INstalling Linux on a win10 machine

P

pibbur who

I have decided to install Linux (probably OpenSuse) on my laptop, which already have Win10. Does any of you have experience with that particular combinaton, and are there things I should be aware of?

I have installed Linux on windows (Xp) machines before, but that was many years ago.

pibbur who will search the net in addition to asking the watchers.

It's been a very long time since I last used a dual-OS setup, but I assume it's exactly the same as always.

Meaning, you'll have to set aside a partition for Linux that you install to - and use a boot manager to pick what OS you want to boot as you…. well, boot.

I assume there are several boot managers available for both Windows and Linux (though I guess they're not really OS specific by their very nature) - and I also assume they both have built-in managers that may or may not be sufficient.

I have no doubt there are detailed guides available around the net.

But why on Earth would you want that Linux crap on your machine?

I want Linux OS on my machine in addition to Windows. Not Linux crap. :)

I like Linux. It's fun. Besides, there are things I use that work better on Linux than Win 10, at the moment.

pibbur who

I want Linux OS on my machine in addition to Windows. Not Linux crap.

I like Linux. It's fun. Besides, there are things I use that work better on Linux than Win 10, at the moment.

pibbur who

An OS is fun?

Something works "better" - hehe.

I suspected there was no practical reason. That's usually the case with Linux freaks ;)

Have fun wasting time, space and effort!

The GRUB bootloader in Linux should handle booting to Windows as an option at startup. Typically, the installer will detect the existing Windows partition, resize it if need be, install side by side, and add the correct option to Grub. Things can go wrong of course, so I'd do a full disk image with something like Acronis first.

An OS is fun?
Oh yes.
Yes. As I specifically, mentioned, for Windows 10. It's MakeVKM which I use for ripping my DVD's and blu-rays. I have probems getting it to work properly under Win 10. (It runs OK on older Versions, but the only old version I have installed now is Xp.

I works as it should under Linux. I need it on my laptop, because my Linux machine doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, and I don't want to buy yet another one of those.

The problems with Win 10 will be sorted out eventually, of course, but I'm ripping my DVD's and Blu-Rays now.
I suspected there was no practical reason. That's usually the case with Linux freaks ;)

Thank you.

pibbur who is no Linux freak, just a casual Linux user.

The GRUB bootloader in Linux should handle booting to Windows as an option at startup. Typically, the installer will detect the existing Windows partition, resize it if need be, install side by side, and add the correct option to Grub. Things can go wrong of course, so I'd do a full disk image with something like Acronis first.

Yes, Grub has worked well on my previous dual installations. I was wondereing if there could be specific problems with Windows 10, but after googling a bit, that doesn't seem to be the case.

pibbur

EDIT: I don't bother taking an Image Backup. It's not my main computer, therefore there is almost nothing important on it (don't use it for mail), and the few things that are, aren't living only on the Laptop. It's just programs, developing tools and games. If anything goes wrong, I get the opportunity to do a fresh win 10 installation.

Last edited:
An OS is fun?

You are just ignorant about the wonders of Linux!

Yes, Grub has worked well on my previous dual installations. I was wondereing if there could be specific problems with Windows 10, but after googling a bit, that doesn't seem to be the case.

pibbur

The only thing that leaps to mind is that Secureboot might have to be disabled in the BIOS, but at the stage of the bootloader handling the partitions, I don't think anything significant has changed with Win 10. I haven't tried it myself, though.

EDIT: Opensuse appears to be quite significantly behind other distros in terms of performance, in some tests. This might be significant to the speed of movie ripping.

Last edited:
I guess I failed making fun of this, as even pib took it seriously.

Sorry about that :(

There is a watcher or two who I sometimes find hard to take seriously.

Unfortunately you're not one of them. :)

Pibbur

Last edited:
I kind of hate UEFI even now. When I read that it can be enabled to contact the PC over network BEFORE the PC starts, I immediately thought : "Possible security hole ! At the far deepest level anyone could ever imagine !"

Funny you should say this, i've been doing a lot of dual boot experimenting on my laptops with Win 10 and Linux. I prefer the lightweight XFCE desktop so I've been alternating between Linux Mint and Xubuntu. With win7 it was pretty straight forward for dual booting but after 8.1 it doesn't recognize the OS but that just means you setup your partitions manually. I've been testing out Steam on both Win10 and Linux and with the right drivers performance is great on both platforms. (Been trying Pillars, Torchlight 2 and waiting for D:OS EE to test on Linux)

...MakeVKM which I use for ripping my DVD's and blu-rays. I have probems getting it to work properly under Win 10. (It runs OK on older Versions, but the only old version I have installed now is Xp.

I works as it should under Linux. I need it on my laptop, because my Linux machine doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, and I don't want to buy yet another one of those.

The problems with Win 10 will be sorted out eventually, of course, but I'm ripping my DVD's and Blu-Rays now.

FYI: The problem With Windows 10 and makemkv has been sorted out. The latest version, 1.9.7 works as it should.

pibbur who still wants to install Linux on his Laptop. Eventuially.

Back
Top Bottom