Shadowrun Returns - Pre-Purchase Now On Steam

Considering the fairly short development time and the $20 price, I'm tempted to say that some people seem a bit unreasonable in their expectations. I'm certainly no fan of checkpoint save systems when it comes to RPGs, but we're talking about a game that's 1/3 the cost of a AAA title.

Waiting to see what the reviews say before purchasing a game is not being "a bit unreasonable"; it's the hard lesson learned through decades of seeing promising games turn out to be utter, buggy crap. I have every hope that the game will turn out as splendidly as we hope, but it doesn't cost me anything to wait until after the release. :)

I wasn't interested in this game at first, but after viewing the demo my interest is piqued. Not sure about using save points, but that's probably just because I haven't used them before in a game. No inventory seems weird.

This one is on my radar, but as far as I know the creative team doesn't have a pedigree like inXile's or Obsidian's, so I didn't back it on Kickstarter. I'm in the 'check the reviews' camp. If it's good I'll probably pick it up. If not, not. It does seem like the dev cycle on this was pretty quick -- it funded almost exactly a year ago, about 2 weeks after Wasteland 2, but it's releasing 4-5 months sooner?

This one is on my radar, but as far as I know the creative team doesn't have a pedigree like inXile's or Obsidian's, so I didn't back it on Kickstarter. I'm in the 'check the reviews' camp. If it's good I'll probably pick it up. If not, not. It does seem like the dev cycle on this was pretty quick — it funded almost exactly a year ago, about 2 weeks after Wasteland 2, but it's releasing 4-5 months sooner?

It is not the exact same is it, Wasteland is way more complex and bigger.
Nonetheless it is indeed a short developing cycle it seems.

That certainly is a principled position. It's also absurd a sentiment as anything I've seen written here. My word. It's as if it's garlic to a vampire except the vampire has legitimate reasons for fear. Would a tablet burn your skin if I touched you with it?

Absurd to anyone developing dumbed down stuff for smartphones and tablets. Definetly.

Well, the current tablets are more powerful than any computer we had in the 90's for our RPG gaming.

And the touch-screen approach can work really well for anything turn-based. Less so for real-time games, and it's poor for real-time FPS.

Baldur's Gate on iPad has some clunky control issues - And those *could* have been fixed with a better port - But it's still the same game.

With the increasing popularity of tablets, in the upcoming years there are going to be quality turn-based RPG's, developed mainly for tablets (Also available on PC, of course).

I wasn't interested in this game at first, but after viewing the demo my interest is piqued. Not sure about using save points, but that's probably just because I haven't used them before in a game. No inventory seems weird.

That's because there IS an inventory. Whoever said that there wasn't going to be an inventory is either completely misinformed or trolling. Have you watched the alpha gameplay video? The characters have weapons, which can be bought at weapon shops. The Shaman has a backpack with magical fetishes. HBS has also stated there will be quest related items (i.e., a keycard that you can use to open a door).

It might be accurate to say that there will be a limited inventory. Ammunition is unlimited (but you have to spend an AP to reload when a clip runs out). There won't be any randomized loot system (i.e., no finding random nuyen on corpses).
But yes, there will be an inventory.

I like what I see of the game so far. The only turn off is the check save points, but if the game is good, that's not too big of an issue.

That said, I'm waiting for a bit yet. My game backlog is big enough that I can wait awhile, at least for the first batch of reviews and bug-fixes, if needed.

Yes, I should have been more precise. There is a limited inventory. E.g it was explained that taking three weapons on a run is a special ability of the Ninja class. Also looting plays a minor role, i.e. most opponents don't drop anything, instead the emphasis is on shopping before the run ( which is consistent eith the P&P, btw).
From what I heard this is also consistent wirh the old SNES games. So I'm fine with this, but not everyone will like it.

That's because there IS an inventory.

I thought someone here said no inventory.

The Shaman has a backpack with magical fetishes.

I have no idea what a magical fetish is, but now I'm intrigued. :devilish:

Like GhanBuriGhan said, check the 2nd edition (or did they update to 4th edition?) rules.

Was written on their Kickstarter page.

Look, if in the meantime they desided to trash the idea of tablets, I'll buy it as it means the game won't be restricted by things impossible to make on tablets. But I didn't see that written anywhere.

Did you even read what I said? I said that the PC version is being ported to tablets and not the other way around like you were saying. It is the tablet version that will be limited and not have all of the features that the PC version has. That means the PC version isn't being dumbed down because of the tablet version but rather the tablet version is being dumbed down because there are things in the PC version that can't be done easily on the tablet version. You don't have to worry about the PC version being dumbed down since it would be the same if there wasn't a tablet version.

You know, limited inventory is probably really good for me. I spend far too much time in games like Skyrim picking up every broken dish and toothpick ("It's worth a copper? Score!")and end up with chests full of food and weapons and armor and whatnot ("Hey, I might need this bow of Gerbil slaying later!") that I never, ever use.

Is there a cRPG "Packrats Anonymous"? "Hi, I'm Bill, and, and, ..., sigh, I am a packrat."

You know, limited inventory is probably really good for me. I spend far too much time in games like Skyrim picking up every broken dish and toothpick ("It's worth a copper? Score!")and end up with chests full of food and weapons and armor and whatnot ("Hey, I might need this bow of Gerbil slaying later!") that I never, ever use.

Is there a cRPG "Packrats Anonymous"? "Hi, I'm Bill, and, and, …, sigh, I am a packrat."

Woah, you're speaking my language. I'm a horrible packrat in games. In real life, I hate extra crap, so it really doesn't make sense.

Woah, you're speaking my language. I'm a horrible packrat in games. In real life, I hate extra crap, so it really doesn't make sense.

Yeah I also tend to go full-on hoarder in video games if they let me. Probably something I learned growing up on games like the latter Ultimas (U7 and UUW II in particular). By the end of games like those I'd have entire containers devoted to food, others devoted to valuables, piles of random keys, and others whose sole purpose was to store any odd and apparently unique items that may or may not end up being important. I basically learned to assume that anything unusual would have a use and that while most would only have one use that if you threw any away it would inevitably prove to be critical to advancing the plot later on.

Oh here's them being asked the whole loot question and how they actually answered it (video queued to relevant point):

http://youtu.be/jiEyFjdAr5M?t=20m20s

So yes there's inventory and there are things to pick up - just no loot dropping from NPCs unless its specific object/objects obtainable that way. From the discussion it sounds like there may be a point for example where a keycard might optionally be obtained by killing an NPC who has it.

Last edited:
I thought someone here said no inventory.

You're right, someone here did, but they've been misinformed.

I have no idea what a magical fetish is, but now I'm intrigued. :devilish:

Not as kinky as it sounds :p A fetish is an item that magic users consume to make casting certain spells (i.e., summoning powerful spirits) possible.

Back
Top Bottom