Is Might & Magic VI the greatest game ever created?

Kinda mini-M&Ms.
Mmmm … M&Ms …

280px-Plain-M%26Ms-Pile.jpg

On-topic: I played World of Xeen way back and part of MMX recently. Going to play 6-8 at some point, too. I also think it feels like Wizardry Light, but that isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
Thinking more about it, I wish rpg's would tone down the numbers game significantly. I want character progression tied into the game world. Different branching paths you can take to shape your character and his/her abilities.

Of course stats will still be there but it will leap more in large discrete steps. Instead of the +1 strength or +1% resistance you get each level.

I agree Industrial Lights and Magic. I love how doing the promotion quests makes a huge leap in your abilities. All of a sudden you can master crafts that you used to dabble in. Getting the 2nd promotion for the archer was really cool in MM7. All of a sudden you have another viable caster who is still devastating after he/she runs out of mana.

BTW, I edit the archer so that they get expert disarm in the beginning. I hated that only one class was truly good at disarming the 99% trapped chests. With expert on the archer, I can disarm early game stuff and then either go with telekinesis or grab a magical piece of equipment with a great disarm bonus.

Mmmm … M&Ms …

280px-Plain-M%26Ms-Pile.jpg

As a diabetic, I haven't had m&ms in so long, now I'm craving them. Thanks, cat. My god-daughter, when she was a baby, knew what m&m's meant so we had to call them letter and letters when shopping :)

It's certainly one of the most fun cRPGs I ever played but was rather poorly balanced and by the end game I was so overpowered (once I got that Crossbow of Godlike World-Destroying Uber-Destruction...not the real name of the item, btw, but it sure felt like it!) that I killed the final boss in literally 2-3 seconds. No fun in doing in essence what was pointing a finger and going, "You're a bad baddie! You're a very bad baddie!" and whisking them off to the cornfield. The follow up game was better balanced.

Well, I'm fairly dumb when it comes to mods and such, I just need GoG to list Wizardry Four for sale and then I'll be set =)

If you ever get tired of waiting, PM me, and I'll check if I'm able to get my version working with DOSBox. Since I was able to play Wiz 6 and 7, I'm pretty confident Wiz 4 would work too.

Might & Magic VI was the first RPG I ever completed. Twice in a row. And as I'm a relatively slow player, it took me roughly 150 hours per playthrough. I really loved the game, and still do. Unlike most here, I still prefer it over M&M7.

Yes, it has balance issues. If you use the default party (I did this on my first play), you notice that the "might" classes get a bit weak in late game. On my second attempt, I used two sorcerers and two druids, which is more or less the a steamroll on later levels.

The best thing about M&M6 is the dungeons. They are larger than in the later games, and several of them are very well designed. While the overland portions haven't aged too well (early 3D tends to look a bit ugly), the dungeons are still top notch nowadays.

The best M&M game, I had a lot of fun with it.

However the story in M&M games is not good enough for me, especially

The alien and blasters stuff

The best M&M game, I had a lot of fun with it.

However the story in M&M games is not good enough for me, especially

The alien and blasters stuff

Aww, I thought the Spoiler Stuff was great. It was kind of goofy and out of place, and totally part of the charm of the early Might and Magics. I was kind of sad when they removed it from the later installments.

Great responses, everyone. I enjoyed reading them all (without checking the spoilers! I hate spoilers for games I haven't completed yet. :D)

I enjoyed M&MVI more then M&MVII also. I still have my M&MVI T-shirt and wear it once in awhile to horrify my wife. The guy at the computer gaming store gave me 2 T-shirts because I was such a good customer.

My favorite game of all time is Might and Magic II. I spent over a year playing it and won when my party was level 255 I think. Was a real hard game to win before the internet. I had to upgrade my Apple 2e to be able to play M&MII.

There is no better series in my book and I still have all the old maps and manuals. Even have some of my old hand drawn maps from the first one. M&MII does have an auto map. Someone said it doesn't but it does.

I love this game. The first time i played it, it seemed so big. Just reading some of the comments here makes me want to play it again.

Just to add one more thing. As far as if it's the greatest RPG of all time. I don't know about that, but, in my opinion, it is right up there. I think it would be in my top 5-7 rpg's i've ever played. And i have played a lot of rpg's.

MM6 stands out as one of my all time favorite RPGs and I recently replayed it back in August 2014. The game is STRONG in all 3 of my favorite RPG "virtues" - exploration (discovery, puzzles, quests), character development (attributes & skills), and gear. I always loved that paper doll snap on paradigm. The game is so good it's rather bland graphics (which were unremarkable even when the game first released) didn't phase me in the least. Truly some excellent gameplay.

Add my voice to the choir, though I have a hard time choosing between 6 and 7. 6 did dungeon design and I thought the monsters were better. It gets long towards the end. 7 has much better character progression and town design. It is also a shorter game because the dungeons are smaller.

Back
Top Bottom