Huniepop

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Okay, I've got to admit to a guilty pleasure. Huniepop is a dating sim/puzzle/very light rpg. I wouldn't consider it a true rpg but I picked it up on a whim from Steam, where it was listed as a puzzle/rpg game.

You play the role of a guy that is clueless when it comes to females. You hit on this chick in a bar and fail dismally and it turns out she's a love fairy :) She then proceeds to take over your dating life and schedules you to meet girls. You earn hunie points (which is basically likeability) by talking to girls and getting to know their likes and dislikes. Those hunie points can then be used to upgrade your love traits (passion, romance, sexuality, flirtation, etc). Different girls like different traits. Then you basically play a session of bejeweled where all of the traits are on the board. You get more points for matching the trait the girl likes best and less points or negative points on the traits she dislikes. There is a timer and you can't be idle or you'll run out of affection. You have a limited number of moves too, so making the best choices on the board becomes quite necessary as each date is harder than the last. You can buy food, drinks, gifts, and unique items for each girl and they will sometimes give you gifts in return.

The idea of the game is to date the girls enough so that they'll sleep with you. The game is written to be played by a straight male or a gay/bi female. The dialogs change somewhat depending on which gender you play.

As a 50 year old married male, I was surprised by how much fun I am having with this silly little game. I picked the girl I wanted after seeing all the choices and then tailored my character to win her over. I would date other girls just to have enough hunie to buy the things I needed to woo the one. I ended up sleeping with one of the girls I was just "using" first. I just happened to get a mega score on one of our dates and got my just reward :)

BTW, this is also a memory game, if you don't cheat. Each girl will ask you questions about the things you've talked about in the past. If you don't remember, you don't gain any hunie and lose an opportunity. Questions take time and the girls get hungry and so you have to buy them food to keep talking. Food just costs money, not hunie, and you earn money during the puzzle games.

Just one little side note: My wife is better at bejeweled than I am and I had her play the games for me a couple of times. She absolutely kills my best scores, so I may need her help in the latter parts of the game. I'll be using my real life wife to seduce fake girls. Yes, there is something wrong with that :biggrin:

This game was allowed on steam ? I guess they are starting to relax in what they allow....

Yes, but it is censored to a certain degree. There are money shots after sleeping with the girls with full gratuitous nudity. Those are edited in the steam version. The devs actually wrote a patch file that overwrites the censoring and Steam supposedly doesn't block the patch…yet.

I'd love to know what Aubrielle thinks of the game. Did they truly write the girl players differently? I'm pretty sure a bi/gay female and a straight male are two totally different sexual beings :D There is a scene in the game where two girls are in the process of hooking up but get interrupted. I have no idea if the way it is written is in any way realistic or not, etc. I could play as female, but I'm still not going to know if the game is really written well for girls....

Good Lord, man! Have a stiff drink and play some Dark Souls immediately!

:biggrin:

Nah, I'm comfortable with my sexuality. The game isn't really erotic. You're way too busy trying to complete the puzzle grid, so your dominant hand is busy :D

Damn those puzzle grids! :p

Dating sim?
crpgnut... You're playing dating sim?

Next crpgnut's thread: The world of VN games.

:D

What is VN? Is that what huniepop is considered? I don't know some of the newer terms. For instance people use NL;DR or something like that, I have no idea what that means. The younger folks here use loading…. what is that supposed to mean? I know I could look it up, but I haven't been bothered to yet :p

Loading… is a nightmare term for me. Back in the C64 days that was what you got to look at for 10 minutes while your game loaded itself into 64k of ram. You'd load a 5 1/4" disk take 4 steps, realize you forgot to by torches, turn around and have to wait 10 more minutes for the previous screen to load back into memory!

Do you mean TL;DR?

If so, that means "Too Long; Didn't Read" Usually posted after some posts a massive wall of text in a forum.

Sometimes someone will ask for the TL;DR version of post, meaning an abbreviated version.

Oh, and on topic:

Careful with this. It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know you're pulling all night hentai binges. :lol:

Do you mean TL;DR?

If so, that means "Too Long; Didn't Read" Usually posted after some posts a massive wall of text in a forum.

Sometimes someone will ask for the TL;DR version of post, meaning an abbreviated version.

Aha! This is it. I couldn't remember what the letters were. I bet most of my posts get the TL;DR treatment from most :D

Ah! Back in my day there was a magazine called Heavy Metal. I think Hentai may have derived from that magazine or vice-versa. Maybe Heavy Metal was the English equivalent of hentai comics; or at least manga/anime.

Come to think of it, I went from Mad Magazine to Cracked and National Lampoon. From those to Heavy Metal and Playboy but somewhere in there real girls started replacing fantasy. Now that I've been married for decades, perhaps I'm regressing :D

Back
Top Bottom