I Shall Remain - Zombie RPG in Production

I like what I see, but have a few more questions.

Are you going for more of a Project Zomboid, Dead State, Rogue Survivor, Zombie Shooter or Fort Zombie vibe? (Yes, I play A LOT of zombie games. I didn't mention Zombie Driver because you don't have cars :p)

Please have a fort/base of some kind that I can upgrade and have some place to store weapons, rest , ect… Like in Fort Zombie or Dead State. If I'm just running around killing things I might as well play Zombie Shooter ;), but it seems your going for more than that.

In Project Zomboid you have no base, you have tons of craftable material, have to board up homes when sleeping, a seriously realistic damage system (very tough) and there is no end to the game except when you die. I don't care for the "no end" part, but the rest is ok with the exception of making a base, but that is circumvented by the fact that I can make my own base in any house. Board it up and it becomes an instant base. If I want to store equipment there I can if I want. Not sure if I prefer this to an actual base with a "safe zone", but so far it's ok. I would prefer more of a story and definitely more NPCs to interact with, but it's not that bad. Without a goal to works toward I find myself not playing it that much. I don't care about how long I survived. I want a freaking goal to work towards.

Dead State is the pinnacle of zombie RPG, imo. Only problem is that it's not out yet. From what they say it'll have a huge survival story with many branches in it, you have a base you need to upgrade in a lot of ways, it needs resources to work properly, NPCs you can recruit and who may cause problems or help out in certain ways, other human "gangs" who you can negotiate with or go to war with. Basically Dead State is The Walking Dead made into a video game and I'm dying to get my hands on it.

Zombie Shooter is a straight shooter with missions and what not. Basically it's Gauntlet with zombies. Not that interested in it although I own both of them. They're just fun for some arcade action every now and then.

Fort Zombie is a lot of fun and is very heavy on the RPG aspect of the game. You build up your fort while rescuing people around the town. The RPG mechanics cover almost everything from lockpicking to guns.

Zombie driver is just fun. If you enjoy zombie games and cars then it's an instant buy :)

I'm hoping this will be more like Dead State than Project Zombie and especially Zombie Shooter, but PZ isn't that bad of a game either. Just put in a goal. It doesn't have to be saving the freaking world again, but something for my character to strive to. The easiest idea is the base. Upgrading a base gives me some kind of goal. Rescuing NPCs is another one.

This is looking good and the fact that you're here and on RPGCodex tells me that you are really interested in making this a RPG type of zombie game. I hope you'll think about adding more to the RPG aspect to the game. Survival in a good rpg game is not just about how good you are at killing things. That's part of it and most companies only focus on that aspect, but there is so much more they could try. Either way I'll probably buy this thing when you release it. It looks like a bit of fun.

Just don't make it multiplayer. Please for the love of everything that is unholy don't do that. I've seen a few of these online zombie games and I'm not impressed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I can't really say I saw something able to catch my interest and make me anticipate the game.

you got Fort Zombie to work, Skaven?
I was originally really excited about that one. Unfortunately when i played, it was so laggy and nigh unplayable from a technical standpoint, and the control system was total crap just moving around was a chore. I gave it a shot, but scrapped it after 2 different installs. Looks like there's a good concept beneath it, unfortunately the mountain of shit in the way just wasnt worth digging thru.

Im gonna play Zomboid eventually, I just want them to get done w/ it first. Not interested in half baked demos and alphas anymore.

I bought it after it was all patched up. The early reports were too god awful to even give it a second glance, but then I started hearing rumblings about how it was fixed and a decent game. So I bought it.

It's one tough game. If you go in guns blazing you are dead before you can say, "Brraaaaaiiiinnnnssss" I never encountered any lagging. The graphics are ok, but then as usual you really can't take my word on that. I still think Ultima V's graphics rock. I was pleasantly surprised by how much of an RPG this game really is. I was expecting something along the lines of another zombie shooter with a base thrown in, but you can't tackle the game like that at all or you'll end up as zombie chow.

The controls are still a bit wonky, but ok. Nothing in terms of bugs with the controls as far as I can tell. It's just a little hard to aim for the head at times. The only really annoying thing about his game was how long it took to search for something. When you're new to the game and don't know all the "goody" spots you'll be searching everywhere for resources. That takes forever, but after a few games you start to get a feel for where the random resources are like in certain areas in certain buildings or jeeps. Stuff like that.

It's not a great game, but if you own it already then update it and give it another shot……actually give it a couple of shots because you will die and die a lot in the beginning until you start to get used to the feel of the game. Also you have to choose the police station when starting out. I really didn't like choosing the "easy" difficulty which is the police station, but to get a handle on how to make your fort, how to take out the zombies, getting a shotgun right off the bat and where to search for good resources then you need that station. Later on if you like the game enough switch to the school or if you're nuts, the jail.

Another thing is if you find a certain NPC the game gets really easy……well easier. It's never "really easy". So when selecting missions always try to include at least one "find the NPC" if you can.

It's a good first attempt and I hope they make another, but as for how good this game is all I can say is that it's an acquired taste. :)

Edit: Almost forgot to add to make sure your speed is decent. The same as the police officer should do (don't remember the exact number). I always chose the police officer profession so my guys speed is faster than the jogger zombie. Any slower and the jogger is faster than you which is really really really annoying.

I remember looking at this one a long time ago. Not sure what made me decide against it (probably bug complaints.) Forgot about it ever since.

Hmm, you just may have talked me into trying this one out, Skaven. Hell, as long as it isn't a bug fest, $10 for a game heavy on the RPG elements (yes, I dig games where my gunfire is affected more by my stats than my reflexes) and a customizable fort to defend against the zombie apocalypse (yes, we all know it's coming), how wrong can I go?

*cue zombie shambling around a corner behind me while I'm speaking*

You'll get a kick out of the doctor zombies. I know I did when I first saw what they could do :p

It's a tough game and expect to die while you're learning the ropes. Don't get cocky and try to take on a mob. Draw them out one by one or shoot, run away and then shoot again or just run away from them.

One bit of advice I can offer to help you stay alive is to RUN!!! and keep in mind that the zombies have to have a direct line of sight with you. If you're running out of stamina from running then go behind a wall or turn the corner so they have no direct los on your character. That saved me a few times…..also killed me a few times too because when I turned the corner I ran into MORE ZOMBIES.

Reload for certain guns takes a long time. Make sure you carry a couple of guns with you fully loaded and search that police station thoroughly until you find that shotgun. You'll need it in the beginning.

Like I said, it's a good game, but it's an acquired taste for sure. :)

Fired up Fort Zombie again last night, and yeah the most recent version does indeed work a lot better. Seems stabilized. Then i died horribly, thankfully taking at least one of the fetid scum down w/ me.

Thanks for the heads up, Skaven bro

No prob, Keeper Sammy.

Enjoy bashing the zombies in and take out one of those freaken doctor zombies for me. I hate those guys.

Not far into it, but Fort Zombie seems pretty decent, though I don't like the controls much. Made my guy a melee construction worker.

Took over the cop shop, but I couldn't find the damn shotgun to save my life, just a revolver. Hope I don't need it too badly later. :p

Wish I had just bought this instead of Dead Island. :p

Thanks, Skaven.

Hey now! Dead Isalnd is an awesome game. You just can't expect too much RPG from it and you'll have a blast……IF you like action games ;)

Glad you are liking this game as well. I was lucky enough to forget all about it when the reviews for it were so horrible, but then I was reading on some zombie forum (I think Dead State) where they have fixed a lot of the issues that troubled it when it was launched.

Experiment when making traps and barricades. I almost guarantee that you will die on your first "zombie rush" on your base. However, you will learn what barricades and traps worked the best and adjust your strategy for next time.

The shotgun's location:
on the first floor in the closet with a weapons rack on the wall. There are no weapons in that rack when you look at it, but get as close to it as possible and search. It is there every time.

There is another annoying thing about this game that I forgot to mention. Places that you need to search hardly ever "show" anything on the screen. What I mean is that if you go to a counter and see nothing in it, that doesn't mean anything. Do a search and it might have something in it.

It'll take a while for you to figure out what places can be searched. Take some "find the food/resources" missions to get a better idea of where stuff is stored in the game.

Oh and stay away from the "church" It's nasty in there :p

One last thing about the shotgun. It's loud which draws any zombies from around the area. However, it is also very powerful. I keep that gun for when the zombies start to swarm and then blast away with abandonment. Well, reserved abandonment because I don't want to waste all my shells.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. very helpful, considering the manual and tutorial aren't terribly in-depth, although I was encouraged to read the section about how skill checks are calculated.

Nice to see some real stats. At least they look they might actually mean something. Hope they do. It's a cool concept and makes me want to play Dead State even more. Did anyone over on those forums mention when it's being released? :p

I swear I looked in that closet with the gun racks. Maybe I wasn't close enough...

When searching let the yellow circle keep expanding until either it stops or something flashes on the screen. Dang thing is so slow though. Would have been better if we were able to just hit "s" and it did a quick search. Anything that distracts from the game like that should have been ripped out of the game.

Say hello to my little friend

picture.php

His name is Bubbles. He enjoys long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners and ripping the arms off of anyone who tries to put me back in a cage. :evilgrin:

Back
Top Bottom