What is Fallout 3? @ RPG Codex

Some facts (rumors ?):

1) Fallout 3 can be played in 1st person and 3rd person view.
2) Fallout 3 will use the V.A.T.S. (Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System): you can pause the combat as long you have enough action points available, target something new, use a bomb ... - the action points regenerate over time
3) The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. will be back, you can choose 3 skills out of 14 in the beginning of the game, these 3 can be learned faster, you can set the 7 major attributes,too. Level cap=level 20.
4) Gore factor is high and Fallout 3 goes for a mature rating.
5) Bethesda plans with 10 to 13 different endings.
6) A dog and other companions will be there.
7) Quests can be solved by
a) Combat
b) Diplomacy
c) Stealth
8) No Oblivion-like leveling of enemies

So IMO there is hope for a good Fallout-like game, if they make it challenging with enough choices and consequences, a cool story and memorable NPCs- I'll like it.

@ Ghan:

Most of these quotes don't go against what I posted. Only very few quotes state that it's not an Oblivion with guns shooter, but without explaining much, i.e.

It's not a shooter because the game has skills.
Even though it looks like a shooter, it's not because Bethesda says it's not.
It's not a shooter because you can target body parts (like that makes sense),

As for the "faithful" comments, the game can be first-person and actiony and still have enough Fallout "spirit" to be considered faithful to the series. In my humble opinion, of course.

Of course they don't proove anything. But neither did yours in the reverse. What's Oblivion with guns mean to you? To me any game that would have decent nonlinear quest design and multiple endings and detailed NPCs can't be Oblivion with guns. It may not be Fallout either, but it would be far above and beyond Oblivion.

To me any game that would have decent nonlinear quest design and multiple endings and detailed NPCs can't be Oblivion with guns. It may not be Fallout either, but it would be far above and beyond Oblivion.
I agree, of course, so let's hope that you are right and that Fallout 3 *is* such a game.

But since Oblivion was released, and the Codex somehow attracted a horde of foul-mouthed immature brats who just seem to revel in the opportunity to be obnoxious, loud, stupid and contrary just because they can.

I have personally experienced in the older forums of the game that later became Sacred - from the moment on as it was labellere "Action-RPG", THAT sorts of people flooded the once nice forums and all serious discussion style went to hell.

For every 1 good quote/hype/rumour you can find about F3, there is another 10 rotten ones. In the end it all comes down to weather or not you trust beth and on that plane i have no reason but to think the worst, they have only proven themself worse and worse since they started their shitbox gaming mode. Having faint in F3 or trusting the massive crap hyping they spin about is so stupid im totally lost for words how any thinking person can imagine a good outcome of all this.

There's an interview up at strategycore.co.uk with Emil P. - the game's Lead Designer which asks some real tough questions, some of them have been collected by the good folks at NMA. (spotted at rpgcodex.com).

The interview is really nice and we finally :) got some answers we can use -
as rpg fans...

edit:
Here's the link:

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/e3/pg/07fallout3

Last edited:
News flash, July 20th 2010, Bethesda, Virginia
"After the tremendous commercial success of "Fallout 3: Mutants all over the East Coast", Bethsoft announced today it is working on the 4th installement of the legendary series, "Fallout 4: The Return of the Mutants" with even more guns, blood and mutants-head-blowing-fest!
After deep and thorough ANALysis by expert ANALists on how to improve from Fallout 3, Bethsoft concluded players felt the game was still too complicated and misleading compared to their previous success: Oblivion.
Therefore, Bethsoft decided Fallout 4 would now feature 2 totally different ways to complete quests: either through the use of Ranged combat or the use of Melee combat as well 3 differint endings: 1 "you kill all mutants alive and destroy their laboratories", 2 "you join them by becoming a mutant yourself", 3... err 3.... we still haven't figured what other alternatives could be found to the first 2... hell I still can't believe we managed to come up with 9+ endings on Fallout 3".

Seriously, I'm getting tired of all the speculations and guessings and rumours, hell the game is more than a year away and there's already all that talking and debating about it that's gonna be one long year of waiting, seeing as Bethsoft seem so sure of how they want to do their Fallout nothing we say is going to make them change their plans now, so I'll just try hard and forget about Fallout 3 for now until it's actually released. Who knows I might be surprised, but I think it's healthier for me to not expect anything.

Last edited:
SC had a good interview, and I found it encouraging. I'm still skeptical after the disappointment of Oblivion which didn't live up to the promises and hype, but I will be buying the game and making my final determination then. Will it be like the originals? Obviously not. Will it simply be Ob with Guns? From what I've been reading, NO, it won't. If it's as good as the original DX I won't complain either. Let's wait and see.

the Codex somehow attracted a horde of foul-mouthed immature brats who just seem to revel in the opportunity to be obnoxious, loud, stupid and contrary just because they can. And the bizarre racism is really revolting. This diminishes the credibility of the whole site in my opinion.
I kinda agree. The problem is that we've had a "hands-off moderation" approach for most of the site's history. In fact, this "we rarely ban" policy got instated mainly because the management does regularly get their hands dirty in heated discussions, which makes the line between getting rid of an undesirable poster and banning because you're in a one-on-one discussion with a user and he's being a douchebag, awfully thin. There are certain things that we'd like to get rid of though, and we have taken some steps to try to achieve this. like this, concerning the nazi stuff or like this, concerning the childish "Let's go troll teh enemy's forum and brag about it".
At the end of the day, though, the very nature of the site makes it inevitable that foul-mouthed troll kiddies make it their haven. It's a fine line between maintaining the integrity of your community and going overboard and destroying what made it good in the first place.

That's why I'll NEVER post in the forums, but I will read the excellent articles the Codex regularly produces!!

You are mistaken. I'm not a die hard fan, and unlike many, I'll be perfectly ok with a Fallout-inspired game from Bethesda. I'll be very happy if the game turns out to be Morrowind with guns. It's the Oblivion with guns concept that scares the hell out of me.

Really? I thought you were of the opinion that Morrowind sucked terribly? Explain!

I think Oblivion clearly improves on a number of things over Morrowind and regresses in other areas, so I find it hard to see Morrowind with guns as more appealing than Oblivion with guns. Actually, I found Oblivion more playable.

So, yes, why is MW w- guns better?

Really? I thought you were of the opinion that Morrowind sucked terribly? Explain!
I'm not sure that "sucked terribly" is a good way to describe my position. I wasn't impressed with MW the RPG, but it was a pretty good adventure game. Oblivion, on the other hand, was a horrible RPG AND a very bad adventure game.

In MW I liked the land, both the "alien" visuals and the size - a truckload of towns and villages to visit. More than 25 unique places with their own quests. Guilds' quests were not limited to one town only as in Oblivion. As a guild member you could continue your services in several other towns. The overall design was better as well. Less childish and Disneyland-ish.

Morag Tong was a better designed guild than Oblivion's DB. The Temple was a nice, less vanilla faction. The three Houses were a great feature as well. And so on, and so on.

Dhruin said:
I think Oblivion clearly improves on a number of things over Morrowind and regresses in other areas...
I think it improves the least important aspects and regresses in more vital areas. Needless to say, we've entered a very subjective area.

...so I find it hard to see Morrowind with guns as more appealing than Oblivion with guns. Actually, I found Oblivion more playable.
It's the other way around for me. Oblivion makes Morrowind looks like a masterpiece.

Some facts (rumors ?):

1) Fallout 3 can be played in 1st person and 3rd person view.
2) Fallout 3 will use the V.A.T.S. (Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System): you can pause the combat as long you have enough action points available, target something new, use a bomb ... - the action points regenerate over time
3) The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. will be back, you can choose 3 skills out of 14 in the beginning of the game, these 3 can be learned faster, you can set the 7 major attributes,too. Level cap=level 20.
4) Gore factor is high and Fallout 3 goes for a mature rating.
5) Bethesda plans with 10 to 13 different endings.
6) A dog and other companions will be there.
7) Quests can be solved by
a) Combat
b) Diplomacy
c) Stealth
8) No Oblivion-like leveling of enemies

So IMO there is hope for a good Fallout-like game, if they make it challenging with enough choices and consequences, a cool story and memorable NPCs- I'll like it.

And do NOT forget well written dialogue. The dialogue in F1 and 2 (more 2 I think) is one of the main reasons why I like the games so much.

From what I've read so far, Bethsoft might very well make this the first "real" cRPG in a long time, and a true Falloutgame to that. It might allso turn out to be Oblivion with guns. I agree with [whoever it was who said this] when he/she said that we'll only know what it will be when we play the acuall game.

But if Bethsoft DOESN'T pull it off, I'll probablly NEVER buy a Bethsoft product...

Übereil

Back
Top Bottom