which I played right after the release. Was there a day 0 patch as well?

I don't remember any problems with The Witcher 2 which I played right after the release. Was there a day 0 patch as well?

Yes, there was some patch very soon after release that required everyone to re-download a very large 9GB file. This patched removed some DRM and fixed some issues people were experiencing.

Yes, there was some patch very soon after release that required everyone to re-download a very large 9GB file. This patched removed some DRM and fixed some issues people were experiencing.

The infamous steam patch that made you re-download the game. I was glad I purchased the gog version.

Lots of people apparently had trouble with it, and I certainly downloaded a patch after installing it for the first time.

Not sure if it was exactly a 0-day patch, but it was effectively the same thing.

Lucky!

It happened again twice more I believe.

I remember steam saying its there patching system that was the cause but its been fixed now.

And those are indeed examples of what happens these days...
I'm glad too to have bought the Gog version of The Witcher 2.

I had the retail version and never had to download a 9gb file. There was an activation type patch but it was pretty small.

Speaking of Steam, what the hell is up with them? Their forums have been down for two straight days. Did they get hacked or something?

Speaking of Steam, what the hell is up with them? Their forums have been down for two straight days. Did they get hacked or something?

That is the report ... haven't even looked.

They're busy counting money as we speak.

Haha. Probably installing bigger counters to count all that money

Before the internet became commonly used you had to call up their BBSes and download patches that way. I seem to remember using Fidonet to grab some as well. Some magazines came with disks with patches, too.

This.

I would buy magazines with CD's of patches in the late 80's early 90's.

At least with The Witcher 2 they put the patches up as stand alone downloads so you don't HAVE to update through steam every time. You can just download the patches once and save them somewhere so you don't have to download it all again if you need to uninstall/reinstall later. You know, so it's like you actually own the game or something silly like that.

Hopefully Bethesda will do this too with Skyrim. RAGE didn't though...have to update it through steam every time.

My sister and familiy decided to visit this weekend. How am I gonna play Skyrim?

You can go a couple of days without sleep before hallucinations usually set in. They'll likely just be auditory at first - such as hearing phantom music. Basically play when they're sleeping and stop when you still hear the game music playing even when its not running. Having a prescription for ADD medication would of course be convenient but energy drinks will suffice if you do not have an extremely high caffeine tolerance.

Be sure to stop and sleep though if the auditory hallucinations become visual. Seeing phantom movement or rippling would be a definite sign to get some sleep. Double majoring in nuclear engineering and physics has given me some experience as far as consecutive all-nighters go.

Back
Top Bottom