BioWare - No "Shepard 2" for Mass Effect 4

And all of that military science fiction can trace its roots back to Robert A. Heinlein's novel Starship Troopers (the book, not the laughable movie).

Glad to hear the book is better than the movie, which I turned off after 10 minutes. I think the movie is part of the reason I've never read the book, despite hearing good things about Heinlein. That and I'm not a huge fan of his titles. Think they're kind of cheesy. But not too long ago, I broke down and finally read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which wasn't cheesy but quite good. Maybe I'll try Starship Troopers too.

Continuing my random stream of consciousness, which steered me toward science-fiction novels recently,The Road by Cormac McCarthy, which is more of a post-apocalyptic story than sci fi, is also quite good. On the Road by Jack Kerouac is not at all sci fi but still recomended. :p

Sorry for the tangent. I don't like Mass Effect at all, even the first one. I think Bioware is cheesy. :p

The Starship Troopers book is its just very different from the movie. Besides that, it is still entertaining, although some people do not seem to get that kind of humor. Of course some people cant like both, simply because what is glorified in the book is ridiculed in the movie.

Oh, but the sequels. Those are really bad, no questions asked.

Anyways, back to the ME franchise: Of course its a rip off (most things are, as pointed out by others already), but its well done and does "feel good". Its a very well done setup. Since they ruined the story line of shepard, I hope they do not do a some kind of a prequel (even without shepard). I doubt I'll be interested in this game anyways.

(By the way, since people were listing SF franchises: dont forget Schleichfahrt / Archimedean Dynasty / Aquanox.)

And all of that military science fiction can trace its roots back to Robert A. Heinlein's novel Starship Troopers (the book, not the laughable movie). With its jingoistic military dictatorship for a human government, its power-armored Mobile Infantry (the inspiration for Space Marines everywhere), its monstrous unstoppable bug-like aliens, and so on. You can easily read Starship Troopers and picture imagery from 40k or Starcraft.

As stated already, nothing is new these days. There is still a difference between inspired by and ripped off, especially when you trade in IP, which is the topic at hand.

The Starship Troopers book is its just very different from the movie. Besides that, it is still entertaining, although some people do not seem to get that kind of humor. Of course some people cant like both, simply because what is glorified in the book is ridiculed in the movie.

Oh, but the sequels. Those are really bad, no questions asked.

Well, well, it isn't easy to find someone who DID get the movie! I suppose most science fictions fans have a problem with "humor". They just don't get it... The movie has a lot of flaws, of course (mainly the casting - "Doogie Houser" was NOT a good choice for that role). And the book... Well I won't even bother writing about that kind of fascist propaganda masquerading as science fiction.

You can call everything a rip-off if you want to: Mass Effect (and every other space-opera) is basically a Star Wars/Trek rip-off.

If I would try to find what they are ripping-of, (aside the "star trekkiness" of the ship) I would say Battlestar Galactica. The remake, not the original series. But it is not a rip-off because they acknowledge the inspiration. And hired two (at least, maybe more, but I remember two) protagonists for the voice-acting.

Awesome - I look forward to what will be no doubt a near launch next-gen title.

First Contact War made to be like Deus Ex HR/Dishonored would be excellent...
and/or
200 years after the Reaper War, an Action-RPG in the Mass Effect 3 vein... with inventory management thanks, for the min-maxers like me :)

I vote for no more Mass Effects, ever. After the last one which was a pure non-rpg, if they do any more, at least they should call them what they really are, shooters. Keep it honest.

-Carn

I'm about 8 hours into ME3 and I'm extremely insulted. It's a f*cking garbage. I haven't even got anywhere close to the ending and I'm sick of it. I don't know how some people think *it's like ME2 but better* - I don't find it interesting nor engaging as ME2. I find myself bored out of brains, hating space bars, hating new companions and hating the quest mechanics (can't do some quest as soon as you finish the Tuchunka quest + I couldn't complete a lot of quest because I didn't pick up some things from previous missions). What's with this horrible go here (without much hint) and pick up stuff and bring it back to Citadel missions??? And that stupid crying music that constantly pops up really drives me insane.

So my point - zero interest in ME4 - with/without Shepard, whether it is SP/MP/Online.

I'm about 8 hours into ME3 and I'm extremely insulted. It's a f*cking garbage. I haven't even got anywhere close to the ending and I'm sick of it. I don't know how some people think *it's like ME2 but better* - I don't find it interesting nor engaging as ME2. I find myself bored out of brains, hating space bars, hating new companions and hating the quest mechanics (can't do some quest as soon as you finish the Tuchunka quest + I couldn't complete a lot of quest because I didn't pick up some things from previous missions). What's with this horrible go here (without much hint) and pick up stuff and bring it back to Citadel missions??? And that stupid crying music that constantly pops up really drives me insane.

So my point - zero interest in ME4 - with/without Shepard, whether it is SP/MP/Online.

That was pretty much my reaction, and I'm still wondering exactly what kind of gamer would consider it better than ME2.

Now, ME2 wasn't my cup of tea - but it was clearly a very professional job by talented people.

Back
Top Bottom