TSI - New Studio Founded by SSI Alumni

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Tactical Simulations Interactive or TSI for short is a new RPG developer funded by a few veterans from SSI. They sent over a new press release with more information.

Introducing TSI – Tactical Simulations Interactive

New independent video games studio formed by SSI alumni, aiming to bring back the “Gold Box” RPG experience for a new generation

August 8, 2014 - Los Angeles, USA /… Tactical Simulations Interactive (TSI), a new independent video games studio with old school RPG sensibilities, has been established by Strategic Simulations Inc. veterans Paul Murray and David Shelley, and company President David Klein.

Drawing on their experience at SSI, the team at TSI aims to provide the next step in meaningful player experiences in the same way that SSI's ‘Gold Box’ titles did during the 1980s and 1990s.

David Shelley takes on the role of Producer/Lead Designer, while Paul Murray serves as Technical Designer at TSI. The team was integral to the international success of Strategic Simulations Inc.’s genre-defining RPGs, such as Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pool of Radiance, and Wizard's Crown.

David Shelley, Producer/Lead Designer, TSI said:
“Tactical Simulations Interactive is a return to providing the player full control of their party, with a focus on creating immersive and unforgettable story experiences, exciting exploration, meaningful social/political choices, and robust tactical combat.”

The Gold Box series of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons RPGs were produced by SSI between 1988 and 1993 using the same game engine, provided a quality game experience that was “true to tabletop” and allowed players to create, customize and control a full party with tactical combat. They earned the Gold Box moniker because of the gold boxes that they came packaged in, with the series also acting as a precursor to RPG classics like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and Neverwinter Nights.

Tactical Simulations Interactive will reveal more details about its debut title in the near future. To keep updated, visit:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TSIGames
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames
More information.

That is great news and makes me happy. SSI did Fantasy General also I think. They need to make FGII with some modern graphics and keep the game play the same. That would be the best news I have heard in a long time. To this day, Fantasy General has the best music ever made for a computer game.

Gold box games with updated graphics and sounds would be great. Whether this debut title will be a remake or a completely new game it's great news.

This is unbelievably awesome. I will be excited to follow the news on this. I still remember how the Gold Box games stopped getting made for the C64 (Secret of the Silver Blades was the last one, meaning that my veteran characters never got to see Pools of Darkness), and I actually wrote a letter to SSI trying to get them to reconsider.

Great news! SSI published some of the earliest RPGs I played, such as Phantasie III and Questron II. I would love to see a continuation or a reboot of the Gold Box series. Now if they would only go for a Dark Sun sequel too...

As great as the gold box games were, I can't forget the crap SSI put out in the mid to late 90s. I'm hoping its the team responsible for the good games and not the poor ones. I also hope, unlike David W. Bradley that they can work effectively with modern technology or find people who can and also find people who can halfway effectively beta test their stuff (look at any version of Dungeon Lords- shudder-).

Wow, goldbox games might be coming back. Best news!!! While we wait for new products, they could fix up the old games to work on current systems and make me quite the happy Carnifex =))

Goodness me, first a new Underworld gets announced and now we have this little doozy! Tremendous news, thanks for posting Couch. I'm both awestruck and fascinated to read more.
Feels like all my 80s Christmasses are coming all at once. :)
Ahh, so many games, so little time...

CRPG renaissance 2.0 ;)

I really want another Dark Sun game and hope it isn't really buggy like Dark Sun 2 was.

I wonder how they are going to attempt "immersive and unforgettable story experiences". They might be able to do that with clearly defined characters, but that can be a bit of a trade off with custom created characters (not that either has been mentioned!). It's usually something JRPGs (or a WRPG like the Witcher series) have become a lot better with over time because the defined characters can be weaved in with the story.

I guess it is a bit of a sore spot for me as I'm far more interest story these days than the refinement of mechanical systems behind the scenes and to an extent, customised character creation/development.

Potentially wonderful news.

A modern take on Pool of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder and Buck Rogers = One happy DArt.

I still remember how the Gold Box games stopped getting made for the C64 (Secret of the Silver Blades was the last one, meaning that my veteran characters never got to see Pools of Darkness), and I actually wrote a letter to SSI trying to get them to reconsider.

I also share your sentiment but I think you are referring to Gold box Forgotten realms, as actually both Death Knights of Kyrnn and Gateway to the savage frontier were released after Secret of the Silver Blades. The Gold box certainly was the pinnacle of c64 gaming.

Paul Murray was the programmer on the c64 version of Secret of the silver blades and Dave Shelley was the story/project lead and he also designed the areas of new verdigris and the finale (where you fight all the golems and the dreadlord).

They both also had a large part to play in Countdown to doomsday, Paul (c64 programming) and Dave did some of the areas.

Last edited:
So ex-SSI are back and with a clear focus on RPG's instead of strategy?

This.is.excellent.news.

Thunderscape 2. Now.

I also share your sentiment but I think you are referring to Gold box Forgotten realms, as actually both Death Knights of Kyrnn and Gateway to the savage frontier were released after Secret of the Silver Blades. The Gold box certainly was the pinnacle of c64 gaming.

Yeah, I remember those ADND games very fondly. Thing is, SSI also did a bunch of other less awesome games.

Just to be sure, TSI is meaning to make games like Deathknights and not, like… Heroes of the Lance 2 or something? :p

edit: I mean, even thats DND licence. Are we talking DND games here at all or even rpgs?

So ex-SSI are back and with a clear focus on RPG's instead of strategy?

This.is.excellent.news.

Thunderscape 2. Now.

Let's not have them do a sequel to one of their worst games, please.

I'd rather have Spelljammer 2 or something.

Veil of Darkness 2, anyone?

Sounds great in theory anyway. We'll see what they want to make and how much funding they get to do it.

Yeah, I remember those ADND games very fondly. Thing is, SSI also did a bunch of other less awesome games.

Just to be sure, TSI is meaning to make games like Deathknights and not, like… Heroes of the Lance 2 or something? :p

Dave was not designer on HotL so I doubt it. They were both part of the SSI Special Projects Team (Internal development studio). The Special Projects Team had a almost perfect record.

Let's not have them do a sequel to one of their worst games, please.

I'd rather have Spelljammer 2 or something.

Veil of Darkness 2, anyone?

Possible, but given neither of those were developed by SSI it is unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom