Pillars of Eternity - Interview & New Patch Notes

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Shacknews interviewed Feargus Urquhart this week about his just released RPG game Pillars of Eternity, and talk about its early success & first game expansion.
Urquhart fully recognizes that even though the game is out there, there is still work to be done. That includes upcoming patches, with Urquhart noting that 1.05, in particular, set to introduce some quality of life improvements. This includes allowing players to change portraits, balance tweaks, and other adjustments based on player feedback.

The big takeaway from the call, however, is that Obsidian is already hard at work crafting an expansion for Pillars of Eternity. In fact, Urquhart offered a reminder that an expansion was always planned since the game's Kickstarter. The only thing that's changed is the manner in which it will be issued.

"We've always been planning to do an expansion and the way we're really looking at it is that it needs to be a meaty expansion," Urquhart explained. "It needs to be this old-school expansion, not some DLC that's two or three hours of gameplay. What it looks like we're going to do, because this kind of expansion can take a while, we're going to split the expansion into two parts. It's going to be one full story that will go from part one to part two, but it's going to be two parts and anyone from Kickstarter that contributed will get both parts. They'll get the full expansion, but the best part is that they'll be able to play it early. We should have an announcement coming up soon."
Obsidian also released the new patch notes for the next game patch.
These are the tentative patch notes for 1.04. We have started generating builds for QA and are planning to release it in a few business days, if not sooner, depending on how testing goes. These are subject to change, and additional items may end up being added in the final notes. The team is now working on patch 1.05, and only critical fixes will be added to 1.04 to make sure we can release this as soon as we can. We are most definitely continuing to read through support threads and e-mails to us (even if we haven't been responsive enough, and we plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future!
More information.

Last edited:
awesome. i guess i ll wait till that pops up to start playing. really love that they are giving it for free to backers :D

Errr it is not free for backers. It is free for backers who backed the expansion which cost an extra 20 dollars ontop of your normal pledge. What I think he meant was the expansion is going to be in 2 parts and you paid for the expansion you get both parts not just the first.

The interview sounds like it applies to everyone but surely not - otherwise they would probably have to end up refunding people who pledged explicitly for the expansion. Especially when it was something they were actually selling separately on their store about 3 weeks ago…

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/326152

New Add-On

Due to popular demand and for a limited time, we are offering the ability to add our first expansion pack, due out approximately six months after Project Eternity ships. Any money contributed to add-on the expansion now will be used to make the main game larger. The expansion budget is not being created by money from this Kickstarter.

Digital Download of Expansion Pack + $20 (included in tiers $165 and above)

We will be sweetening the $165 reward tier with something extra in the upcoming days as well."

Last edited:
Errr it is not free for backers. It is free for backers who backed the expansion which cost an extra 20 dollars ontop of your normal pledge. What I think he meant was the expansion is going to be in 2 parts and you paid for the expansion you get both parts not just the first.

The interview sounds like it applies to everyone but surely not - otherwise they would probably have to end up refunding people who pledged explicitly for the expansion. Especially when it was something they were actually selling separately on their store about 3 weeks ago…
Well it's what Feargus told the interviewer. Maybe Obsidian changed their mind, and the backers who paid the extra $20 get it to only play it before everyone else?:S

You all can dream, but I sincerely doubt every backer will be getting the two-part expansion for free when it was a $20 addon on both the original Kickstarter as well as Obsidian's store up until a day or two ago.

That would be a well-deserved PR shitstorm.

Nobody is dreaming.;)

I was was just curious as my gifted copy gets the expansion for free thanks to a generous backer who also got extra copies when he pledged to the kickstarter.

I'm not sure if the expansion already existed as a $20 add-on when I pledged during the original campaign. The first expansion is simply a part of my pledge level ($165 and above get the first expansion for free) from my point of view. I don't care if it's $10 extra or $20 or whatever.
I fully expected to receive both parts of the expansion for free though. It's their problem if they decide to split up the release, not mine. Cheating backers out of the full free expansion by splitting it in two and making us pay for the second part by saying "hey we only promised you the first expansion for free and technically this is it" would have been an incredibly lame cash grab. Glad to receive confirmation that they are above such scams.

Nobody is dreaming.;)

I was was just curious as my gifted copy gets the expansion for free thanks to a generous backer who also got extra copies when he pledged to the kickstarter.

I don't think your gifted copy will get the expansion. It's possible but I am putting it down to a slip of a tongue.

It seems like commercial suicide to spend 6 months on an building an expansion and then give it away for free to the very people who are the ones most likely to buy it.

I don't think your gifted copy will get the expansion.
Well if Obsidian doesn't allow it $20 is nothing to spend on a game I love playing.^^

I'm not sure if the expansion already existed as a $20 add-on when I pledged during the original campaign. The first expansion is simply a part of my pledge level ($165 and above get the first expansion for free) from my point of view. I don't care if it's $10 extra or $20 or whatever.
I fully expected to receive both parts of the expansion for free though. It's their problem if they decide to split up the release, not mine. Cheating backers out of the full free expansion by splitting it in two and making us pay for the second part by saying "hey we only promised you the first expansion for free and technically this is it" would have been an incredibly lame cash grab. Glad to receive confirmation that they are above such scams.

"from my point of view", "I fully expected to receive both parts of the expansion for free", "It's their problem if they decide to split up the release" - with demands like that you'd think you were a majority owner of Obsidian.

Well if Obsidian doesn't allow it $20 is nothing to spend on a game I love playing.^^

For sure. I backed a reasonable amount on Pillars but I put down far more on WL2 and Torment. I regret it now and I wish I had of put more into this than WL2, even though I am sure I will enjoy WL2 when I eventually play it.

Pillars is already amazing and it is only going to get better with patches + expansions. I'm hoping it will grow into a franchise and we get a BG2-like quality sequel.

"from my point of view", "I fully expected to receive both parts of the expansion for free", "It's their problem if they decide to split up the release" - with demands like that you'd think you were a majority owner of Obsidian.

Well that, or just a rational person who's paid for something and expects to get it. I really don't get the people who think that those who paid for something are somehow now irrationally entitled because they expect to get what was promised.

How about a little analogy since something here seems to be flying over. You buy a car/toaster/whatever, the seller decides to split or dismantle it into multiple parts and gives you only one of those parts. Wow what a great deal, it will surely feel so fair and worthwhile and not at all a scam. I don't really know why I'm trying, I don't know if I can make an analogy simpler than the subject..

Idle speculation - Where in Eora would you like the expansion to be set? I'd go for Valian area because it sounds refined and technologically advanced. It would be fun if they come up with world's first machine gun.

I'll probably get this, though I hope they do something significant to the classes and mechanics. Not sure I really care for more content without system changes.

Hmmm, I backed at $140 so no expansion for me. I guess I'll get to buy it, but that's no biggie. I'm enjoying the main game at my plodding pace.

'spaz'... I haven't heard that technical term in quite a while.

Hopefully the save performance improvements will take this time.

Back
Top Bottom