Should promoting your site

Should promoting other sites be ..

• Yes it can't hurt this site

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No, if you want to do your own thing then this isn't the place to do it

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Doesn't matter I only come here because I love the site.

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
Do you like people promoting their own sites or interest here?

Honestly, as long as I'm not forced to see it through ads or something, I don't care much.
Besides, as long as I'm near, they can't outpromote Skyrim bugs and Dragon Age bears. :evilgrin:

It's a fair question, but I think we should maybe let this lie for a while, and let things shake out. I think certain creatures have detected the blood in the water, and these threads are very likely to be turned into gruesome feeding frenzies.

Codexians are lurking?
We better prepare for another invasion then. :D

People having differing opinions should not automatically be attributed to the Codex. That betrays a bias before we even get started.

I won't be voting in this one.

It's a fair question, but I think we should maybe let this lie for a while, and let things shake out. I think certain creatures have detected the blood in the water, and these threads are very likely to be turned into gruesome feeding frenzies.

Well if they are lurking then there must be blood. If all of this sort of thing is good for this site then there is nothing to worry about is there?

No, I'm not identifying the problem with the Codex. I do think that certain characters emerge at these times, with no constructive agenda. I don't know where they usually hang out.

Well if they are lurking then there must be blood. If all of this sort of thing is good for this site then there is nothing to worry about is there?

Fair enough. I just wonder if we might do better if we gave it a few days.

No, I'm not identifying the problem with the Codex. I do think that certain characters emerge at these times, with no constructive agenda. I don't know where they usually hang out.

I have no clue about this Codex everyone talks about. I figure this is another site and who cares. Though if everyone cares about this site then they should care about members here promoting their own sites.

All this talk about blood in water, lurking etc reminded me of this nature video :D

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/lions-vs-buffalo-predation

So the point of this Video is???

1) let people do what they want here and weaken this site?
2) let people do what they want and this site will be stronger
3) let everyone say we stand up for this site and lets make it stronger.

I have no clue what everyone wants. Though I believe all these other sites make us the hunt, not the hunters.

I'm not against the concept of doing your own thing, as long as it doesn't go against the site. When Couch sought donations and even made a news post about it, I didn't like it (and I certainly didn't hide those feelings), but I relented because it's a reader's choice and it doesn't harm the site - at least not in the short term. When Fluent decided to try selling us an overpriced used Laptop, I found it quite distasteful, but also comical. So, I didn't bother posting (at least I don't think I did), hoping it would work itself out.

But this crosses the line. It goes beyond distasteful and crosses into plain repugnant behavior.
Hey guys! Starting my own Youtube channel! Watch me!
bump
bump
Hey guys! Selling my laptop for $2,000
bump
bump
Hey guys! Fund me on patreon!
bump
bump
Hey guys! You are all children if you don't agree with my AWESOME opinion!
bump
I'm leaving!
bump
No, I'm not!
bump
Yes, I am! But I'll actively promote my new site while I do so.
It's pathetic. All the worse that it's a fucking moderator.

poll is missing an option ...
- Yes, as long as the site is about RPGs.

Many (ok *MOST*) forums have a 'marketplace' forum where selling things is OK. Since we are geographically more diverse than many other sites, I don't think it is so simple, but hey, whatever.

I have always thought that non-competing sites were pretty much fair game - JRPG sites, sites focusing on walkthroughs, etc, game sales / trading sites and so on. Now that we have social media there is plenty of talk about Steam groups without anyone calling it 'pathetic' (who knows Drithius, maybe you did), and so if people decided to have a weekly Twitter chat like #RPGChat (I do participate in 'running chats'), or a Facebook or G+ group ... whatever.

I think it is mostly best served by including it in you Sig or profile, personally - rather than by creating threads.

I'm not against the concept of doing your own thing, as long as it doesn't go against the site. When Couch sought donations and even made a news post about it, I didn't like it (and I certainly didn't hide those feelings), but I relented because it's a reader's choice and it doesn't harm the site - at least not in the short term. When Fluent decided to try selling us an overpriced used Laptop, I found it quite distasteful, but also comical. So, I didn't bother posting (at least I don't think I did), hoping it would work itself out.

But this crosses the line. It goes beyond distasteful and crosses into plain repugnant behavior.

It's pathetic. All the worse that it's a fucking moderator.

I mean, on his Patreon he goes really really overboard. He says that if he gets $10000 a month he will direct his own dream RPG game and will hire people to help him make it.

I'm with Mike on this matter. Including this stuff in a sig or would be better than creating threads. And MMORPG marketing threads can be posted in MMORPG marketing.

It might be prudent to pick moderators with a lesser need for attention :)

I enjoy the mostly mature and levelheaded exchange on the Watch, but after the last couple of moderator additions, it's been more of a struggle. It's felt like many members were criticised for not being politically correct enough, and some for being critical. Those weren't big issues in the past, as I recall and I definitely prefer the non-agenda Watch.

But whatever floats your boat. It's not my site, so I shouldn't really call any shots.

I voted yes and my vote is completely unrelated to fluent and stuff surrounding him.
There are sites I who's promotion I welcome like that RPG database project or that site who's name I can't remember where we all voted on best 80's and 90's RPGs and I would be ok if Indeirpg or RPGamer got promoted since they focus on different stuff .
So yes if it's about collaboration.

I'm so honored to have my very own haters on this site. ^^

Not only do they follow my every move, but they *remember* O_O. :lol:

I <3 you guys! :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom