Which classic cRPG should I play?

I have a special place in my heart for the SSI Goldbox games, as they represent everything I like about a CRPG. Adjusting for the time of release, of course.

Play in this order:

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Queen of Darkness

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn

I also highly recommend the two Buck Rogers games, though I only completed the first one.

There were others in the same series, but I never really played them so couldn't speak for their quality. Of those mentioned, I was especially fond of Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Champions of Krynn and Buck Rogers.

No love for Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Treasures of the Savage Frontier? Treasures was the first cRPG I ever beat, and only the second game (behind Mega Man 3).

Might and Magic II, III, and World of Xeen are all great, but I have no clue if they're still available for download. The first one is tough to get into, though. Ultima from V to VII are great as well. Wizardry VI and VII.

...and it requires you to set up some kind of CD-rom setup in order to play it. I've no idea how to do this *hint hint*. ;)

Übereil

You need to edit the config file (doxbox.conf) to "mount" the drives you want available in DosBox. Look at the bottom of the file - there should be a section called [autoexec]. The commands in this section are run everytime you "boot" dosbox. It should look somewhat like this:

[autoexec]
mount C C:\oldgames -freesize 600
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
c:\

The first line mounts the windows directory "c:\oldgames" to a virtual "C:\" drive in DosBox. The "freesize" option tells DosBox how much free space it should always report as being available when you type "dir" in DosBox, or when the old dos games ask about free space in their installers. In this case I've set the size to 600mb.

The second line mounts your computers cd-rom drive (in my case it's called D:\ in windows) to a similar D:\ cd-rom drive in DosBox.

The last line tells DosBox that you want to start at the root of it's virtual C:\ drive when you boot the program (otherwise it'll start at a drive called Z:\ that it automatically maps for you)

Be sure to check out Eschalon when its released soon....very good game.

Back
Top Bottom