Elder Scrolls Online preview

I've read through the article, but I don't understand enough MMO lingo to really follow some of it. Zenimax claims to want Bethesda's single player audience to like this game, but I'm not seeing it yet. Still very early in development though.

Sounds interesting, though I remain a bit skeptical to the whole mega server thing. This isn't EVE where you can spread out over extremely large areas, which means the only way to create a mega server is *extensive* use of instancing. Every region will probably have dozens of instances, which could turn out very annoying.

Other than that, I like what I read.

I believe this "mega server" could just be a Cloud.

Yes, it probably will be, but that doesn't change the scenario: One named server with X instances vs dozens of named servers, but few or no instances.

Personally, I find non-instanced worlds superior in every case except one - population spikes, for example right after an MMO launches. Temporary instancing is a possible solution to such spikes.

I don't know much about the technology side ... I had just thought that in a cloud 1 PC could be dedicated to a bunch of players or an area.

Real combat instead of Macro queues? You mean I won't simply stare at my buttons bar and fall asleep? Count me in!

Real combat instead of Macro queues? You mean I won't simply stare at my buttons bar and fall asleep? Count me in!

Early preview made it sound exactly like GuildWars 2, except with you picking all the skills in the slots as opposed to have half of them determined by your weapon(s).

This could lead to serious balance issues or terribly generic builds/items...

Unique Progression: Ensuring that you are able to build the character the way you desire. Every class will have access to every single weapon and armor in the game. You play the way you want to play.

The realm battles make it sound a bit like Dark age of Camelot which is one of my favorite MMMO's of all time.

By the way,from what I have heard they have been working on this for a few years and it's due next year.

I found the article very disappointing in what it didn't reveal. For example, nothing on the magic system which is a huge part of most mmo's. I also noticed only 2 planned servers; US and Europe. Why none for the Asia/Pacific region? Can people in Europe join with those in the US? We currently have players from all 3 areas in our DDO guild!!

I'm not getting interested in another MMO until it's just around the corner. As for TES - I'd rather have a cooperative multiplayer version of Skyrim than an MMO.

ESO got a new video.

I find all of this extremely underwhelming personally.

1. The art style is closer to Amalur than any Elder Scrolls.
  2. Argonians are Arena-ugly.
  3. "The game start at level 50 because you can PvP"…well I guess I have no reason to play this.
  4. Stats are health, stamina and magicka

But what take the cakes is that they are trying to please the WoW crowd. Failure assured right there. At the same time, I want to try it just to see if it's going to be as bad as I think it will be. I'm a strange gamer.

Note that they also seem to have interesting ideas, but a lot of them seems to be change brought to the game after the initial reveal and the backlash that followed...

Whaaat?! That video looks incredible!

Is there any word on if this game will be available on a console of some type? Xbox 360/720 or Wii U or something?

PC and Mac only (for now).

Wii U would be perfect for this game. Come on Nintendo, make it happen!

One bright spot is that MMO developers have come out and publicly stated that the Wii U would be great for MMOs because of the touch screen capability. Just think, you could have your entire hot-bar of skills and abilities ready to go on the touch screen. Would probably work out well.

Here's hoping the Wii U gets this game. I will buy one instantly if it happens.

Wii U would be perfect for this game. Come on Nintendo, make it happen!

One bright spot is that MMO developers have come out and publicly stated that the Wii U would be great for MMOs because of the touch screen capability. Just think, you could have your entire hot-bar of skills and abilities ready to go on the touch screen. Would probably work out well.

Here's hoping the Wii U gets this game. I will buy one instantly if it happens.

Not sure if it would be possible, as the Wii U has only 1GB RAM available for games. While the ESO might not be as demanding graphically as recent AAA titles, I imagine it will require a lot of RAM with so much persistent data to track. I suppose if the hardware becomes extremely popular, perhaps you will see some MMOs for that platform.

Well, Square Enix got Final Fantasy XI to play on a PS2. If that can happen then why can't ESO run on a Wii U? The graphics would be a little turned down, but it still should be able to handle it.

I don't know, I'm just really, really hoping this game comes to consoles. And if you think about it, the majority of Elder Scrolls players are on consoles anyway, so if Bethesda really wants to reach a wide audience they will develop this game for consoles too. I will keep my fingers crossed I guess...

Back
Top Bottom