BioShock 2 - Nine Minutes of Play @ Kotaku

I enjoyed Bioshock 1 very much, and I am quite sure I will give the sequel a try unless it gets horrible reviews. But honestly, I don't think this looks that interesting. More of the same, except that there seems to be even more emphasis on action. Also, Big Sister? Sounds like the kind of "creativity" that goes into many sequels. Take something out of the original and make it either bigger, or change the gender.

Also, the story that makes Rapture interesting, the one about a failed utopian society, has already been told.

Well, who knows. The game might be good. But I would prefer a "spiritual successor" with a new setting to a sequel.

I have to admit the video actually looks pretty good, and even has me slightly interested in BS2 now. But I also agree that the idea of returning to Rapture 10 years later is dubious at best. Rapture was falling apart during the first Bioshock, and they gave you the impression that it was almost on the verge of collapse.

Sadly, it seems they've kept the Bioshock simplified shooter gameplay, so it won't be any nearer to System Shock.

But the premise of Bioshock was amazing - and maybe the sequel will manage to deliver an experience that lives up to that premise. The first one failed utterly to do this, but up until Ryan it was a fascinating game, because I expected something pretty profound to match the whole Ayn Rand philosophical implications thing.

Back
Top Bottom