RPGWatch - The Nostalgia Files: Baldur's Gate

Now that Couch and Aub are going steady, we need a bit of balance - or they'll conquer this little universe before we know it!

That's what's called hyperbole, boys and girls ;)

I can recommend a more measured approach, even as fans. But no biggie.

Dart is so amazing at expressing himself that I don't even need to write my own response. I can just use him to express me. ;)

And by measured, you mean like…"I disagree with Aubrielle that Baldur's Gate marked a dramatic shift in RPG's"? xD That might have been a little more measured.

You're amazing at expressing yourself, my friend. Truly. But you're not always consistent. ;)

I'm many things - good and bad, but inconsistent is NOT one of them, thank you ;)

Also, I don't know how I should feel about people going out of their way to avoid a "confrontation" with me these days.

Reminds me of the last date I went on.

I made dinner for the girl - and we're talking quality pizza - and as we were eating, I asked her what she thought of the date so far.

Her answer: You're very intimidating.

Fucking great :(

Also, I don't know how I should feel about people going out of their way to avoid a "confrontation" with me these days.

Reminds me of the last date I went on.

I made dinner for the girl - and we're talking quality pizza - and as we were eating, I asked her what she thought of the date so far.

Her answer: You're very intimidating.

Fucking great :(

…..LMAO!!!!!!

Aww, poor Dart…

I guess that's as close as I'll get to that ;)

I'll ask the next one I meet about it!

Just find yourself a nice lawyer or professor of Womens Studies or something. ;) You'll never have to worry about intimidating her ever again!

Just find yourself a nice lawyer or professor of Womens Studies or something. ;) You'll never have to worry about intimidating her ever again!

Of course, you wouldn't date her a 2nd time anyway, but at least she won't be intimidated :)

I thought BG was average at best, but since it basically brought AD&D back to the computer screen after the end of the Gold Box era; it is indeed a classic and vital piece of crpg gaming history. AD&D was hugely popular and people who never played crpgs bought BG in droves.

Citizen Kane is a classic movie - regardless of the thousands of people who think it's crap. Why? Because thousands pale in comparison to millions.

It's very, very simple.

You having the minority opinion does absolutely nothing to disturb BG being a classic.

Got to play with this to make it fit today :) Skyrim is a classic game - regardless of the thousands of people who think it's crap. Why? Because thousands pale in comparison to millions.

It's very, very simple.

You having the minority opinion does absolutely nothing to disturb Skyrim from being a classic.

All Skyrim all the time. Hail Bethesda ;)

Okay back to BG. I still think NWN was a better AD&D game and definitely a better engine, but it still didn't have the impact of good ol' BG.

My only beef with BG1 was the boring character customisation (only fixed in IWD2) and some interface issues (fixed in BG2).

For me it was simple: I had been playing Diablo to excess before, with two friends in a LAN and we had a blast. And all the while would we daydream about co-op like gameplay like that, but in a real CRPG. And then the first BG previews popped up in games magazines. We were ecstatic.

Unfortunately the game had its share of problems in MP mode, but it was really great as a single player game. The atmosphere was good, too.

I loved the IE games in MP with my wife. There were some lag and synchronization issues, but nothing gamebreaking.

The truth of the matter is that Dart is not always consistent in his viewpoints and he's not always amazing at expressing himself (unless volume is somehow "amazing"). But no one is perfect. ;)

Back OT. The definition of a classic is very much in the eye of the beholder. But if we are still positively referring to a game regularly in discussion 15 years later, it probably deserves to be on the classic list. Even NWN perhaps. :)

Last edited:
Got to play with this to make it fit today :) Skyrim is a classic game - regardless of the thousands of people who think it's crap. Why? Because thousands pale in comparison to millions.

It's very, very simple.

You having the minority opinion does absolutely nothing to disturb Skyrim from being a classic.

Okay back to BG. I still think NWN was a better AD&D game and definitely a better engine, but it still didn't have the impact of good ol' BG.
Skyrim is not a classic because not enough time has passed. But it has a potential to be one if enough people will still be playing it 15 years after its release.

But Skyrim has not brought anything new to the game, I would consider Morrowind to be the classic and Skyrim only a sequel to that. Compared to Morrowind Skyrim only has a more streamlined UI and mechanics and better graphics. No innovations.

It's very, very simple.

Nope, you need to wait a decade until we can make that determination. Being a classic is very much about standing the test of time.

The thing about TES games, though, is that they evolve quite significantly from game to game - especially in technical terms. So, we might end up with no single classic standing out over the others - because they keep replacing each other as the best example. In the eyes of the majority, that is. Some people think Daggerfall is "the TES classic" and others think Morrowind is the one. Eventually, a lot of people will think Skyrim is the one (trust me, we'll be talking a LOT more people than those who think MW or DF are the ones) - and who knows about the future?

In that same way, I don't think IWD2 is a "classic" as much as IWD - but BG and BG 2 are both classics, because they're so different and so loved by so many.

Back
Top Bottom