Oslo?

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor
G'day,
I have just confirmed I will be in Oslo as a tourist 21st & 22nd of May. I plan to try and see
  • Fram Museum - The Polar Ship Fram
  • Holmenkollen Ski Museum & Tower
  • The Viking Ship Museum
I plan to use an Oslo pass to get around.

Any ideas/thoughts as to what else would be good?

Thanks!

The Munch Museum (http://munchmuseet.no/en/). They have an exhibition at the moment with Van Gogh paintings as well.

And the Vigeland Park. (http://www.vigeland.museum.no/en). Lot's of very nice sculptures made by Gustav Vigeland.

Personally, I would select those two before the ones you listed, but then I'm more interested in art than history.

pibbur who lives and works in Bergen, otherwise he would come to meet the ozzie

Thanks pibbur.
I will certainly have a think about your ideas.

I am personally interested in the Fram having gone down to Antarctica for my 50th (after reading 80+ books on the heroic age of antarctic exploration) and seen both of Scott's huts as well as Shackleton's and Borchgrevink's as well. The Ski Jump & museum is to see what crazy things people do! And we don't have too many (any?) Viking ships down under.
I am also catching the train to Bergen and back on the weekend as I have been told it is beautiful. So the Aussie will be in Bergen albeit for one evening!

Peter S lives in Oslo, I'll suggest he reads this thread when I play DDO with him tomorrow.

Look here:
http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/

Museums:
http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/museums/

In the city center at the fjord vis a vis the railway station you have:
The Opera building. Nice to visit for a good view over the fjord. Possible
to climb up the ramp to the roof for the best view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_Opera_House#/media/File:Full_Opera_by_night.jpg

In the city center (between the Royal castle and the railway station) you have the:
The National Gallery
Historical museum

At Frogner (10 minutes with subway, tram or bus) you find:
The Vigeland Park. Nice park to walk in and lots of statues made by Gustav Vigeland.

At Bygdøy (15 minutes with bus or ferry) you have:
Fram museum (Roald Amundsen's ship that sailed to Antarctica)
Kontiki museum (Thor Heyerdahl's raft crossing the Pacific)
Viking ship museum
Norwegian Folk museum (many old buildings from different centuries). Quite nice actually.
Norwegian Maritime museum

Akershus castle is nice to visit. Good view over the fjord and a nice park. Within walking distance of the city centre.
The Armed Forces museum is there if you like to see how WW2 affected Norway.

At Tøyen (10 minutes with subway) you have museums like:
Munch museum (art by Edvard Munch)
National history museum. Consists of the Zoological Museum, the Mineralogical-Geological Museum, the Botanical Garden and greenhouses

At Kjelsås (20 mimutes with bus or tram) you find:
Norwegian Museum of Science & Technology

At Holmenkollen (20 minutes with subway) you have:
Holmenkollen ski park

If you like to feel the city life of Oslo you can walk from the railway station towards the royal castle along the main street, Karl Johans Gate. Here you pass the parliament building and the national theatre. It's also close to the national gallery. Going left from the national theatre you pass the city hall and end up in a nice area called Aker Brygge.

At Aker brygge you can walk along the fjord and see the city life. You find lots of bars, restaurants and shops, but the prices are high. If the weather is good it's very nice to walk here. You have a good view towards the Akershus castle so it's possible to walk there as well. Akershus castle gives you the best view of the fjord.

Holmenkollen gives a great view of all of Oslo.

It's also possible to join ferry trips on the fjord with the Oslo Pass. Very nice if the weather is good and warm.

Weather forecast for 21-22 May is partly cloudy and 12-14 degrees Celsius. Not warm so a ferry trip on the fjord can be a bit cold.

Last edited:
All very good advice, the Munch Scream is of course a must see!

If the weather gets nice I can second the boat trip it is quite nice, and it ends just next to the Nobel peace prize museum which you can also visit.... though be careful with your wallet while in Oslo... that city is soooo expensive!

You're in luck, at least to some degree. After the fall in the price of oil, the norwegian krone is significantly less worth (10%), at least compared to usd and euro.

It's still expensive, though.

Pibbur who isn't much wirth either

Why is Oslo so expensive? Would seem to be counterproductive for tourism especially.

Norway is expensive. High wages and relatively small income differences. Among orher things. Some things are heavily taxed, like alchohol.

Pibbur who is not troubled by this

I remember thinking Sweden was very expensive the one time I visited there. If a Swede tells me Norway is even more expensive then it's definitely WAY outside my price range!! And people say that Oz is expensive.

The Norwegian currency is weaker also compared to the Swedish coinage.

Hej, swedes: Time to come for a visit!!!

Actually, quite a number of swedes are working here these days, many of them in cafes', bakeries and such. Few language problems.

pibbur who observes that Norwegians and Swedes mostly understand each other, but whoi thinks that "iskrem" is the proper translation of "icecream", not "glass".

I remember thinking Sweden was very expensive the one time I visited there. If a Swede tells me Norway is even more expensive then it's definitely WAY outside my price range!! And people say that Oz is expensive.

Well, in Oslo things are about twice as expensive in Sweden :) or were before the Norwegian currency got weaker... it is kind of insane.

Well, in Oslo things are about twice as expensive in Sweden :) or were before the Norwegian currency got weaker… it is kind of insane.

Twice? I've checked some statistics in newspapers, and the difference is not nearly as huge as that. Hah! :)

pibbur who has said a million times people should not exaggerate!!

Twice? I've checked some statistics in newspapers, and the difference is not nearly as huge as that. Hah! :)

pibbur who has said a million times people should not exaggerate!!

Maybe not now, but last time I was in Oslo and bought a pizza it was 150 SEK, here the same kind of pizza was 70 SEK... same things on some other things... so I am underexaggerating if anything. However right now I don't know... what it is like.

Back
Top Bottom