Warlock: Master of the Arcane - Now Available

Really good review there killias2, I hope you do more reviews of 4x's or RPGs.

I really do enjoy FFH2 so looking forward to Fallen Enchantress though still not much of a fan of the original Elemental, even all patched up it's still dull for me.

Because of this review I bought Warlock: Masters of the Arcane today, downloading as we speak, looks like it will be highly enjoyable.

Really good review there killias2, I hope you do more reviews of 4x's or RPGs.

I really do enjoy FFH2 so looking forward to Fallen Enchantress though still not much of a fan of the original Elemental, even all patched up it's still dull for me.

Because of this review I bought Warlock: Masters of the Arcane today, downloading as we speak, looks like it will be highly enjoyable.

Thanks for all the kind words. Like I said, it lacks depth, it's very combat focused, and it has a few other weaknesses. However, it's -very- easy to learn, and you basically start playing "immediately." You'll probably be fighting a neutral town during your first turn. It's easy to get lost in. Twice, I've found myself simply sitting and playing until I beat the game entirely.

@Dune Mod
Holy snap! Why are there so many good Civ 4 mods?! It's like that damn game is never done taking my time. Hell, with it installed again, I'm highly tempted to play a vanilla game for shits.

Have you tried Planetfall or the Master of Orion mod. I found those two to be good also.

Link-http://www.moddb.com/mods/planetfall
Link-http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19066

Honestly, I have precious little experience with Civ 4 modding. The base game was addictive enough as it was. Though I knew there was a lot of high profile modding going on, I never thoroughly investigated. I did play Fall From Heaven some, but I never really got into it. I've gathered that Master of Mana is the "definitive" version of FfH, but I don't really know.

And now Dune and Master of Orion mods are tossed at me, as though I have the willpower to walk away. At least this will prevent me from purchasing Endless Space. I've had the Steam "purchase" page open in a tab for almost a week.. just tempting myself to finally pull the trigger.

Since the topic slightly derailed towards Civ mod : have these mods been ported to Civ V or are there high quality mods for it now ?

Last edited:
Too bad, I kind of prefer the Civ 5 engine. Thanks for the link.

The expansion for civ5 probably isn't too far away, that could give civ5 a new lease of life.

After playing Paradox strategy games (Europa Universalis 3, Crusader Kings 2, etc) I bought Civ 5 and ... couldn't play it for more than a couple of hours. It felt so shallow.

After playing Paradox strategy games (Europa Universalis 3, Crusader Kings 2, etc) I bought Civ 5 and … couldn't play it for more than a couple of hours. It felt so shallow.

To be fair, none of the Civ games hold up as terribly deep against the Paradox Grand Strategy titles.

Still, I think Civ 4 is a better game than Civ 5, and I doubt the expansion will do much to change that.

Anyone who enjoys Civ 5, however, might like Warlock. Warlock takes -a lot- from Civ 5, even if the game comes away feeling different. In some ways, I think Warlock understands the strengths and weaknesses of a one-unit-per-hex system better than Civ 5, as the focus is away from grand strategy/development/diplomacy/economics and toward tactical combat.

Back
Top Bottom