Gamasutra - The Strong's eGameRevolution Exhibit

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Gamasutra reports about a museum dedicated to the history of gaming. For anyone interested in the history of games there is a permanent exhibit you can go to at The Strong called eGameRevolution. The interactive exhibit is produced by the International Center for the History of Electronic Games.
The exhibit is 5,000 square feet and features the history of video gaming as well as modern games. There is an "old fashioned" video arcade with more than 120 machines as well as many other unique never seen before items like Will Wrights notebooks on the creation of his many games.
If you are ever in the New York area it might be fun to take a quick trip down there to learn about how this crazy hobby of ours got started:
Oversized figures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Link from The Legend of Zelda greet guests at the exhibit entrance. Once inside, a wide breadth of video games—from pioneer Ralph Baer’s first Brown Box games to today’s high tech Xbox 360 games—are ready to enjoy. From Pong and Pac-Man to today’s hot gamer trends, every generation can enjoy the history and future of electronic games.

* Enter a recreated, old-fashioned video arcade featuring more than two dozen operating historic video games.
* Visit one of several emulator stations around the gallery and challenge yourself to many classic console and PC games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario 64, SimCity, and Oregon Trail.
* Play Guitar Hero and Boom Blox for Wii.
* Challenge others to a gigantic game of Tetris.
* Play classic video games on an LED Lightspace dance floor.
* Create artwork with oversized translucent pegs on a gigantic Lite Brite–like pixel wall.
* See how electronic games evolved from other forms of play by examining artifacts from the museum’s collections and their video game counterparts—a dollhouse and The Sims or baseball board games and their computerized equivalents.
* Follow a video game timeline and see how games and game platforms have progressed and increased in sophistication over past decades. eGameRevolution Arcade

The exhibit also tackles some big questions surrounding video games: Do they isolate people? How much time should kids play? What games are appropriate? Do they cause violence? Are they addictive? What are the health effects? How do they change the way we think?

Admission to eGameRevolution is free with general museum admission fees.
More information.

I love how they said "Old Fashioned" video arcades. Old fashioned my foot. That was only around 20 - 30 years ago. I went to those "old fashioned" places :)

I feel old :p

Really though I might just make a special trip to New York one day (Sarah's been bugging me to go there anyways) and see this museum. Probably bring back a ton of memories.

Berlin also once had a small "Video Games Museum".
It closed only few days before I had finally found it (I think), plus it was opened only on Sundays.
I don't quite know what happened, but it had to close (lack of money, I think), and it gained no support by the town of Berlin.
Which left its status in limbo.

Edit : I just see that they'll be opening in 2011 ! Hooray ! :)
http://www.computerspielemuseum.de/index.php?lg=de&main=News&site=02:00:00&id=235

Back
Top Bottom