Eve Online

SirDeity

Watchdog
This game doesn't get as much hype as it deserves so I thought I'd mention it. Before I talk about this MMORPG specifically, I'll first just say that I have played the original EverQuest, EverQuest 2, World of Warcraft, Lineage II, Dark Ages of Camelot, Illusia, Dark Space, and Dungeons & Dragons Online... I played the original EQ the longest... for several years actually... only played D&D for a short 7-day trial period and DAOC for about 1 month, but all of the others I played at least 6 months and advanced to at least a level in the mid 40's.

So why EVE Online? To put it simply, it's the only MMO game worth mentioning that is based in a futuristic fantasy universe rather than the typical medieval world. EVE Online offers a very unique skill system where you actually learn new skills while you're online AND offline. The graphics are stunningly beatiful. The gameplay is primarily in space ships. As you advance through the game you grow in skills/knowledge and with currency you can build your own ships, purchase your own ships, and you can even forge your own empire! One of the most amazing things about this game is that your clan or guild or whatever you call it can control space! You make the rules and control the systems in your domain. The jobs, the crafts, the options and things you can do are so vast it is truly amazing. I personally stopped playing just prior to a major expansion that made the game a LOT better, introducing titan class ships and a boat load of new quests and story play... but it's easily one of the top 4 or 5 MMO games every created in my opinion. It is the best for futuristic gameplay.

If you're looking for an MMO in a futuristic sci-fi space sort of setting for a change, this game will blow your mind... but one thing I should note straight away is that it has a steep learning curve. At first the game might seems like cheap donkey doodoo but once you figure out how to fly around and leave the sector to see whats "out there" you'll be hooked...just watch out for those jerk pirates!

P.S. The overall best MMORPG game currently in my opinion has to be a tie between Lineage II with all expansion and EverQuest 2 with all expansions. Yes, I think EQ2 is better than WoW folks... sorry.

Oh and before anyone asks...yes it costs monthly fee. I generally only play MMO's that cost monthly fee's (unless they are betas) because those are the ones that are the best... they simply cost a lot of money to maintain so they have to charge...it makes sense if you really understand the depth of a modern competitive mmorpg and is absolutely worth it if you have the time to play.

Completely agree; Eve is one of the best MMO's you can find. Grinding for levels? No such thing in Eve - everything is realtime based (which does, however, mean that everyone who got there earlier than you has an advantage, though) - that's the best thing for it, IMO. Also, the economy is well developed, and the universe is simply huge.

Heartily recommend. :)

Oh, and you can buy your subscription with in-game money, if you don't wish to pay (but you'll probably have to for the first month or two).

Back
Top Bottom