What Are The Best New MMOs in 2010?

deadplayer

Watcher
2010 is drawing to a close. Let's check out what good new MMOs in 2010?

Legendary Champions
Legendary Champions is an oriental themed MMORPG that combines DotA style PvP with traditional MMORPG gameplay. Players create a character, do quests, level up, explore the game world, and take part in all the usual gameplay elements. PvP options include a 5v5 DotA style match-up where players take on the role of Beowulf, King Arthur, Dracula, or one of the other 60 champions available. The game also supports PvP battlegrounds and open world PvP. Legendary Champions isn’t just a player vs player game, there are plenty of instanced dungeons and raids for groups and guilds to conquer.

Battle of the Immortals
Battle of the Immortals is an action MMORPG that blends Norse mythology with a Qin Dynasty era Chinese game world. The game has many staple features such as pets, mounts, PvP combat, and an auto-navigate system but also has plenty of new innovations. Among these is the Soul Gear system in which equipment gains experience and grows with use. Additionally, the Zodiac System grants characters special powers at certain times depending on their character’s selected birthday.

Dynasty Warriors Online
Dynasty Warriors Online is the MMORPG version of the famous hack-and-slash console series. Like many Asian MMORPGs, DWO is set in the Three Kingdoms period, but this time players can jump straight into the action. Dynasty Warriors Online has fast-paced combat where players will be striking down hordes of enemies with every swing. Each weapon type has different stats, such as reach, power, and speed. Players must decide which weapons to use and upgrade. There is a ton of PvE and PvP content in the game, but like the console versions, battles themselves are instanced. Up to twenty-four users can take part in a battle, and each team must work together to capture bases and kill as many enemies as possible.
Dynasty Warriors Online is a 3D fantasy MMORPG set in medieval China. Players can take part in massive battles that contain both fast-paced, live-action, tactical gameplay. Battle for control of China during the Three Kingdoms period! Take part in epic, large-scale, instanced battles in DWO!

Iris Online
Iris is a MMORPG blending medieval fantasy element and Gypsy ethnic group style. It offers dungeon and PVP gameplay In Iris, there are three races available for selection, Human, Orc and Elf. Another selling point of Iris is Tarot Card originated from the Middle Age Italy. There are totally 78 cards. 22 are Major Arcana and 56 are Minor Arcana. Using these cards, players can enhance skills, transform into monsters, etc. They can even attach Tarot cards on their weapons to gain special abilities.

Keep our eyes on the result of players' votes(Undergoing now): http://contest.mmosite.com/gameprize/webapps/?action=gamelist&id=6

Pretty much anytime I see "PvP" listed as a major part of a game, it turns out the game sucks. The end result is bland, generic core gameplay, and tons of griefing from "leet" fools who think because they can steal mommies credit card and buy everything from the store to make their character have an edge, they're better than everyone. It turns into epeen online, and is about as good a game as ET for the old Atari.

So it seems to me that those are the ones who bribed that site the most, because with PvP, they ain't never gonna be anything but fail.

PvP can work given the right design, and I think a game like Darkfall works pretty well for what it is.

Sadly, Mortal Online turned out to be a complete failure.

The thing about PvP, is that developers haven't figured out how to deal with human behaviour in such an environment. There are ways to handle that, but they have yet to really "get it" - and most are black/white between mainstreamers and hardcore gamers. It's not impossible to make a game that appeals to both, but you have to be smart about it.

Yeah - and smart rule #1 is "Don't let players use their own characters." If you do, the playing field is going to be horribly unbalanced every time.

Honestly, I didn't see any MMOs come out this year that were even slightly interesting. Next year could be a big year, though, with Guild Wars 2 and possibly Star Wars:TOR. I wonder if Funcom can get Secret World out the door?

Pretty much anytime I see "PvP" listed as a major part of a game, it turns out the game sucks. The end result is bland, generic core gameplay, and tons of griefing from "leet" fools who think because they can steal mommies credit card and buy everything from the store to make their character have an edge, they're better than everyone. It turns into epeen online, and is about as good a game as ET for the old Atari.

So it seems to me that those are the ones who bribed that site the most, because with PvP, they ain't never gonna be anything but fail.
I'm exactly like you. To me, a good MMO should either concentrate on PvE or on PvP, not both. There are many spells/abilities/skills that work perfectly fine PvE, like crowd-control, aggro management, etc. but they just don't translate well for PvP.
So yes, same thing, if I see an MMO with PvP as one of its main selling points, it has the opposite effect on me.

Back
Top Bottom